'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They send another needle with the thread, but it is the same one. I had no trouble doing mine with the straight needles, but my wheel was the stock thin one which I added a thin layer of foam before lacing on the cover.

Wheel test fit...

20150321_095249.jpg

And to execute my next wacky idea, I removed the heater box. And apparently there's a spot on the side of it that happens to be perfect for the speakers I bought...   :thumbup:

20150321_125142.jpg

Marked off where it needed to go, got out the hole saw, and here we are...

20150321_133213.jpg

Both speakers in. Took the face off to put some nuts on the backs of the screws and ran some wires out the top...

20150321_135218.jpg

Grill back on. Blends in nicely with the box I think...

20150321_154241.jpg

Cleaned the box and got it all back together, ready to go in...

20150321_154215.jpg

Box bolted in the car and you can barely even tell they are in there...   :thumbup:

20150321_160203.jpg

I think the steering wheel looks okay, but it's just too flat. Wheel rim is too far away from me in my preferred seating position so I'm going back to the deep dish wheel for now...

Probably going to bite the bullet and just order one from Mooneyes. These are a hard vinyl grip, so should be less chance of getting it dirty...

2012-gs260pwwh.jpg

• Like 5

a lot of the early pics don't show up.

It's not that important. I've already changed all that stuff anyway...   :rofl:

We are 7 years into the build, three different photo hosting sites (one of which went under) and I'm on my third hard drive since then, so...  

• Like 1

Wheel test fit...

20150321_095249.jpg

And to execute my next wacky idea, I removed the heater box. And apparently there's a spot on the side of it that happens to be perfect for the speakers I bought...   :thumbup:

20150321_125142.jpg

Marked off where it needed to go, got out the hole saw, and here we are...

20150321_133213.jpg

Both speakers in. Took the face off to put some nuts on the backs of the screws and ran some wires out the top...

20150321_135218.jpg

Grill back on. Blends in nicely with the box I think...

20150321_154241.jpg

Cleaned the box and got it all back together, ready to go in...

20150321_154215.jpg

Box bolted in the car and you can barely even tell they are in there...   :thumbup:

20150321_160203.jpg

That looks super clean! Nicely done. 

I like the blue one. It will look great with that shift knob. 

So, no heater then?

Nah. Gutted the heater box a long time ago to save weight. Only kept the empty box in the car because it didn't weigh much, and I liked the way it looked.   :rofl:

When I recently got the wacky idea to actually put some tunes in the car, I figured I might as well get some use out of the now ornamental heater box. 

Side benefit of keeping the box in the car is I can still get some fresh air into the car through it, too.    :thumbup:

And I was never going to clutter up my engine bay with heater hoses anyway...   :rofl:

• Like 2

Nah. Gutted the heater box a long time ago to save weight. Only kept the empty box in the car because it didn't weigh much, and I liked the way it looked.   :rofl:

When I recently got the wacky idea to actually put some tunes in the car, I figured I might as well get some use out of the ornamental heater box. 

Side benefit of keeping the box in the car is I can still get some fresh air into the car through it, too.    :thumbup:

Oh to live somewhere 'other' that New England. That said, I've never drivin my Datsuns in the winter here. Come to think of it, my 510 has no heater installed...

• Like 2

Oh to live somewhere 'other' that New England. 

Yeah, just about the only thing I use them for here is to defrost the windshield on cool, humid mornings.   :rofl:

On a weekend toy it would see almost zero use here. My current plan is to drive the car to the shop every Saturday when it's done. I would wager there are less than 10-12 weekends a year that I couldn't do it because of inclement weather. 

Oh to live somewhere 'other' that New England. That said, I've never drivin my Datsuns in the winter here. Come to think of it, my 510 has no heater installed...

I only use my heater in the winter, summer I put the other seat back in 

20120210stovecar5_zpsv53lleuz.jpg

• Like 10
  • 3 weeks later...

Found some scuff plates in a 240Z in the junkyard. They were in pretty good shape so I snapped them up...

20150407_133735.jpg

Went for a test fit. Shiny half, about 1/2" too wide...

20150407_133800.jpg

Textured black half, turned around backwards from how it goes in the 240Z, also a bit too wide...

20150407_133822.jpg

If I trimmed them slightly (where red line is), I could use both at the same time...

20150407_134229.jpg

I could just use the black one trimmed slightly less and it would fill the whole gap and look fine...

Before I can go any further I have to find a way to cut a very straight line on a wicked thin piece of metal...    :rofl:

• Like 1

Found some scuff plates in a 240Z in the junkyard. They were in pretty good shape so I snapped them up...

20150407_133735.jpg

Went for a test fit. Shiny half, about 1/2" too wide...

20150407_133800.jpg

Textured black half, turned around backwards from how it goes in the 240Z, also a bit too wide...

20150407_133822.jpg

If I trimmed them slightly (where red line is), I could use both at the same time...

20150407_134229.jpg

I could just use the black one trimmed slightly less and it would fill the whole gap and look fine...

Before I can go any further I have to find a way to cut a very straight line on a wicked thin piece of metal...    :rofl:

What is their length? Mat has a large metal shear in his shop.