'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So how do you keep the bonnet up when working in the engine bay? Or have you got someone on speed dial? :-D

Bonnet? Isn't that what fronteer women wore on their heads to keep the sun off? :rofl:

• Like 1

Hood props, one of the first things I delete on all cars I own. Good thing only 2 have had them.

You've obviously never owned a 1200.  ^_^

And I always ditch them on my 510s. Those are much easier...   :thumbup:  

Use hood cylinders from other cars to delete the hood prop.

Does the 1200 need this kit?

I don't think there is anywhere to put them? Look at the hinges on your 1200. They disappear into the firewall, so there's not really any room to mount hood shocks on them?

You could cobble together something out at the edges, but I think it'll hard to make it look good...

I'd be glad to be wrong.   ^_^

When the hood is down, there's almost none of the hood hinge that's visible...

20150619_183648s.jpg

Giving it more of a think though, if you made a small tab that was on the side edges of the hood, then drilled a hole in the flat vertical panel of the fender just below the hood line, you could probably put a shock out at the sides.  :thumbup:

And I'm surprised Tim has a hood prop at all. He loves to cut little slits in the firewall so you can stand the hood straight up. I will say his way makes it a lot easier to work on the car...

Seen someone who drilled a hole in one of his hinges just above the hole in the firewall when the hood is fully up, and has a big split pin hanging from a chain bolted to one of the bolts which holds the hood to the hinge. Lift the hood and poke the split pin in the hole and it stays up.

Not sure why you would want to get rid of the ones in the 510's, I want to put one in my B120.

Seen someone who drilled a hole in one of his hinges just above the hole in the firewall when the hood is fully up, and has a big split pin hanging from a chain bolted to one of the bolts which holds the hood to the hinge. Lift the hood and poke the split pin in the hole and it stays up.

I am totally stealing that idea.  Thanks.

Not sure why you would want to get rid of the ones in the 510's, I want to put one in my B120.

1. If you swap in a newer engine (SR20DE, KA24DE, etc) it hits the engine. This seems to be why most do it. 

2. Shocks lift the hood up for you. And designed correctly, lift it up higher than the stock hood prop will allow. This is why I do it.

• Like 2

That is some clever Aussie engineering right there mate.   :thumbup: