'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got bored. Had some fun with a stencil and some spray paint...

20150418_110458.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now that is one of the funniest damn things I've ever seen. Lettering looks pretty cleanly done, which makes it more awesome

• Like 1

Lettering looks pretty cleanly done, which makes it more awesome

It looks decent. A few stray bullets here and there...

20150418_110425.jpg

If it bothers me that much I can fix it up bit with some paint thinner and a rag. Honestly I think the "messiness" sort of lends itself to the vibe. Most race tires done like this are done with a stencil and are a bit messy...

mag%20tire%20banner%20ad.jpg

• Like 3

It looks decent. A few stray bullets here and there...

20150418_110425.jpg

If it bothers me that much I can fix it up bit with some paint thinner and a rag. Honestly I think the "messiness" sort of lends itself to the vibe. Most race tires done like this are done with a stencil and are a bit messy...

mag%20tire%20banner%20ad.jpg

That one lug nut tho... :ninja:

Got bored. Had some fun with a stencil and some spray paint...

20150418_110458.jpg

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Ok, this is going to sound WAY more harsh than it is meant... It looks much better in the picture.  I like it a lot more now, havng seen this.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

BTW - i didn't realize you had a build page here, I thought it was in the 1200 section like mine.

It used to be in the 1200 section. It had like seven page views and two comments, so I asked Datzenmike to move it...   :rofl:

Now I have 57 pages to read.

Last 10-15 are all that really matters...    :rofl:

• Like 1

Love to see a pic of the 1200 outside with that spoiler mounted.

Well, 1 out of 2 ain't bad...    ^_^

20150619_185340s.jpg

20150619_183648s.jpg

Went ahead and painted the other 3 tires with the "BECAUSE RACECAR" stencils...

20150619_184234s.jpg

Needs to be maybe 1/2" lower in the back, though...

20150619_184204s.jpg

Dropped the rear about 3/4" in photoshop...

20150619_184134drop.jpg

Today was a good day.   :cool:

• Like 8

Yep, needs moar lower...The overall look is amazing though.

Best part about pictures from you is trying to spot and call out each project in the background. It's like where's waldo for datsuns (and the odd falcon...) :P

• Like 1

Not going to lie, as soon as you guys picked up the falcon I started looking for one. At the time the only one I could find was $2k and still a project far beyond my abilities. They are sexy little oddities though, I just can't justify another project prior to the move to TN :crying:

Not going to lie, as soon as you guys picked up the falcon I started looking for one. At the time the only one I could find was $2k and still a project far beyond my abilities. They are sexy little oddities though, I just can't justify another project prior to the move to TN :crying:

Easy. Find one for sale in Tennessee.   B)

• Like 2

Hrm... The company is paying for the move, reimbursing me and will provide up to 60 days of housing... Time to shop!

On to more off topic nonsense and thread jacking...

So, I know this is one of the 1200 threads, but my question kinda fits because it's about those aero wheel (or barts, whichever really). Going with 195/45/r15s, what would be a good width and offset that could safely fit under a B210 coupe without flares? Also, same question for going 165/55/r14s with the coupe and a four door?

Lastly, back to your lovely 1200 there, are those some of the NOS mirrors I keep seeing on ebay for $300+? They look tits but I'd hate to end up with some crappy plastic locking mechanism that breaks after one bump. If they aren't, do you have any feedback on those or know where I can find some sturdy bullets or flags for the fenders?

it's about those aero wheel (or barts, whichever really). 

Mine are Bassetts. Quality-wise it goes Bassett (#1), Aero (#2), Bart (a distant third). I wouldn't recommend anyone buy Barts to use on the street. Aeros are the best compromise between strength and quality. Bassetts are the highest quality, but also the thinnest. So while crazy light, they will NOT take a hit. One curb hit or big pothole and that wheel is toast. Bassett does make a non "lightweight" wheel that I imagine is a good bit stronger, but also heavier, akin to the Aeros. 

All of them say "not for street use".   :rofl:

Going with 195/45/r15s, what would be a good width and offset that could safely fit under a B210 coupe without flares? 

With 280ZX struts up front and rolled rear lips, a 15x7 +0. Willing to roll the front lips too, then a 15x8 +0 if you want some stretch. 

Also, same question for going 165/55/r14s with the coupe and a four door?

Honestly, those are a bit too small in diameter for a B210. They are borderline too short for a 1200. Unless it's crazy low.   B)

Again, minor roll on rear lips (just to get rid of the sharp edge), 280ZX struts, 14x7 +0 with a 185/55-14 is what I would suggest. Only go 165 if you want a good stretch, and are planning to go as low as I am. The first combo will allow a 3" drop up front and a 2" drop in the back. Perfect for a B210 IMO. 

14x7 -9, 185/55-14, rolled lips all around, 280ZX struts with a 3" drop up front, 2" drop in the rear:

http://www.510garage.com/photos/albums/userpics/10192/normal_photo2~0.jpg

Same suspension, 15x8 +0 with a 195/50-15, front fenders pulled slightly:

http://www.510garage.com/photos/albums/userpics/10192/normal_datto_stuff_006~0.JPG

That 195/50 looks scary for the local roads... Seems like I'd shred a tire or two riding that close to the fenders.

Thanks again for the great info, that 14x7 picture was exactly what I'm looking for. I have 14x6 Dyna meshies but no idea what the offsets are (or how to accurately measure it). I guess that was why I thought about the 165/55s since 185s might look like balloons :P

Also thanks for the basset/aero/bart advice. I've looked at aero and barts at summit and the barts looked like complete crap, but I'd honestly forgotten about basset. It looks like the prices are just a tad higher than aero, but I think I'll go aero for slightly better piece of mind.

Lastly, back to your lovely 1200 there, are those some of the NOS mirrors I keep seeing on ebay for $300+? 

Yes, purchased from BProjects through ebay. But I bought mine back when they were $225. And I bitched about the price back then too.   :rofl:

If they aren't, do you have any feedback on those or know where I can find some sturdy bullets or flags for the fenders?

I know it's tough, but it's worth it to stick with the OEM mirrors. They are spendy, but are lightyears better in quality than anything aftermarket. 

If you shop around, you may be able to find some other OEM options that are cheaper. Back when I was looking, I'd see OEM B210 mirrors on YJA in the $150-200 range. May be a little more now, but usually cheaper than the mirrors I have. 

B210 mirrors, or Celica mirrors, or Mitsu mirrors, there are lots of cool options out there. Just start searching YJA for mirrors.    :thumbup:

Side note: everyone I know with aftermarket fender mirrors bitches about not being able to see out of them. Don't hear many complaints about the OEM mirrors. 

If all you want is the look, get these. Cheap and somewhat stylish.  ^_^

• Like 1

The mirrors he has look identical to the ones I have on my 1200.  And yes, they are (at least mine) the $300.00 a pair from ebay.  They have a good mounting system with the exception of a couple fender washers I had to use on the inner fender area to get a solid mount.  Vibration is minimal and I actually think they vibrate less than my inside mirrors.  The only drawback is that they are the "objects in mirror car closed than they appear" type.  Got mine from Bprojects through ebay.