'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

I wish I could just add 1200 parts to my next order.

Muscle Car Parts Australia (MCPA) buys from many sources. The reproduction 510 steel parts we both sell come from the same manufacturer. I do not know who MCPA buys their 1200 parts from, but it is not the same source as our 510 parts and based on the pricing, they are likely not the same quality level as the 510 stuff we sell.

Many of the less expensive sheet metal parts have quality/fit problems (not that any sheet metal panel will be 100% perfect, even ours). The QC issues stem from using tooling that is in poor condition. Often these lower priced panels use old factory stamping dies. The used dies typically have been pulled from production because they no longer meet OE factory standards and these lower priced panel manufacturers place them back into service.

All of the reproduction parts FutoFab sells are made from brand new tooling. Our manufacturer takes an OE panel or deconstructs a car at the factory seams and generates photometric dimensions from the panels. From these scans they create new manufacturing tooling. Our supplier has been building reproduction US muscle car parts this way since 1985, so it isn't a new process for them.

Now just get them to do 1200 coupes too! I wish some one would reproduce the vent window rubber, I need new real bad!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back up on the stands to finish up underneath...

20150907_105512.jpg

Got cracking on the exhaust today. Found a V-band clamp that the inner collar will just fit through the hole in the crossmember. Had to file on the edges of the hole a bit since whatever factory worker welded this together got his bead a little sloppy...

20150907_114940.jpg

Got the v-band inner collar welded onto the mid-pipe and installed it along with the clamp and outer collar...

20150907_134403.jpg

Trying to figure out the best way to route the pipe, so I chucked in an axle for a test fit. Oddly, even though this is lower than any 510 I've owned, the driveshaft angle is way better. Mounting the diff and crossmember higher up in the car than a 510 turned out to be a very good thing...   :thumbup:

20150907_134955.jpg

Mounted up the muffler where I wanted it to see how to route the pipe...

20150907_140347_0_.jpg

As I suspected, it would be a perfectly straight shot. If there wasn't an axle in the way...   :rofl:

Looks like I can either go under it (typical 510 install), or go over it (never managed that on a 510). Both have their downsides. Under means poor ground clearance, over means it's a very tight squeeze to get it in there without hitting anything...

• Like 2

So naturally, go over it.

After some fiddling, we concur that over will be the best plan. 

Got some 2" u-bends...

20150908_111720.jpg

Cut one in half to make the s-curve over the axle...

20150908_143908.jpg

After looking at routing over the axle, I'm not sure we can make the tight bends needed to get the pipe into the muffler easily. So with that in mind, and with the muffler falling off and cutting my head open, I decided to take it off and throw it across the room. 

Starting ruminating on other options. When Tim's 1200 was going to be lowered (not lifted) we got a Monza muffler/tip for it. So decided to give that a try...

Straight shot from the pipe...

20150908_172136.jpg

And a slightly more stylish option which would mean redirecting the pipe...

20150908_172512.jpg

Thoughts?

If the Monza proves to be too obnoxious, I think I have enough room to add a glasspack muffler in the center of the car after it's roadworthy, so...

• Like 2

Oh, and if you ever decide to build a slammed 1200, good luck finding a fucking muffler that fits under it...    :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :sneaky:

My Sedan has a blown out, 40 year old Cherry Bomb glass pack, and it sounds way more awesome than it should!

Can you go out the side of the car down there in TX? 

You can, it's just not my jam, aesthetically speaking. 

centered is more symmetrical, i like that option

I believe that is the consensus here as well. 

My Sedan has a blown out, 40 year old Cherry Bomb glass pack, and it sounds way more awesome than it should!

Yeah, few things sound more pissed off than an open-piped A-series...    :rofl:

• Like 1

Got the S-curve pipe cut and tacked into place. Of course, I blew a couple of holes in it running the welder too hot...   :rofl:

So mister "I can weld dirt to air" Tim fixed it up for me and seam welded it at the v-band collar and where the two L pipes meet...

20150910_165142.jpg

Rotated it around to a few different spots and it seems to fit best here. Plenty of axle clearance, and a nice tuck under the mustache bar...

20150910_165155.jpg

If I go for a straight shot from here to the bumper, it comes out here...

20150910_171405.jpg

I have a good straight piece, so the above photo will be my backup plan. Going to take my other U-bend and cut it in half and see if I can make another S-pipe to get it to come out at the center of the car. Stay tuned...

• Like 4

Oh, and if you ever decide to build a slammed 1200, good luck finding a fucking muffler that fits under it...     :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:   :sneaky:

3.5" X  8" Cherrybomb will fit just about anywhere :lol:

imm-87522_w.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/imm-87522cb?seid=srese1&gclid=CL-31_Pd7ccCFZFgfgodOmgKxw

• Like 1

2eDeYe"

imm-87522_w.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/imm-87522cb?seid=srese1&gclid=CL-31_Pd7ccCFZFgfgodOmgKxw

And it sounds really, really cool!! But then again, I was a teenager at the time. What the hell, now I'm old and it still sounds cool.

• Like 1

2.5" inlet/outlet though. Not gonna happen with a 2" exhaust.  ^_^

I've thought about getting a 8-12" glasspack for the back. It's no biggie. Between the ANSA and a 12" or 18" glasspack in the middle, I'll be fine. May see if any of the local shops have a 12" glasspack tomorrow to see if it will fit in the back, but I doubt it...

This is the longest thread in the world, but I dig it. Keep it up.

....Also.... Mr.DatsunFreak, if you would be so kind as to measure the width of that rear spoiler both where it kicks up at the ends of the trunk lid and the overall width it would be much appreciated. My 210 needs something similar and I have never seen a 1200 in person to compare the scale of the 2 cars.