Ratsun Dying?

7 hours ago, jbirds510 said:

Powerland (Ratsun/Canbyish) is the peoples show, I just coordinate. Ive set the prices so low that a fella could swap a few bits n pieces to fund the trip..the swap is free with admission so theres no cost to do just that. The choice was made to keep the awards simple to prevent potential elitist division and politics. wrench to drive and drive to wrench this shit is for you! Personally I like the never finished but driven cars best anyway. But the show isnt for me its for all and NOONE should ever feel  unwelcome in primer or in a car that still has big dreams unrealized. Its more about coming together to share time with like minded people, making friends and seeing old friends. No bullshit drama and popularity contests. This will be year 3. Its going to be amazing. Looking forward to seeing everyone! No excuses just good times. Even if your car is down, thats ok. Come anyway bring a tent, bring your spares, bring the spirit! 62 acres for us to enjoy..Datsun only. 

I know you probably don't hear it enough but thank you for all the time and effort you put into making that show happen

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's been a few years since I went but there used to be an unorganized and unofficial meet up on Thursday evenings ( I think ) at a Starbucks at the corner of El Camino Real and Lawrence expressway in Santa Clara, another weekly event I would sometimes attend was at another Starbucks in Capitola where hot rodders of all types came early on weekend mornings. Both were fun, met a few folks and saw cars up close just hanging out in a parking lot no organization just show up and hang out.

• Like 4

You can compare Ratsun to a party. People show up and are excited, information is exchanged and Mike takes that weird looking girl home, but then he comes back to the party after he finds out the truth. and then folks get tired and start leaving. 

In the end, you have a few folks milling around the remains of the barbecue in the back yard arguing about something that nobody else really got into because it was not about Datsuns. 

There is only so much info that can be exchanged, until the new thing lands, that is already known. Another Strut Thread? Another Wiring Thread? Another Wheels Thread? and so on....

Most of the folks I see at meets already know most of this and have no real use to be on here. New folks come by, ask a question, get answers and move on. And again, only a few remain standing around arguing about something dumb. 

The End

• Like 7
20 hours ago, Ooph! said:

It's been a few years since I went but there used to be an unorganized and unofficial meet up on Thursday evenings ( I think ) at a Starbucks at the corner of El Camino Real and Lawrence expressway in Santa Clara, another weekly event I would sometimes attend was at another Starbucks in Capitola where hot rodders of all types came early on weekend mornings. Both were fun, met a few folks and saw cars up close just hanging out in a parking lot no organization just show up and hang out.

That's the way it's supposed to be.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ooph! said:

https://celeb.gate.cc/mary-magdalene/gallery.html

And should you be unwise enough to click that link....

tenor.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
On 3/15/2022 at 10:55 AM, Farmer said:

I use to hang out with all the Boise guys during Canby. And for years I told them they need to do a meet up/ show there and I would travel over to attend.  of course Neil move to Utah and I think that kind of fizzled that out.

Bananahamuck  nailed it on the head.  "the same people won’t show up even if it was 20 miles from their house "..

Wayno also nailed it by saying one word, Drama!  Lots of people left over the drama here on ratsun a few years ago.  I was getting tired of it too

Chester also moved away… and Datsunfreak passed away a couple years ago 😞… Even without Neil or those guys there are lots of other guys here, and I’m sure he’d come visit for a meet. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
On 3/13/2022 at 10:14 PM, datzenmike said:

Computers were steam powered when I was a kid. You don't know how lucky you are today.

Lol... lucky?

I also remember when there were no computers or internet ...and the definition of a mindless waste of time was hanging out in the garage working on a project 

• Like 1
On 3/17/2022 at 11:27 AM, sick620 said:

Chester also moved away… and Datsunfreak passed away a couple years ago 😞… Even without Neil or those guys there are lots of other guys here, and I’m sure he’d come visit for a meet. 

