Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Hmmmm.... airplanes hold pressure in. Subs hold pressure out.

Stockton Rush  and Thomas Andrews Jr both were killed by the thing that they engineered and built. They both lie together on the bottom.

I guess it turned into a one-way trip.

• Like 1

25 June 2023,17:00 hr. 🇺🇸 The Federal News Today, Explained: Why does a submarine implode ...

US Coastguard Officials Make A Public Statement Regarding The Titan Sub:

"Had The Crew And Passengers On Board The Titan Been Waring Life Vests, This Tragedy Could Have Been Avoided".

Captan Charlie Starkist of the US Coast Guard announced 5 deaths from a “catastrophic implosion” on Thursday. "Crews are still looking for evidence of what occurred on the Mid Atlantic Coast near the Titanic shipwreck, 12,500 feet below the surface. Let this be an example of unsafe boating for all of us, because it's all fun and games until it's not" said Starkist.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, paradime said:

25 June 2023,17:00 hr. 🇺🇸 The Federal News Today, Explained: Why does a submarine implode ...

"Had The Crew And Passengers On Board The Titan Been Waring Life Vests, This Tragedy Could Have Been Avoided".

Captan Charlie Starkist of the US Coast Guard announced 5 deaths from a “catastrophic implosion” on Thursday. "Crews are still looking for evidence of what occurred on the Mid Atlantic Coast near the Titanic shipwreck, 12,500 feet below the surface. Let this be an example of unsafe boating for all of us, because it's all fun and games until it's not" said Starkist.

Is this parody? This person cannot be real. 

2 hours ago, paradime said:

Might as well have said seatbelts or hard hats. Charlie Starkist.... that's good!

47 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Might as well have said seatbelts or hard hats. Charlie Starkist.... that's good!

Someone have the nutz to ask about the N95 masks, already !!

I just did; But I digress.

3 hours ago, Mattndew76 said:

Is this parody? This person cannot be real. 

More like creative ultra fake news. I just copied the standard format for internet news headlines to make it look legit. Then threw in as many spoof Easter eggs in there as I could, without being too obvious. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Yes, but the USCG doesn't fine you for not having enough seatbelts or hard hats for everyone on board your vessel. 

Spoofing2.png

Edited by paradime
On 6/24/2023 at 5:06 PM, datzenmike said:

At work I told a bunch of engineers that nothing has ever been engineered for the first time that worked and kept working. All engineering is based on previous failures and learned lessons. All their tables of material strengths and building codes are based on some tragic catastrophic event in the past. They didn't like hearing that, (they think they are gods) but it's true. Failures teach you how to do it right. Hard lessons are lessons well learned.

Those engineers definitely think they know it all.Some of the worst pain in the ass people I've built staircases for were engineers.One of them insisted we compound miter the handrail to avoid vertical and level transitions to get legal height on the rail.After 30 minutes of back and forth telling him it won't compound like he thinks it will I call in my boss for backup.30 minutes later my boss hands him some handrail and says here you go show us how to do it.The guy finally realized we were right and he wasn't.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, paradime said:

I've seen life vests go to war, and it is NOT pretty..

When the vests come lose, you can loose the straps..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, john510 said:

Those engineers definitely think they know it all.Some of the worst pain in the ass people I've built staircases for were engineers.One of them insisted we compound miter the handrail to avoid vertical and level transitions to get legal height on the rail.After 30 minutes of back and forth telling him it won't compound like he thinks it will I call in my boss for backup.30 minutes later my boss hands him some handrail and says here you go show us how to do it.The guy finally realized we were right and he wasn't.

Book smart vs applied smart. Engineers have a way of imagining things in their mind that can't be done in the physical world. That's why they get paid the big$. To meet rail hight code requirements over transitions, manufacturers make curved sections of railing for that very reason. 

3 hours ago, paradime said:

Book smart vs applied smart. Engineers have a way of imagining things in their mind that can't be done in the physical world. That's why they get paid the big$. To meet rail hight code requirements over transitions, manufacturers make curved sections of railing for that very reason. 

"Engineers have a way of imagining things in their mind that can't be done in the physical world."

Lol, I remember seeing that in real life with a Mech Eng. PhD.

He had designed and built this extremely complex device to basically pull a string based on some finely tuned dampers and weights (based on an idealized curve for certain viscoelastic properties to alter the speed of the string).... and completely ignored the reality of friction in his device. Which of course meant it did not work in any realistic way. When I suggested that he could 1. just program a motor to wind up the string at the variable rate he wanted or use a linear actuator (which we had several programmable ones to do just that) or  2. design a cam that did the same (if he wanted to go fully mechanical) he was not amused and continued on with his assertion "that he could get it to work". He was not able to get it to work. 

11 hours ago, paradime said:

Yea I know about up easings and over easings.The problem is they only work in a straight line.You would have to use custom shaped pieces to make transitions and stair parts builders don't stock such things for every configuration of stair.Occasionally we used a guy that made custom shapes for us but he died of old age and nobody around here does work like that anymore.

8 minutes ago, john510 said:

Yea I know about up easings and over easings.The problem is they only work in a straight line.You would have to use custom shaped pieces to make transitions and stair parts builders don't stock such things for every configuration of stair.Occasionally we used a guy that made custom shapes for us but he died of old age and nobody around here does work like that anymore.

What? You don't hand carve custom wreathed transitions for all your handrails? Amateur hour! 😆

This is why airplanes crash, you just can't foresee everything. When it happens you find out why and add to the books. Same with building and infrastructure collapses and or failures. Flying buttresses. They didn't just happen. They were in response to cathedral collapses and not knowing about lateral loads on stone columns.  

No one went to the moon on the first try. It took more than 10 years of learning and failures.... and still things went wrong.

Some of the best engineers that I worked with over 50 years in electronic, pump manufacturing, and aircraft fields were the ones who spent the most time on the manufacturing floor and a number of those had actually came from the manufacturing world. It's a matter of perspective. Much easier to communicate with. Don't know how many times I've seen strictly book-learned pinheads paint manufacturing right up into a tight-ass corner.

Edited by difrangia
  • Like 2