6 minutes ago, paradime said:

It's easy to say the grass is always greener, but when your lawn is dead, it is greener. 

Right. But how long can I beat my head against the wall? Trying to survive in CA is getting tough, and where else in the country can I move and maintain the life we have built? I won't go where there is less water, so AZ, NM, CO and UT are out. I don't want to live in the plains states either because I've grown accustomed to the mountains. I could go east, but man, not interested in surrounding myself with Trump fans. I suppose I could go to AK, but the cost of living there is high. Speaking in terms of the cost of goods. New England would be nice, but the thought of having vehicle safety inspections is ridiculous. To me at least...

• Like 1
  • Replies 16.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Right. But how long can I beat my head against the wall? Trying to survive in CA is getting tough, and where else in the country can I move and maintain the life we have built? I won't go where there is less water, so AZ, NM, CO and UT are out. I don't want to live in the plains states either because I've grown accustomed to the mountains. I could go east, but man, not interested in surrounding myself with Trump fans. I suppose I could go to AK, but the cost of living there is high. Speaking in terms of the cost of goods. New England would be nice, but the thought of having vehicle safety inspections is ridiculous. To me at least...

AK is still a bunch of Trump fans. Can always try western MT. No industry but you could survive if you have property to sell off in CA. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Mattndew76 said:

AK is still a bunch of Trump fans. Can always try western MT. No industry but you could survive if you have property to sell off in CA. 

I've considered MT. Beautiful country.

1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

Try PNW of Canada, mountains, not that cold but is wet Nov.- March. Gets down to freezing but barely dips below. LOTS of fresh air where I am. Gets hot on the mainland.

Yes, that is my first choice. I don't mind the rain, but my wife and daughter hate rainy season. That said, the move would be for my kids. Being selfish and going where I want to go, but then not thinking about the future of my kids, that's not my goal. I want them to be able to thrive once I'm gone.

I've searched your area on maps and pics and stats and it looks ideal. How long have you been there? The problem is - it's not easy to move from the US to Canada.

I've even considered parts of the WA coastal areas, but WA is becoming CA-lite.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Try PNW of Canada, mountains, not that cold but is wet Nov.- March. Gets down to freezing but barely dips below. LOTS of fresh air where I am. Gets hot on the mainland.

I can confirm this. One of the best wilderness areas I have gone. 

• Like 3

I've been here just over 30 years. Long before you are gone your kids will have left the nest and their future will be in their hands. We are the bows and they are the arrows. I have three and they are in central BC, Albortia near Edmonton and southern Onterrible. As to rainy season, I got used to it quickly enough but I worked outdoors. You know you have acclimatized when you stop running from the car to the supermarket door when it's raining. It's only water. The good more than makes up for any 'bad'. I stopped telling old friends back east about how great it was out here. Best kept secret. 

You don't need snow tires and the rain constantly washes any salt off, what little they use is for frosty mornings, so rust is way less of a problem.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I could go east, but man, not interested in surrounding myself with Trump fans.

2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I've even considered parts of the WA coastal areas, but WA is becoming CA-lite.

Mmkay now I are cornfused?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ooph! said:

Poetry to live by: 

Sparkle sparkle little twink, who the heck I are you think? I'm not under the affluence of incohol like some thinkal peep I are. All I know is, the drunker I sit here the longer I get and the more confusing I are becomes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

"Trump fans"? There are some who buy into all his bullshit, which are often portrayed by the media as backwards/backwoods idiots, but what those "idiots" lack in social refinement they make up for in the voting booth. Very similar to religion, I do not consider myself religious and I find fault in the teachings of all major world religions (ranked by size) I would even go so far as the damage of the major world religions outweigh their benefits.
All that being said, more often than not, my views on freedom and social responsibility/fiscal responsibility and the role of government, align with those who identify with religion. In the same way, as of now, my views on freedom and social responsibility/fiscal responsibility and the role of government, align with the Republican party and Trump. 
If I were moving and concerned for the future, I would pick, far North in the mountains of Idaho or the surrounding. The Boise and the metropolitan areas are nice for now, but we are fast tracking to be another Seattle/Portland/Seattle. If the Idaho winters of 30-40 years ago come back, I think Idaho will lose its luster to the masses, but the winters might not come back, which is why I would go North. Harsh winters thin the herd, but increase appreciation of summer/spring/fall and with preparation can be handled more effectively and easier than mobs wanting to take. 

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, paradime said:

Poetry to live by: 

Sparkle sparkle little twink, who the heck I are you think? I'm not under the affluence of incohol like some thinkal peep I are. All I know is, the smoker I drink the player I get

There, a blast from '73.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

You probably wouldn't even know you were surrounded by Trump fans.If you live out in the hills here in Cali you probably already are surrounded by them.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I found myself last summer googling "how to move to Canada". So many little things are all adding up to me wanting out of CA and even out of the US. Moving to Canada would be a homecoming of sorts for me, since I was raised in northern Minnesota, I'm already used to the cold.

I just talked to an older Canadian customer today, more conservative than anything else...............he said the politics there are just as bad as here, if you pay attention to it!  Trudeau is as bad as Newsom, in my perspective...............

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Ooph! said:

I'm also confused by that.If you don't want to be surrounded by Trump fans (whatever that means)  California is the place to be.And isn't Washington now worse than California ? Or very close to it ? Myself,I don't want to be surrounded by Newsom fans but I'm staying for awhile longer.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

You really need a three party system. Dems, GOP and Trump haters.

I thought the Dems WERE the Trump haters - "It's all Trump's fault"

is their chant.

I don't agree with a lot of what Trump does (or has done),but I do

know this country was much better off when he was President.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, john510 said:

I'm also confused by that.If you don't want to be surrounded by Trump fans (whatever that means)  California is the place to be.And isn't Washington now worse than California ? Or very close to it ? Myself,I don't want to be surrounded by Newsom fans but I'm staying for awhile longer.

You might also consider SW Virginia.

3 minutes ago, angliagt said:

I thought the Dems WERE the Trump haters - "It's all Trump's fault"

is their chant.

I don't agree with a lot of what Trump does (or has done),but I do

know this country was much better off when he was President.

It was certainly more interesting...

• Like 1