Yeah, that was a shocker about datsunfreak

On 3/13/2022 at 3:19 PM, Cleopatra Jones said:

I'm on here from time to time. Not as often as I used to be. Mostly I lurk without signing in anymore. I think a lot of us are still here but sometimes life takes over. Also, signing in on an iPhone is still a no go. Can't see the sign in link. I don't know how other phones show the sign in link if at all. I can see it on my iPad but only if I turn it horizontal. Ever since that change a while back it's been a problem. And why did our other descriptive names have to disappear? I liked having Cleopatra Jones above my pic. Hell, if I had known when I originally signed up that what we put in as our username was going to be our screen name I would've done that. But, you know, freaking noobs.

Hey Kim hopefully this works for you, I just recently figured it out myself. When you get on here tap in this spot. 

3525DED1-34C9-4436-B8E2-AD0AF3C519CC.jpeg

And that should pull up the sign in page. I took a long break myself, partially because of not knowing how to sign in on my iPhone. 

Edited by The Taterhead
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, The Taterhead said:

Hey Kim hopefully this works for you, I just recently figured it out myself. When you get on here tap in this spot. 

3525DED1-34C9-4436-B8E2-AD0AF3C519CC.jpeg

And that should pull up the sign in page. I took a long break myself, partially because of not knowing how to sign in on my iPhone. 

Who knew ratsun had a sweet spot?! I’m on a desktop all damn day for work anyhow but this is good to know. Especially when I should be sleeping but I’m sitting here staring at my iPad.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 12:52 AM, sick620 said:

I know we might get some of the old trolls back or some new ones, but I bet skib could dust off the trusty ban hammer 🔨….

I thought I felt a summoning.... 

Iv been here for 14 years...  I dont have the time to be on like I did like 10 years ago lol

Or there was times I was on the road or something, spent some time up in the artic for a while... 

but Im always lurking around and posting a build thread when Iv had a car worth covering. 

• Like 3

Cars in general are a hobby in decline. High scrap prices on the project side + Barret Jackson pricing on daily drivers keep new folks from joining the hobby in the numbers they did 20-30 years ago + millenials and zoomers are much more about smartphones and vidya games than they are cars.

In my youth (late 1980s) you wanted a car and a girl to get nekked with you in the aforementioned car. Lots of these younger guys are asexual and automotive indifferent. I dunno, man - we always said if it has tits or tires it's gonna give ya problems. Maybe these generations took that shit to heart.

Image2894d.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by a.d._510_n_ok
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
On 3/17/2022 at 11:27 AM, sick620 said:

and Datsunfreak passed away a couple years ago 😞… 

The Datsunfreak (from Texas) that has been on here as long as I have, and still posts a few times per week.  Him and I mostly hang out in other non-Datsun areas of Ratsun.  I'm thinking you meant someone else, but used the wrong username...

Even though him and I are Datsun-less at the moment, we are still both Datsun enthusiasts.

5 hours ago, a.d._510_n_ok said:

Cars in general are a hobby in decline. High scrap prices on the project side + Barret Jackson pricing on daily drivers keep new folks from joining the hobby in the numbers they did 20-30 years ago + millenials and zoomers are much more about smartphones and vidya games than they are cars.

In my youth (late 1980s) you wanted a car and a girl to get nekked with you in the aforementioned car. Lots of these younger guys are asexual and automotive indifferent. I dunno, man - we always said if it has tits or tires it's gonna give ya problems. Maybe these generations took that shit to heart.

Image2894d.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I wouldn't say its on the decline, cars are more popular now than 10 years ago. Ive been into them all my life and normies buy a 350 and all of a sudden know everything about cars

americancar kind of a different story, since gen Xers unherited their dad's 72 trans am and think its worth a million dollars 

You don't see hardly any older vehicles around here fixed up.People give me so many look's and compliments when they see my 720.It's like the younger one's are not in too it and the older one's are too lazy..The hobby that is dying.But not me.I will get buried in it...with my Pink Floyd blarring...You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today....

100_9227.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 2