'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chucked it up there for a test fit, and as I suspected, it fouls the flares... 

20160618_090221.jpg

I took the bottom screw out of the flares and slipped in between them and the fender. Now she fits like a glove...

20160618_090657.jpg

Flares do overlap a good bit...

20160618_090705.jpg

Drilled some holes, installed some rivnuts, and we're on the way...

20160618_111448.jpg

Took a sharpie and traced out the overlap of the flares...

20160618_114618.jpg

Gonna trim the spoiler slowly, a little at a time, and hope I can make it fit up flush to the flares so it sorts of blends into them...  :thumbup:

• Like 4

I'm in Australia visiting, you need anything for this build? ......while i am on the other side of the planet

I don't think so, but who knows...   :rofl:

Glove box liner would be awesome though! The "cardboard box" that is the inside of the glove box? 

Oh! and I would KILL for some front bumper brackets. This spoiler expedition has taught me that I hate this '73 bucktooth bumper mounting...  :rofl:

• Like 1

I would KILL for some front bumper brackets. This spoiler expedition has taught me that I hate this '73 bucktooth bumper mounting...  :rofl:

Kill for them, eh?  Hmm...  No, my enemies must know my wrath personally.  Anyhoo, y'know, we HAVE built bumper brackets ourselves before.  I think we could do it again and get the bumper Ed Zachary where you want it... if y'ont to.

Anyhoo, y'know, we HAVE built bumper brackets ourselves before.  I think we could do it again and get the bumper Ed Zachary where you want it...

Yeah, but "build them" takes 2-3 days. Installing stock ones takes 20-30 minutes.   :rofl:

But you make a good point...

• Like 2

Why did they change them for 73???

DOT legislation said that starting in '73 the bumpers needed to be a little thicker (they are) and the brackets need to be beefier (they are) and they needed to be spaced out away from the body farther (it's at least 3" farther out). I've been looking today at how the bumpers mount and I'm not 100% sure you can just swap to the early brackets. I think I might need an early bumper as well. At least if I want it to be a "bolt on" affair. Looks like the way the bumper bolts up to the brackets is very different...

So it may be time for some chopped and screwed stock brackets to get the much-needed tuck I am craving...   B)

BProjects sells the early brackets for $100 new. If I could find a used pair considerably cheaper, I'd at least give that a shot.  ^_^

• Like 1

So this is the reason my aftermarket bumper doesn't fit my coupe...it must be for a 73

If you don't mind the poke, some '73 brackets might solve the problem? I don't even know if they attach to the car the same way, though...

I know on the '73 510 (which suffered a similar fate), they changed the bracket from using two bolts to mount to the frame to using 3 bolts. 

Figured out the problem. Notice bumper mounting bolts, 4 down low, 2 per side, about 8" apart. 

20160618_111448.jpg

Now notice early bumper. 2 per side but they are vertical and right on top of each other...

1971_Datsun_1200_(12608691264).jpg

So... Unless I want to drill more holes in the bumper, I can't use this bumper with the early brackets. So now to modify my brackets... 

• Like 3

If you don't mind the poke, some '73 brackets might solve the problem? I don't even know if they attach to the car the same way, though...

I know on the '73 510 (which suffered a similar fate), they changed the bracket from using two bolts to mount to the frame to using 3 bolts.

Already got some coming in the mail. I had spare early brackets but they didn't fit, now i know why.

DF, I thought I might have another "glove box" but just looked and can only find 1.  I am slowly getting stuff out of my storage shed, will keep an eye out and PM you If I find another.  I could swear I had 3 of em.

I know we discussed this in person yesterday but I thought I'd throw it out for the rest of the community... will an LHD glove box liner work in an RHD dash?  I always just threw them away without grokking them because they were usually so decroded that they were unrecognizable.

Title change. This wasn't intended originally as a build thread, just morphed into one...  :rofl:

Hopefully some progress tomorrow...

I didn't realize yours was a 1973. I have a mint 73 front bumper for trade if you have a 71 one?

• Like 1

So, decided to see what it would take to tuck that front bumper...

Note on the '73 the unsightly gap between the body and bumper, and the fugly brackets...

20160716_115106.jpg

Bumper off for a look see...

20160716_115116.jpg

I have an idea. It's crazy, but I think it'll work. First, make a pattern...

20160716_121954.jpg

Second, take the brackets off, then get out the torch, then heat up the brackets a bit...

20160716_124105.jpg

Third, bend the front arms all the way out straight...

20160716_125026.jpg

Fourth, drill some new holes...

20160716_131625.jpg

Fifth, bolt them back onto the car and BOOM!

20160716_132703.jpg

That's just a test fit, but the gap is TIGHT...

20160716_135106.jpg

Gonna pull them back off, lengthen the slotted holes where the brackets attach to the frame so I can slide it out just about a 1/4" on the left and maybe 1/2" on the right. I like the hellaflush supertuck look, but I am a little concerned about the bumper rubbing the paint on the valence on the right side. It is SUPER close on that side...

• Like 10

This!  This!  So much THIS!  John and I have gone back and forth over "bumpers" versus "awesome-looking"... oops, I mean "no bumpers" in the past.  This is a compromise I can get behind.