'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

Overall I don't think the vent is too ostentatious, but YMMV...

normal_20150103_131403.jpg

Also note I finally installed the Sunny roundel I bought from Japan 5 years ago...   :rofl:  

Hate to be that guy, but I would have run that to behind the gas door to keep that panel clean. Your ride tho, as long as you like it it's perfect. :)

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to be that guy, but I would have run that to behind the gas door to keep that panel clean. Your ride tho, as long as you like it it's perfect. :)

S'not my place to say, but he did have a very good reason for putting it there.

Hate to be that guy, but I would have run that to behind the gas door to keep that panel clean.

Well...

S'not my place to say, but he did have a very good reason for putting it there.

As it turns out, there was a dent there. The dent was about 1/2" in diameter and the metal was stretched a lot and pushed in about 6-7mm. Hammering it out would've been almost impossible, and would've required repainting the entire rear panel. 

So the debate was, hammer it out and paint the area between the lights black like this car, or drill the hole right through the center of the dent. Since my vent tube lines up with the dent almost perfectly, I went this way. May regret it, may not. I like it, though...    :thumbup:

If I decide down the road I don't like it after all, it will actually be easier to weld up the hole than it would've been to hammer out the dent...   ^_^

• Like 4

Well...

As it turns out, there was a dent there. The dent was about 1/2" in diameter and the metal was stretched a lot and pushed in about 5mm. Hammering it out would've been almost impossible, and would've required repainting the entire rear panel. 

So the debate was, hammer it out and paint the area between the lights black like this car, or drill the hole right through the center of the dent. Since my vent tube lines up with the dent almost perfectly, I went this way. May regret it, may not. I like it, though...    :thumbup:

If I decide down the road I don't like it after all, it will actually be easier to weld up the hole than it would've been to hammer out the dent...   ^_^

Can't argue with that :lol: 

Can't argue with that :lol:

Just realized that pretty much every photo I've posted of the car has the dent photoshop'd out. That is how much it annoyed me.   :rofl:

You can sort of see it here...

Picture_003.jpg

Not large in diameter, but very deep. Probably came close to punching a hole through the metal. No idea how it happened, it was in the car when I got it.

Actually, that photo was taken the first day I got the car. Been photoshopping it out ever since...   :rofl:

• Like 3

Not large in diameter, but very deep. Probably came close to punching a hole through the metal. No idea how it happened, it was in the car when I got it.

We have a dent like that in our older Xterra, some asshat shot it with a bb gun one night. I put a ratsun sticker over it. :lol: 

• Like 1

Wouldn't be at all surprised if this was a high powered BB/pellet gun hit...  :P

I'm pretty sure it was just one of the many dents from the overhead door blowing in on it during that tornado... but I could be high.

• Like 2

Tank mounts done. Got some 1x2 box and made the spacers to prop up the left side since the floor is lower there than the right side. Also got some of these bushings to make the tank sit better on the uneven floor...

Bolted in for the last time... I hope...

20150110_114310.jpg

Cut a small hole in the tail light cover panel to snake the vent hose through...

20150110_123400.jpg

Hose tightened up and the cover panel installed...

20150110_125622.jpg

Some time this week I'll make a fuel pump mount and get that plumbed so the fuel system will be finished...   :thumbup:

• Like 2

Thanks. That will be really nice for cleaning up the engine bay  :thumbup:

I'm probably "telling my grandmother how to suck eggs" here but...  You need to mount that kind of pump at the rear of the car so the tank feeds it with gravity. Those are "pushers" not "pullers."  

You need to mount that kind of pump at the rear of the car so the tank feeds it with gravity. Those are "pushers" not "pullers."  

What he said.  :thumbup:

This one will be mounted right under the tank, on the right side of the car, as close as I can to the stock steel fuel line. 

If you look at my engine bay, you can see the stock line comes into the engine bay right over the starter. If you redirect it towards the back of the cylinder head, you can come straight over to the carb and be somewhat hidden...

And by rebending that pipe a bit, you could hide it way better than I did...   ^_^

20140830_130614.jpg

What did you do about the brake hard line grommets on the inner fenders? Mine are shot. 

Haven't done anything to them yet. They are in good shape, and I'll never drive it in the rain, so...   ^_^

If they aren't available new, I'd find some rubber plugs that fit the big hole and just punch a hole through the center of them? 

Option B would be a choke cable grommet? 

64-25756.jpg

• Like 1