'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

if you would be so kind as to measure the width of that rear spoiler both where it kicks up at the ends of the trunk lid and the overall width it would be much appreciated. My 210 needs something similar and I have never seen a 1200 in person to compare the scale of the 2 cars.

I'll gladly measure it, but I can already tell you it is about 3-4" too narrow. And your car being a sedan, the angle would likely be all wrong too.   :crying:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we decided center exit was the only way, so off we went...

Fitted up the ANSA muffler tip and measured to see how much off center the pipe was. Tape measure said it needed to take a jog to the left of 6". As it turns out, the u-bends I bought were exactly 6" side-to-side. So we cut it in the middle, flipped one pipe over and welded it back together...

20150911_092705.jpg

I put that in the car, tacked it to the first s-pipe, then tacked on the tip, then popped it all out for Tim to finish weld for me...

20150911_105213.jpg

After that, I scrubbed it down and treated it to a coat of high temp black...

20150911_113133.jpg

Got it fit back into the car to check fit and tolerances. Appears to go around everything like it's supposed to...

20150911_114733.jpg

Beaver panel gap is quite good, and it appears to be perfectly centered under the plate holder...

20150911_114841.jpg

Clearance around the axle flange is tight, but decent. I will probably switch these stubs out for 610 drive axles to get me another inch of clearance...

20150911_114801.jpg

Very happy with how it came out since this is my first ever exhaust system...    :thumbup:

20150911_114820.jpg

View from above...

20150911_114701.jpg

Still need to make a rear hanger, but otherwise it is done.   :thumbup:

• Like 11

20150911_114701.jpg

I didn't want to say anything until I had a chance to grok it in person again, but I was right in my assumption that this picture is wrong!  In person, the pipes are NOT as crooked as they appear here in this photo.  Methinks there might be something wonky in thine camera... or something.

• Like 1

I didn't want to say anything until I had a chance to grok it in person again, but I was right in my assumption that this picture is wrong!  In person, the pipes are NOT as crooked as they appear here in this photo.  Methinks there might be something wonky in thine camera... or something.

It happens when you're not shooting "straight down the barrel" for a photo this close up. The curse of using a phone to take photos...

• Like 1

Well, how much longer til it's ready to be driven again? 

My birthday is December 21st and that's the goal.    :thumbup:

It's honestly a pretty short list at this point... 

Rear stainless brake lines (should be done in two weeks)

Install handbrake

Bleed brakes

Swap clutch master (it's leaking) and rebleed clutch

Install gauges (not as easy as I make it sound)

Replace ball joint boots

Wire up fuel pump 

Install battery box and positive cable

Install drive axles and driveshaft

• Like 2

It's about to get a little more baller up in here...   B)

20150920_075845.jpg

Been looking at this wheel on the Mooneyes website and threatening to buy it for awhile now. Keep hesitating because I'd never seen one in person, and the size seemed a little too small...

Walked past their booth at JCCS and there it was. And the size feels perfect. So...   :thumbup:

• Like 2

So Herb Tarlek, you gonna buy a white belt and matching loafers to go with that?

So Herb Tarlek, you gonna buy a white belt and matching loafers to go with that?

Wow, I haven't heard Herb's name mentioned in 20 years. But I think that the steering wheel would work on the car if clean driving gloves were used at all times.

Maybe...

I think that the steering wheel would work on the car if clean driving gloves were used at all times.

It's actually a very hard, smooth surface. It is not susceptible to getting dirty at all.

But I will make sure I wash my hands before I drive it.   :rofl:

• Like 1

So the wheel comes with a "horn button", but no way to attach it...   :rofl:

Typically you would get a Grant hub kit and it would have what you need. Since I'm keeping my quick release, I dug through the stash to find the one piece of the hub kit I actually need...

20150926_091557.jpg

Took my old wheel off and went to fit the new wheel onto the quick release, then found out it would not exactly bolt right on... 

20150926_091745.jpg

My hub uses larger 5/16" bolts, not wimpy 1/4" bolts like the Grant hub, so I drilled them out one size bigger and we are good to go...

20150926_091913.jpg

Popped over to the hardware store for some new bolts, bolted it all together and popped it on...   :thumbup:

20150926_095733.jpg

You may also notice I reclocked the hub release so that the release pin now points straight up. I think it'll be better for this wheel that way.

Well, less fingerprints on it anyway...   ^_^

• Like 5