Crazy idea...but is it possible?

Hey I've been running this idea in my head for a while now. Smog pumps pump are into the intake and exhaust manifolds. I know on my smog pump pulley is about the same size as the crank pulley. If I were to make a pulley 1/8th the size of the stock smog pulley it would act as a kind of makeshift supercharger right? Not as powerful but still more air into the engine?

I've tried looking it up but I've only seen it done with bikes. Just am idea.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't pump anything into the intake.  Just exhaust.  So all you'd do is introduce more backpressure.  What's going to the intake is the EGR, which is totally separate.  The air pump hoses going to the air cleaner are part of the anti-backfire system.  It doesn't pressurize the air cleaner.

Even if you were to plumb it into the intake (and it'd have to be BEFORE the carb), it's not big enough to overcome vacuum, and would likely use more power than it creates.

• Like 1

Another problem.  Lets say, the stock smog pump turns the same RPM as the engine.   If you make the pulley smaller on the smog pump, it will turn faster.  A pulley 1/8 the size of stock, will turn the pump 8 times faster.   At 5,000 engine RPM, the smog pump will be turning 40,000 RPM.   But I believe the smog pump will have destroyed itself long before it hits 40,000 RPM.

• Like 3

I figured it wouldn't survive for long but I don't mean just changing the pulley and being done I mean a lot of heavy modifications to bearings and balanceing of the blades. I'm not saying I want to do it I'm just wondering if it would work. Let's say 1/2 the size of the pulley. That would make it 10,000 rpm. If you could get some oil bearing that would alow it to run at a higher rpm for longer.

A SC won't add a 100HP if the ratio is set right on the pully.

You already said speed up the smog pump to generate enough PSI for a few HP..... So why not slow down or bleed off a SC?

Still a smarter idea to get a part that is meant to create boost instead of modding a smog pump that isn't meant for that.

• Like 1