'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Removed the old door opening windlace...

20150729_172733.jpg

Bought 24 feet of new windlace...

20150729_172949.jpg

Found some "traction tape" that has a similar sheen and texture to the new windlace. Trimmed it down to 1" wide, cut it to the length of the original step plate...

20150729_173000.jpg

Rounded the corners and stuck it on. Covers the old screw holes well...

20150729_173104.jpg

New windlace installed (goes all the way around now)...

20150729_181341.jpg

Corners cut square because you'll see...

20150729_174227.jpg

510 wagon corner pieces trimmed slightly to match the 1200 door opening curvature and installed...

20150729_181329.jpg

Now I can stop laying awake at night thinking about how I can make some step plates...   ^_^

• Like 5

Picked up a pair of early S30 seats on the cheap because they were ripped up...

20150730_140646.jpg

But oddly enough, one seat had a back with no rips and the other had a bottom with no rips...   :thumbup:

So I unbolted the backs from both seats, reassembled the two ripped halves into one whole seat to keep as a spare, then starting working on the good pieces...

20150730_141622.jpg

20150730_141640.jpg

Going to try and dye the seat blue, so I took the side plates off so I could repaint them satin black...

20150730_182722.jpg

Flipped the bottom over to see if the 1200 seat bracket I have will fit. Spacing of tubes is decent, but the holes in it are way off. Who knew a 1200 had a wider seat track than a Z...

20150730_175231.jpg

Took some measurements and drilled 4 new holes and here we are. Need to get some longer bolts and maybe some washers to use as a spacer between the rails and the seat...

20150730_181100.jpg

Got the bottom scrubbed clean and ready for the dye...

20150730_182612.jpg

Used this SEM vinyl dye because the cap color was a spot on match for my door panels...

20150730_182851.jpg

But in reality, it's a good bit lighter, and has a little too much purple in it...   :crying:

20150730_183648.jpg

So before I paint the top half, I'm going to go back to the paint store and get some more dye that's darker to see what it does...   :blush:

• Like 1

Got some of the darker dye today...

20150731_094028.jpg

That's much better...

20150731_101556_0_.jpg

Bottom and top halves done...

20150731_104711.jpg

Slider drilled, painted, and installed...

20150731_110719.jpg

Side brackets painted and installed...

20150731_112132.jpg

Funny that the factory used these plastic gaskets between the side brackets and the seat back...

And yes, I put them back in...   ^_^

20150731_110949.jpg

Seat bolted in...

20150731_114730.jpg

Figured since I now have a passenger seat, a seat belt might not be the worst idea...   :rofl:

Got this vintage Pyrotect harness from the parts stash and cleaned it up...

20150731_132834.jpg

Never used it because the shoulder harnesses were missing, so it'll make a passable lap belt at least...

20150731_141101.jpg

I like how it sort of mimics the shape of the Kirkey, and the color is a pretty good match (looks off in this photo a little, but it's not), but I kinda want to put some spacers on the bottom bracket to make the headrests the same height...   :P

20150731_120102.jpg

I was planning to put the battery in the rear passenger floorboard, but since I added this seat, I think we'll be moving it back to the back. Somewhere in this area, after I cut off that bracket...

20150731_102231.jpg

Got a box and some other bits for it today. So time to get it back up on jackstands and run the positive cable under the car...

20150731_102132.jpg

I like this darker blue on the seat much better as it's quite a good match for the Kirkey. Only problem now is that I want to go ahead and pull the door panels (and maybe the dash pad) and dye them to match the new seat...   :rofl:

• Like 5

All of that might have inspired me to do something with the Econoline.

Probably not. I did the seat dye before work, the seat assembly on my lunch break, and put it in the car after work, so...   :rofl:

I need a full day on it soon to button up a few other things so we can drive the damn thing...   :bye:

• Like 1

i am surprised how well the finish looks.

SEM is good stuff. Not cheap, but super durable as long as you get the vinyl super clean, and give it a couple of days to cure before sitting on it. We did an entire interior on an F250 Crew Cab with this once and even after 6 years of use as a work truck it never chipped or peeled, and still cleaned up well. Also did the door panels and seats on one of the 510s I built and 10 years later it still looks great.  :thumbup:

Any advice on which battery relocation kit to buy? That's my next job on the ute.

