'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

Kept seeing the hole in the radiator support showing white through the grill and it annoyed me, so I decided to pop the hood on and see if you can still see it...

20141218_174436.jpg

Also installed some stainless lanyards on my hood pins that my bestest buddy Tim bought me for my birthday.  :thumbup:

And since I can still see the white hole, think I'm going to get something like this, paint it black, install over the hole, and aim it at my carbs.   ^_^

ALL42140.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the tank will go right over where the spare tire went, we have to ditch the spare tire mount. Out comes the saw and...

20141220_104750.jpg

Drilled a small hole in the right side of the spare tire recess for the line to feed through to under the car. Then swapped the 90 degree fitting on the feed hose out for a 160 degree fitting. Now the hose is almost completely under the tank. Makes for a cleaner install and gets the feed hose well below the level of the tank so it acts as a defacto surge tank...

20141220_122253.jpg

Now it comes out here. Will attach it to the floor so it's out of sight, then run a very short rubber hose from here to the pump...

20141220_123239.jpg

Test fitting the vent hose. Waiting for a check valve to arrive, then I can install a vent in the tail light panel...

20141220_122355.jpg

Didn't have the hardware I wanted for the tank so that'll have to wait until next week. I need to make some pedestals for the left side mounts also so it sits a tiny bit above the floor level...

• Like 2

Those thin plastic ones are brittle.

Yeah, almost all that I've seen are brittle and crumbly. Somehow I really lucked out on this car, as all of mine are still as pliable as they were new. 

It helps that this car hasn't been driven in almost 25 years and has been stored inside that whole time...   :rofl:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Tank vent check valve in...

normal_20150103_131702.jpg

Outside view of tank vent...

normal_20150103_123508.jpg

Vent line installed...

normal_20150103_131654.jpg

Overall I don't think the vent is too ostentatious, but YMMV...

normal_20150103_131403.jpg

Also note I finally installed the Sunny roundel I bought from Japan 5 years ago...   :rofl:  

• Like 1

Tank vent check valve in...

normal_20150103_131702.jpg

Outside view of tank vent...

normal_20150103_123508.jpg

Vent line installed...

normal_20150103_131654.jpg

Overall I don't think the vent is too ostentatious, but YMMV...

normal_20150103_131403.jpg

Also note I finally installed the Sunny roundel I bought from Japan 5 years ago...   :rofl:  

Looks a little James Bond-ish. I like it. 

FWIW..I think those trim clips are still available from Nissan, or were about a year and a half ago.  Tried to find an invoice with the part # but no luck.  If memory serves it is 01553-00923.  Tried to look them up but that # was not in the catalog.  Will try to do some research this week and report back here.

FWIW..I think those trim clips are still available from Nissan, or were about a year and a half ago. 

I actually asked the dealer about them awhile back. They said they had them, but there were $1.19 a pair, or $6.45 for a box of 10. 

This is a box of 50 for about $7, so...   ;)

Hey Dfreak, I have a new toy... Just wanted to stop by and let you know that you talked me into buying a coupe (not a 1200 though :P ). Love all the work you guys do, and sure I'll have a ton of questions for you on this one.

Started thinking about how I could fix the hole cut by the previous owner of this dash to install a modern radio, then I saw one of these online and thought I'd give it a try.

It's a regular single-DIN radio, but while it's the same size up front as any modern head unit, it's only half as deep. By having no CD player or cassette player, it only has to be 4" deep, which is very nice for a Datsun. In most Datsuns the dash isn't really deep enough to cleanly install most modern head units, so this is a very nice option...

And as a bonus it has no moving parts, and weighs only 6 ounces.   B)

20150105_180241.jpg

Bear in mind, it is not "high fidelity" audio by any stretch of the imagination. It's a really cheap, really light weight option for someone who wants something a little more than the usual noises an old car provides...  ^_^

I also bought a pair of 4" 2-way speakers for another idea I had...

I was thinking of where to hide some speakers so they'd be out of sight. Since I gutted my heater box and it's just for flow-through ventilation now, I think I can seal up the bottom half of the box (where the heater core went) and install the speakers in it...    :thumbup:

• Like 3

And in case it isn't obvious, it not only has an 1/8" aux input on the front, it also has a USB input and an SD car slot. So you can plug almost any device into it. So not having a CD player is no big deal when you can either plug in your phone, or dump all your music onto a flash drive or SD card and pop it right in.   :thumbup:

• Like 2

I've been looking for a way to set up my new project's radio, but I don't want to mess up the stock interior. Will probably just do the AUX input modification to the AM radio so it all looks stock.

• Like 1

I've been looking for a way to set up my new project's radio, but I don't want to mess up the stock interior. Will probably just do the AUX input modification to the AM radio so it all looks stock.

Had this dash not already been hacked up, I certainly would've gone that way. I have a stock AM radio I already modded to take an aux jack. Will probably just save that for the next 510...

Side note, this new radio has a remote control, so you could always hide the head unit somewhere? My boss saw this and dug it, so we might get another one and mount it inside his console (he has a 620KC) and see if it can be operated via remote. 

• Like 1