12 hours ago, frankendat said:

I would have expected more from you. During our lifetimes, the rights of the individual vs the rights of the community has been under attack and individual rights are losing.  It is likely, such conflict is inevitable and eternal, but I have neither time nor inclination to research that supposition.

Regarding suppositions, they are by nature, uncertain. I may frame suppositions, in definitive terms, and supply supporting facts/evidence as bulwark. Especially, when I believe an argument has endured constant attack for so long, it almost embraces the self evident  

Regarding fallacious argument, the structure of an argument is not absolute in assessing veracity. Moreover, I have no desire to indulge in a “high school debate”, as such structured debate and evidence formats have been submarined by the proliferation of mass information. Time and understanding has been subverted by the proliferation of conformation bias machines and public need for the unsettling of their opponent’s position; a need that overrides fact checking and/or critical thinking. Additionally, debating specifics and internet statistics is a fool’s errand. 

Admittedly,  I choose inflammatory terminology, in proportion to value ascribed or in frustration to willful ignorance, and employ information based directly on my experience or on the experience of those I trust.

If you believe, I am in error, please provide evidence facts/argument in rebuttal. If you believe I am a liar, continued correspondence serves no purpose.

Sniping without substance speaks ill of your character.

Trust me frank, I share your disappointment.

Destruction had a great conversation exploring bias confirmation and possible realistic solutions for reducing gun violence for the "entire" US while protecting American's individual rights to own guns. Occasionally you chimed in offering hyperbolic "inflammatory terminology", subjective anecdotal evidence "based directly on MY experience" with ZERO hard data/fact/evidence to back up your suppositions. That's why "with 15 minutes of research, a high school student could tare you apart". Now you say that condensing this substance "speaks ill of your character."  

I totally agree with your statement that conformation bias has "a need that overrides fact checking and/or critical thinking."  I also notice that here and in other replies you've repeated "I have neither time nor inclination to research that supposition", while again asking that your work be done for you with "If you believe I am in error, please provide evidence facts/argument in rebuttal." This when you've framed your anecdotal suppositions in definitive terms such as "facts/evidence." This colorful oratory skill can be used to express an opinion with flare and style, but it's not what a bulwark position is built on. If your anecdotal evidence is supporting your opinion there is no error to be found. If you're stating it as factual evidence, let's talk about that and we'll see who's willfully ignorant.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just who fact checks the fact checkers? Huh?????

For every fact there is a fact that disputes it, and is also true.

Truth has an expiry date. At one time the sun revolved around the earth.

Opinions, by definition, cannot be wrong. Good luck using facts to prove someone's opinion wrong.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Opinions, by definition, cannot be wrong. Good luck using facts to prove someone's opinion wrong.

What about someone's opinion the eath is flat? Easy to prove those kind of dingleberries are just plain fucking nuts, defective units, dumshits whatever.  BLM are only peaceful protesters says the guy with the fire over his shoulder. Instantly discredited as a dumbshit and not to be believed now or ever. In my humble opinion of course.

• Like 2

Faith, opinion and belief. Faith does not answer to logic or facts so is the stronger of the three. Belief is rooted in facts and logic. At least it is open to change by more facts and logic, but with difficulty. Opinion is a mix of the two and is little affected by a frontal assault. Opinion is changed by subtly of new information, if at all.  

On 5/30/2022 at 11:30 PM, frankendat said:

I would have expected more from you. During our lifetimes, the rights of the individual vs the rights of the community has been under attack and individual rights are losing.  It is likely, such conflict is inevitable and eternal, but I have neither time nor inclination to research that supposition..........

11 hours ago, paradime said:

Trust me frank, I share your disappointment.

Destruction had a great conversation exploring bias confirmation and possible realistic solutions for reducing gun violence for the "entire" US while protecting American's individual rights to own guns. Occasionally you chimed in offering hyperbolic "inflammatory terminology", subjective anecdotal evidence "based directly on MY experience" with ZERO hard data/fact/evidence to back up your suppositions. That's why "with 15 minutes of research, a high school student could tare you apart". Now you say that condensing this substance "speaks ill of your character."  