This is the one I got:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1200a/overview/

We've used it a few times and it always does the trick. The 20 foot positive cable is nice, as it's always more than enough to get from the very rear of the car to the starter. 

Same thing but with a metal box:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-48101/overview/

• Like 1

This is the one I got:

We've used it a few times and it always does the trick. The 20 foot positive cable is nice, as it's always more than enough to get from the very rear of the car to the starter.

Nice link. I've got a shaved battery tray and was thinking of doing this.

SEM is good stuff. Not cheap, but super durable as long as you get the vinyl super clean, and give it a couple of days to cure before sitting on it. We did an entire interior on an F250 Crew Cab with this once and even after 6 years of use as a work truck it never chipped or peeled, and still cleaned up well. Also did the door panels on one of the 510s I built and 10 years later it still looks great.  :thumbup:

This is the one I got:

if you got the one with the metal box you could have maybe painted it to blend in with the rest of the trunk, but the vinyl dye could be used on the plastic box to make it match the interior.

Nice link. I've got a shaved battery tray and was thinking of doing this.

Where is the battery now?!?   ^_^

if you got the one with the metal box you could have maybe painted it to blend in with the rest of the trunk, but the vinyl dye could be used on the plastic box to make it match the interior.

While that's a great idea, I'm not too terribly concerned about it on this car.  I'm going more for a "survivor" look than a "restored" look. It's a lot cheaper.   :rofl:

But I can definitely see doing that on the next build...   :thumbup:

• Like 2

Where is the battery now?!?

There is a aluminum mount in the frame rail for a small battery....I don't like small batteries. I usually use marine RV deep cycles for massive overkill, saved my ass more than once.

I usually use marine RV deep cycles for massive overkill, saved my ass more than once.

Then you definitely want it in the trunk.  :thumbup:

And check dimensions of the aluminum box versus what battery you want. The plastic box I have will hold any size battery, but the aluminum box is a little smaller. 

• Like 1

Probably not. I did the seat dye before work, the seat assembly on my lunch break, and put it in the car after work, so...   :rofl:

it must be nice to be able to take care of things while still at work, its always amazed me how much stuff you guys can get accomplished.   meanwhile im setting time aside on my days off, and its so damn hot outside all i want to do is go swimming.

• Like 1

Flipped the bottom over to see if the 1200 seat bracket I have will fit. Spacing of tubes is decent, but the holes in it are way off. Who knew a 1200 had a wider seat track than a Z...

Curious to know how you attached the custom rails to the 1200 rails? Closer picture please.

Curious to know how you attached the custom rails to the 1200 rails? 

I did this:

1. Based on the spacing of the front-to-back bolt holes on the Z seat, weld two crossbars onto the 1200 rails while still attached to the 1200 seat, spaced apart to this measurement. 

2. Measure distance of bolt holes side-to-side on the Z seat. Drill four new holes in the two crossbars you added to line up with the Z seat bolt holes.

3. Bolt modified 1200 rail "assembly" to the Z seat.

4. Bolt seat into 1200. 

Pretty simple really. Just measure a lot.    :thumbup:

Closer picture please.

Too late.   ^_^

I did this:

1. Based on the spacing of the front-to-back bolt holes on the Z seat, weld two crossbars onto the 1200 rails while still attached to the 1200 seat, spaced apart to this measurement. 

2. Measure distance of bolt holes side-to-side on the Z seat. Drill four new holes in the two crossbars you added to line up with the Z seat bolt holes.

3. Bolt modified 1200 rail "assembly" to the Z seat.

4. Bolt seat into 1200. 

Pretty simple really. Just measure a lot.    :thumbup:

Too late.   ^_^

Aaahaaa. I knew there was welding involved. Any way to do this without welding?

Any way to do this without welding?

Oh, totally. But could I describe it over the internet? Who knows...  :rofl:

But here we go...

Do as above, but...

1. Drill 4 holes in the 1200 seat track to correspond with the spacing of the 240Z seat mounting holes front-to-back. 

2. Attach a two pieces of flat strap (1" wide, 1/8" thick steel) to the bottom of the 1200 tracks via bolts and nuts, going from side-to-side, one front and one rear.

3. Drill holes in the straps to line up with the Z bolt holes. 

Basically same as above but instead of welding a brace between the track, you bolt flat strap to the bottom of it.