'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh sometime this year.

I'm looking forward to NOT seeing it in the flesh... as in seeing the empty spot in the shop when he has the car out for a hoon!

• Like 1

Spoke with my guy at the driveshaft shop and he told me something interesting. Known him for 20+ years so he's always very honest with me. I told him what I wanted him to do and he told me that on these two piece driveshafts, the rear half is normally balanced independently of the front by the factory. So if the weights are still on and it's not dented or twisted than the balance should be just fine as is.

So rather than spend $80 on new joints and a rebalance, he told me to man up and spend $25 on some new joints and install them myself...   ^_^

The stock joints are held in with 3/4 round spring clips. Got all those popped out and  commenced disassembly. Two of the joints came out with just a few hammer blows. One had to be forced out by the press...

Front yoke joint in...

20160213_093044.jpg

Rear yoke joint in...

20160213_100015.jpg

Both yokes on the tube, rubbed it down with some scotch-brite, and gave it a lick of paint...

20160213_111338.jpg

Popped it in the car and it fits perfectly!  :thumbup:

Pro-tip: Don't paint the input shaft. Makes it a bitch to slide it into a transmission with a new output seal.   :rofl:

Side note: When I built my exhaust I was trying to tuck it up into the tunnel as far as I could without interfering with the driveshaft, which I sort of had to guess at where it was going to be. Thankfully, there's about a fingers width between the driveshaft and the exhaust pipe. And while they both almost occupy the same space as each other, either can be removed without removal of the other.   :thumbup:

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I've had the gauges and dash at home now for about a year thinking I could work on it in my spare time. Yeah, that never happened...   :rofl:

I loaded it all up and took it to the shop today wanting to get cracking on it. Turns out I have a huge issue. The 5" speedo and tach I bought for this project are just not going to work. They are way too big to fit into the Sunny gauge cluster. So I'm going to start looking at other options... 

A lot of 510 guys I know use Speedhut gauges so I'm going to try those. They make a 4" speedo, tach, and combo gauge, so those (while spendy) should be just about perfect for the Sunny gauge panel...

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

• Like 4

If only there was a measuring device for circles :rofl:

No shit, right?  :rofl:

Truth be told the previous owner had 5" Autometer gauges in it, but when I saw what an ill-fitting hack job that was, I just couldn't do it to my nice pretty gauge surround. 

After some online searching, I decided to bite the bullet on these. Not cheap, but phenomenal reviews, and some neat customizing options...

Untitled.png

In the daytime they have blue faces and white lettering and needles, but at night the faces look black with blue needles and lettering. Tach has a built in shift light, fuel gauge is programmable for any sender, etc. Tons of cool tech in these things, just a bit spendy for a Datsun guy...    :rofl:

• Like 6

Been there, done that quite a few times myself.  (On lots of other things besides battery boxes)

Looks good and secure now :thumbup:

And realized I forget to install the strap before I bolted it down...   :rofl:

So, after much cursing...

• Like 2

I've been running a Speedhut gps speedo for a while and am very happy with it. So much so that I recently ordered a tach, oil pressure, oil temp and gas gauge from them. I don't think you will regret the investment.

I just wish they were a little faster. They say 2-3 weeks, and it's been 3 weeks already. And my order still says "in art dept."...   :blush:

But if it's as good a quality product as I hear, I guess it'll be worth it. But this is just about the only thing left to do before I can drive it, so I'm definitely impatient...    :rofl:

• Like 2

I have a Bluebird Coupe gauge panel that I bought for the wagon.  I modified it to accept aftermarket gauges, but the cost is holding me back for a bit.  Populating that thing is quite a chunk of change :crying:

The GPS speedometer is really great.  You can change anything in the driveline and they are very accurate.

• Like 1

I have a Bluebird Coupe gauge panel that I bought for the wagon.  I modified it to accept aftermarket gauges, but the cost is holding me back for a bit.  Populating that thing is quite a chunk of change :crying:

Maybe AutoMeter then? Would be a good bit cheaper that way...    ^_^

GPS speedometer is really great.  You can change anything in the driveline and they are very accurate.

Yeah, I want to play around with tire sizes and rear end ratios a bit down the road, so it'll be great for that.  :thumbup:

I really like the Speedhut stuff.  Fortunately, the stock ones will do me for now.  Maybe down the road :thumbup:

Maybe AutoMeter then? Would be a good bit cheaper that way...    ^_^

• Like 1