'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if we ought to "laminate" it somehow so individual decals don't start to peel.  I'm not sure HOW we would go about that though.

Trust me, these do not peel. Especially on a glossy surface. And if they do, I have another 60+ of them...  ^_^

FWIW, the one on the windshield of my daily was put on at least two years ago, and still looks like I put it on yesterday. This is the ver.2 decal. The ver.1 stuck like glue, as does this one. The ver.3 decals shrank and peeled badly, but we got it fixed with ver.4 and ver.5. 

I never was super satisfied with how much rubber the car had, but I couldn't find wheels I liked in an 8" width that weren't some uber-rare vintage unobtanium that cost a meelion dollars. With the current wheels being a 14x7, I had made some measurements when the car was on the ground to see just how wide a wheel I can fit. In the rear we had zero room to the outside, and just over 3" of space on the inside (that means a max of around 9.5"). Up front, maybe 1/4" outside and about 2" inside (that means around a 9" max). So if we want to go wider, we have to go in

The current wheels are a 14x7 -50, and Bassett just recently started offering them in an 8" width (right after I bought the 7s of course), in 3 different offsets. A few weeks ago I talked to the guys at Bassett and ordered up a set of 14x8s in a -25, so we basically just added an inch to the inside of the wheel. From the outside it will look the same, but we can put a wider tire on it now. With the 165/55-14 being a little on the short side, we can now step up to a 185/55-14. That'll get us some much needed width, and a tiny bit of added height. So now the flares should look a little more stuffed without having to lower it even more than it already is.  :thumbup:

And 4 boxes showed up today from Wisconsin.   ^_^

normal_20161025_200956.jpg

I like this.   B)

20161025_201025.jpg

• Like 5

Now trying to decide between spending too much on some fancy Yokohama S-drives...

s-l500.jpg

Or go a little more "budget" and get another set of Federal SS-595s...

s-l500.jpg

Yokohamas are around $380 a set, Federals around $280 a set. I'm not going to be nice to them, so cheaper does sound better, but Yokes are pretty sexy, so...    :P

• Like 1

Come on please put some stickies on it!  Toyo and Dunlop (maybe others) make sticky 185/60r14's but I guess that's probably too tall for what you want, and more $.  Also my math shows a 14x8 -25 being about 12mm in from the fender compared to a 14x7 -50...? Might need a spacer to get the track back out...

• Like 1

Although not the same, I have Federal AT tires on my Pathfinder and love them. Quiet, good ride, value, and they've worn great. Have about 20,000 miles on them and over half their life left.

Federal would get my vote but I don't think you would go wrong with either one.

• Like 1

Toyo and Dunlop (maybe others) make sticky 185/60r14's but I guess that's probably too tall for what you want

A 185/60-14 is waaaay too tall. The 185/55 is already pushing it. I'll have to "massage" the footwells a bit for clearance as well as tweak the T/C rod spacing to get the wheel in exactly the right spot to keep it from rubbing/breaking the flares. Hindsight being what it is, I should have trimmed the front edge of the flares before painting them. 

Also my math shows a 14x8 -25 being about 12mm in from the fender compared to a 14x7 -50...? Might need a spacer to get the track back out...

I was off on my numbers. Sorry.  ^_^

Current wheels 14x7 -25 (3" backspace), new wheels are 14x8 -13 (4" backspace). You can tell by the backspace number that it's just adding an inch to the back. Also measured the depth of the face and it's identical.   :thumbup:

But, I do have 2.5" ARP studs and can stack up heaps of spacers if need be.   ;)

Whatcha doing with your old wheels?  ;)

They'll probably be up for sale. I have 6 of them. Four 14x7s in a -25, and two 14x7s in a -51. Bought those -51s thinking I could make them fit the rear but it was not happening without a lot more negative camber...

• Like 2

I thought the 185/60 would be too tall ;)  Was going to suggest you're stuck with Hoosier but they don't even seem to make a short 14".   :confused:

Oh well, I am nevertheless looking forward to seeing the new shoes on it. :D

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually got some real work done today...   :thumbup:

Tim trying to make sense of the notes he wrote to himself a year ago...   ^_^

14956513_10154184541502983_7811864459258

While he tackled the wiring for the switches, I got into the gauge wiring. Hard to tell from this pic, but everything is now wired up for the gauges...   B)

14938221_10154184541582983_2878168470643

You can sort of see here I actually did zip tie up all that wiring seen before into a nice neat bundle, and also installed the radio "sleeve"...

14962636_10154184541577983_6681838179510

And finished up the wiring for the radio, hooked up the speakers, and ran two extra pairs of speaker wires (seen below glove box) in case I want to add two more later...

14925755_10154184541757983_2567764212625

And yes, I used some cheap butt connectors on the extra (rear) speaker wires. I'll probably never hook them up anyway...   :rofl:

Should be able to button it all up for good next time. Now we just need to hook up the two flashers, the brake light switch, the dome light wiring, and figure out some lights/sockets for the turn signal lights in the dash...   :thumbup:

Then the last steps for the wiring will be to run the Speedhut harness to the rear of the car for the fuel tank sender, and install a relay at the back for the fuel pump. Then she'll actually be ready to fire up.   :frantics:

• Like 8

Get something even stickier!   After spending a year autoXing I will never run the below tires.  My treadwear 200 Star Spec 2's lasted a year on my 510 and that was about 3 hours of pure track time and daily driving them.  I do live close to work.  Now I'm running Toyo R888 and love them even more!  

Now trying to decide between spending too much on some fancy Yokohama S-drives...

s-l500.jpg

Or go a little more "budget" and get another set of Federal SS-595s...

s-l500.jpg

Yokohamas are around $380 a set, Federals around $280 a set. I'm not going to be nice to them, so cheaper does sound better, but Yokes are pretty sexy, so...    :P

• Like 2

These are pretty much the only tires available in this size...   :crying:

205 55 14's in the R888!  you should switch to 13's and run the 225 45 13's  I dream of those tires on my 510! 

205 55 14's in the R888!  

Cool tires, but way too big. Probably perfect for a 510, but not a 1200.

you should switch to 13's and run the 225 45 13's  I dream of those tires on my 510! 

This is an interesting option. But since they are even shorter in height than my current 165/55-14s, it wouldn't look "right" to me. 

But you bring up an interesting idea. If I had a set of dedicated autocross/track day wheels/tires, I could get some 13x8s with some sticky 225/45-13s on them and have some fun...

• Like 2

Should be able to button it all up for good next time. Now we just need to hook up the two flashers, the brake light switch, the dome light wiring, and figure out some lights/sockets for the turn signal lights in the dash...   

Got the flashers wired up, and finished the stereo wiring. Dome light is probably going to wait until everything is done and tested. Need to try and fire up the dome light separate from the harness so as not to burn the car down. Brake lights switch wiring needs to be lengthened or we risk it unplugging itself. Couldn't find any lights I like for the turn signal indicators, so going to start googling around for some now. Stay tuned...

Side note, for anyone who might be wanting Speedhut gauges: There are two different wires you need to connect for the dash lights. I did not know this and Tim goes "Hey, what's this wire do?". So had to google that and find out what the deal was. Apparently there's a power wire for the gauge face itself (which goes through a rheostat dimmer), and a separate wire to light up the needles (since they do NOT dim).

Another thought on the tire front...

Found these Yokohamas in a 185/50-14 while digging around:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311535883616?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l500.jpg

Better overall height than the 185/55-14, actually almost identical to what I am running now (165/55-14). So I'd gain an inch of tread width with no penalty in height increase. 

They are a bit spendy (still cheaper than the M/Ts), but the reviews are good...

• Like 1