POST CARS YOU CANT STAND

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I21laAk.jpg

The Vage-mobile. Probably the real reason for failure. Who would want to be seen in one? They blamed poor mileage but it had a somewhat performance engine right when there was a recession happening. 

18 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I21laAk.jpg

The Vage-mobile. Probably the real reason for failure. Who would want to be seen in one? They blamed poor mileage but it had a somewhat performance engine right when there was a recession happening. 

That car is just hideous. The grille! Bleck!

giphy.gif

004.jpg

My Brother had a '58 VW panel van with the original engine in it.  I think it was about 35 horsepower.  It had a max speed of around 45-50mph and he always tried to get home before dark because turning the lights on (and kicking in the generator) slowed it down to a top speed of about 40.  It was so loud inside, you could barely talk to the passenger next to you.  It was geared SO low, you would be shifting into third as it finally got through an intersection from a stoplight.

It didn't handle at all, it didn't stop for shit, and it was miserable to ride in for any more than the fewest of minutes.

I know they are worth big bucks now, and a lot of those problems can be remedied, but DAMN, they are a rolling box of crap in original form...

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Duncan said:

And I really don't hate VW's, but I remember when these things were everywhere.  I'm really glad they've mostly disappeared..

VWRolls1.jpg?zoom=2&resize=600,371&ssl=1

What in the what?! I've never seen one of those. That looks ridiculous.

3 hours ago, colourbox said:

Totally agree.  The late 60's thru early 70's those conversion VW's were everywhere.  Some of them weren't all that bad, but I always thought the Rolls Royce was the worse one.  They even has a hood (in the rear) that had a psuedo Continental kit.  Heinous...

On 6/27/2019 at 10:38 AM, colourbox said:

that my friend is a Rollswagon 

amazing you never saw one they were all over in the 80's

and yes I agree they were ugly

• Like 1
On 6/27/2019 at 1:39 PM, Chopper Jim said:

There were kits that looked like Rolls Royce, 40 Ford, Pick up flat beds, and we had a customer with a panel van.

Chopper Jim

And an 810 Cord !  Didn't look too bad but the 15 inch  tires looked out of place.  Changing to 13 inch tires and wheels and a Datsun 1500 roadster or RL411 wheel cover set would have completed the Cord look.

• Like 1