Now the argument is about arguing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
tangent

tăn′jənt

noun

1. A line, curve, or surface meeting another line, curve, or surface at a common point and sharing a common tangent line or tangent plane at that point.
  2. The trigonometric function of an acute angle in a right triangle that is the ratio of the length of the side opposite the angle to the length of the side adjacent to the angle.
  3. A sudden digression or change of course.
19 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Just who fact checks the fact checkers? Huh?????

For every fact there is a fact that disputes it, and is also true.

That second sentence ? Come on.A fact is a fact and it's truth.2+2=4 this isn't my opinion,it's a fact and can't be disputed with somebody elses fact ! 

• Like 1

2 what + 2 what? one could say without enough info 2+2 could be 24 if they were talking about 2 dozen + 2 dozen or 2 pair + 2 pair=8.. Ive talked to people generous with informative details and some who you have to painstakingly extract every last detail to be precise..I know I know unlikely 2+2 means anything other than just that that but ya never know, right?

53 minutes ago, john510 said:

That second sentence ? Come on.A fact is a fact and it's truth.2+2=4 this isn't my opinion,it's a fact and can't be disputed with somebody elses fact ! 

It's my own axiom, (though I'm sure someone else has thought of it) and I accept it as true though unprovable. 2 + 2 does not always equal 4. I have a glass of water that is 2 degrees F. I have a second glass of water equal in every way and also at 2 F. I add them together but they do not measure 4 degrees F. Ah you tricked me you say. That was easy, so maybe other facts you accept as true you just have to look harder and longer to find one that counters it equally. Maybe all truth has an anti truth out there.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

It's my own axiom, (though I'm sure someone else has thought of it) and I accept it as true though unprovable. 2 + 2 does not always equal 4. I have a glass of water that is 2 degrees F. I have a second glass of water equal in every way and also at 2 F. I add them together but they do not measure 4 degrees F. Ah you tricked me you say. That was easy, so maybe other facts you accept as true you just have to look harder and longer to find one that counters it equally. Maybe all truth has an anti truth out there.

Not all math is arithmetic... 

• Like 1

Depends what you are adding. If it's 8 AM and you agree to meet someone in 8 hours you don't say "See you at 16 o'clock."

It was god's truth that the sun revolved around the earth and was so for longer than the earth has been revolving around the sun today. So what's a fact but something that can be taken away by another fact.

11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

A glass of water at a certain temperature is not a number.Where do you come up with this shit ? Are you stoned ? 

• Like 3

I despise bullshit semantics almost as much as I despise the people that spew it. There is always some half smart arsehat that needs to derail a conversation with an obscure interpretation of a statement that everyone has an understanding of just so they can feed their own intellectual ego. You're not being clever or witty your being fucking irritating.  Worse, you sound like a politician.  

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Str8jacket said:

I despise bullshit semantics almost as much as I despise the people that spew it. There is always some half smart arsehat that needs to derail a conversation with an obscure interpretation of a statement that everyone has an understanding of just so they can feed their own intellectual ego. You're not being clever or witty your being fucking irritating.  Worse, you sound like a politician.  

Derailment is way too harsh and permanent. But right, lets keep arguing about the finer points of arguing about the destruction of America. Call it an intermission, a time out, a recess, a cleansing of the pallet before we go on. 

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Derailment is way too harsh and permanent. But right, lets keep arguing about the finer points of arguing about the destruction of America. Call it an intermission, a time out, a recess, a cleansing of the pallet before we go on. 

Probably right, too harsh. I had just read a article from some university wank bag saying that a children's book about a hungry caterpillar is detrimental to kids as it doesn't have enough gender diversity. Then had to sit through an hour long work prestart listening to the same ground hogs day bullshit safety pus being treated like some midly retarded 4 year old by a jumped up work dodger who has been side shifted to a supervisory role. Someone had to cop a whingy rant, may as well be you guys. 

• Thanks 1
On 6/1/2022 at 4:33 PM, john510 said:

The more answers I have, the less I understand. Lao Tzu, 500 BCE 

I went to Perry's for breakfast this morning

2 hours ago, paradime said:

The more answers I have, the less I understand. Lao Tzu, 500 BCE 

I went to Perry's for breakfast this morning

On Datsuns.... the more I know, the more aware I am of just how little I really know.

I visited my American Standard after breakfast.

• Haha 1