Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Idiots! - What if a huge chunk broke loose? It would have

been smarter to take video from down the beach.

This is just like when the announce a Tsunami warning,and

some people have to go down to the beach to watch it.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, angliagt said:

FREE COFFEE! - Wed. 1/25

I got an email from my Wife saying that CIRCLE K is giving away

free coffee.

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, datzenmike said:

It's not rock is it? More like loosely compressed and fractured rubble and clay? Shatters when rolling down. The tide comes all the way into toe of the slope? This is similar to the Pacifica? erosion???

I think it is some kind of decayed sandstone maybe? Been a lot of rain that way so the ground is saturated, which both increases the weight and makes landslides easier. I feel like you used to hear about landslides/mudslides a lot in California in the early 80s which they took some steps to fix.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I doubt they are allowed to build on that. But you never know. (California and $$$)

There are a few area's like Santa Cruz and Pacifica that have houses on cliffs, because they were not on the cliff when it was built. In Santa Cruz there are portions of east cliff drive missing.

https://goo.gl/maps/FTW1bxRhvCwJ9KR7A

Edited by Ooph!
  • Like 1

Started a new job a few months back. A man who clearly has an alcohol abuse problem emits the odor of alcohol pretty frequently but especially after a session in the sandblasting booth. Fuck it. I'll just ignore it. I ain't about breaking nobody's rice bowl.. He's got 17 years out here and probably facing an unwanted early retirement if I believe the shop gossip. I eat lunch with him and three other guys in a small break room every day. I bring a lot of canned oysters, sardines, kipper etc for lunch because I like 'em, they don't trigger a post-meal calorie coma in me + they tote easy. Some folks don't like the smell of these things so I always ask if anyone minds me eating them. No one ever has. Had kippers yesterday. Drunk got up and walked away without saying a word. Didn't think nothing of it. After lunch the lead man hunts me down with a constipated look on his face. Says he got a complaint from someone about my food and would I mind eating somewhere else when I bring canned seafood. Sure. Fuck it. Drunk is gone before end of shift but as I'm clocking out I tell the three other guys I won't be eating with them anymore and tell them why. "ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS RIGHT NOW!?! You know that's an unreasonable request, right!?!". Sure. Aint up for fighting silliness at 53. Next day the drunk can't look me in the eye but is running up to random people, ripping loud facts and laughing as they retch.  My form federal boss (still a fed boss on Sill btw) was livid as was my sister who had worked for the post office since 1999. Wants me to hit HR up. No, I ain't doing that. Ignore booze on a man's breath and he reports my stinky fish....I just.....these are oilfield roughnecks btw!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, a.d._510_n_ok said:

Started a new job a few months back. A man who clearly has an alcohol abuse problem emits the odor of alcohol pretty frequently but especially after a session in the sandblasting booth. Fuck it. I'll just ignore it. I ain't about breaking nobody's rice bowl.. He's got 17 years out here and probably facing an unwanted early retirement if I believe the shop gossip. I eat lunch with him and three other guys in a small break room every day. I bring a lot of canned oysters, sardines, kipper etc for lunch because I like 'em, they don't trigger a post-meal calorie coma in me + they tote easy. Some folks don't like the smell of these things so I always ask if anyone minds me eating them. No one ever has. Had kippers yesterday. Drunk got up and walked away without saying a word. Didn't think nothing of it. After lunch the lead man hunts me down with a constipated look on his face. Says he got a complaint from someone about my food and would I mind eating somewhere else when I bring canned seafood. Sure. Fuck it. Drunk is gone before end of shift but as I'm clocking out I tell the three other guys I won't be eating with them anymore and tell them why. "ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS RIGHT NOW!?! You know that's an unreasonable request, right!?!". Sure. Aint up for fighting silliness at 53. Next day the drunk can't look me in the eye but is running up to random people, ripping loud facts and laughing as they retch.  My form federal boss (still a fed boss on Sill btw) was livid as was my sister who had worked for the post office since 1999. Wants me to hit HR up. No, I ain't doing that. Ignore booze on a man's breath and he reports my stinky fish....I just.....these are oilfield roughnecks btw!

I swear, moving to the midwest was like going back in time 30 years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well I am down in the Fl Keys poking around on my sailboat. This is the "other" border. The Cubans and Haitians have been flooding in on their "Chugs" home made boats made to make one trip. Some are actually pretty clever bolting a u joint to a flywheel to run a shaft and put a plumbing elbow behind the prop to provide cooling water. This used a twin v aircooled engine and I am guessing the other engine is a pump. Must be pretty desperate to load up in one of these to go 90 miles across the gulfstream. Since I am in Jimmy Buffet territory of course he has a song about it.

20230205_132328.jpg

• Sad 1
On 1/25/2023 at 9:13 AM, Ooph! said:

A different view of the cliff falling, sounds like Spicoli narrating

I used to surf fish there years ago with the kids.My first rule was you don't hang out near the cliff.We're fishing and set up safely near the waterline when this young couple walks down and sets their beach chairs and towels on a big rock right at the base of the cliff.They walk towards the water and are just hanging out.A minute later I hear this huge thud and turn around.The cliff fell right on that rock where those two set up their stuff.They would have been dead if they stayed there for another minute.Talk about luck.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, john510 said:

I used to surf fish there years ago with the kids.My first rule was you don't hang out near the cliff.We're fishing and set up safely near the waterline when this young couple walks down and sets their beach chairs and towels on a big rock right at the base of the cliff.They walk towards the water and are just hanging out.A minute later I hear this huge thud and turn around.The cliff fell right on that rock where those two set up their stuff.They would have been dead if they stayed there for another minute.Talk about luck.

Address of said cliff?  Asking for a friend...

• Haha 1

That's just like some people on the Outer Banks,in North Carolina.

They warn you not to park your vehicles below the high tide mark.We 

watched someone franticly trying to move their Suburban as the tide

was coming in.

They barely  got it out in time.Cheap entertainment.

• Like 1