Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Homicide (gun) rate in Canada per 100,000 people is 0.61 while suicides are 1.52

In the US its 4.46 (7.3 X) and 7.32 (4.8 X) So there's your price for 'freedom' to love and bare arms. Think of it as a freedom tax or a cost to do business. We also can own some guns if we are eligible. We also have some freedoms, but we don't go on and on about it.

BTW Brazil is over 20 per 100,000. Go figure.

I accept your numbers and agree your interpretation has validity. Terms like "eligible" and "some freedoms" get my hackles up, because I'm hypersensitive to terminology, but that might be an American thing. 💩

As for going "on and on" about it, I have been tired of the arrogant weakness displayed by the left for many years and would have retired and lived in my peaceful corner of the United States, far from the city kids and city problems. Those aspirations have been stolen and are now fantasy. It is and has been a two front war, perhaps the greatest examples of bi-partisanship in the 21st Century, is the staggering amount of wealth ripped from the many for the few. It is criminal to invade my neighborhood with those demanding accommodation (of themselves and their ideologies) while simultaneously crippling my ability to leave. I am still a ways out from "retirement" age, (retirement might be another stolen dream) the financial hit of relocation (if job opportunities are even available) would certainly kill it. I don't care what TED talk makes whatever claim, crime follows population density like night follows day. I have lived it, twice, fuck contrary manipulated stats. In addition to increasing traffic dramatically, raising prices and raising taxes, forcing me from my home, now I could be "cancelled" for saying the wrong thing, police are militarized and discussing anything firearm is a good way to become a enforcement target. I go on and on about these issues because it is in my face everyday. I have participated in growth management meetings,  testified at City Council with many of my neighbors, even offered compromise.  After more than a year and half a dozen city meetings, not only was our position summarily dismissed, not one concession or compromised was granted, not one.

The anti gun, anti free speech, anti liberty crowd are zealots, their campaigns are based in the subjective and the fearful. I spend time writing these essays, in hope to bring pause to rational thinkers who are tempted to accept to the propaganda. Those in power (both sides) are determined to control the American people regardless of the cost.

To return to the incident, prompting the latest outcry, I was pressed for a solution. I am not without opinions on this subject, but lack a comprehensive solution. Moreover, I lack certainty, a comprehensive solution exists. But, I am without doubt, as a non-felon adult, with neither current connection to local schools nor current connection to children of K-12, there is absolutely, neither reason nor right to modify my rights. In my generation, high school students kept shotguns in racks, in the back window of their trucks parked at school during duck or dove season without incident. When a Californian became Mayor of my hometown (with serious outside donors) one of her first objectives was the destruction of the indoor gun range in the high school I attended, including destruction of the half dozen or more Winchester 52's, Again in the 50+ years of operation, neither the range nor the rifles (stored on site) contributed to any school shooting. So, it's coincidence, that my  "latch key" friends and I, with access to loaded firearms and unsupervised for three or more hours every day, didn't get shot? This seems to be younger generation problem, fuck'em.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

'eligible' means not anyone here can own a gun and they are rightly hard to get and own legally. Unlike the States.

'some freedoms' can't say ours and your 'freedom' are exactly the same. But both trace their roots back to Great Britain. Your Declaration of Independence and Constitution have some stuff in it to separate you from British rule while we remained longer in the nest and left amicably. Americans going 'on and on' about their freedom is ironic as I see them every year having less and less.   

• Thanks 1

Its not my shit that sinks (X) + its your shit that stinks (Y) X ∞ BS rhetoric blah blah blah, etc, etc= fucking sheople. 

For the socio-mathematically unpaired, Destruction of Critical Thinking. 

Edited by paradime
5 hours ago, frankendat said:

Please elaborate

If you knew anything about debate, you'd know exactly what I mean. You played your entire rhetorical hand out front, and with 15 minutes of research a high school student could pull you apart. 100% pure anecdotal subjective BS and ZERO objective data. 

Please take this in the spirit of cooperation that is meant. When people use terms like "The anti gun, anti free speech, anti liberty crowd are zealots..." it automatically puts anyone with a differing opinion on the defensive. I'm sure you've heard similar stereotyping directed at you, too. It shuts down the possibility for an open exchange.

I've had good talks with people who have wildly differing opinions, and the key has always been to find common goals and to express how any change I desire isn't an attack on anyone. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

rhetoric

noun

language designed to have a persuasive or impressive effect on its audience, but often regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content.

"all we have from the Opposition is empty rhetoric"

Similar: 

stylize, bombast, colorful, hyperbole, hot air, pompousness   

data

noun

facts and statistics collected together for reference or analysis.

"there is very strong data available"

Similar: 

facts, figures, statistics, details, particulars, specifics

anecdotal

adjective

(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.

"while there was much anecdotal evidence there was little hard fact"

Similar: informal, unreliable, based on hearsay, unscientific

Subjective

adjective

based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.

"his views are highly subjective"

Similar: personal, personalized, internal, emotional, instinctive

Edited by paradime
41 minutes ago, gh0stwerx76 said:

We are all mostly adult here

Come on now, condescension is a form of passive aggressive hostility.

Heated debate over differing opinions may start off as hostile, but allowed to run it's course to get past hostility, intelligent meaningful debate can yield far greater understanding than avoidant play nice nice to keep the illusion of peace. 

• Like 1

The more i see and read about the circumstances leading up to this tragedy it seems to be the same pattern as a lot of others with the same horrific ending.Fucked up kid with no role model,picked on in school and basically no future.Kids sure aren't what they were before the internet and social media.I think shutting down the internet would be a better solution than gun control ever could be.But we know that isn't going to happen.Eventually the left will solve this problem with more gun control and counseling for teens,LOL.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, a.d._510_n_ok said:

0af9c807dceaebbb.jpg

Reminder that the Police are NOT your friend. They are the enforcement arm of the state and should be treated like any other gang members.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1