'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

Oh, totally. But could I describe it over the internet? Who knows...  :rofl:

But here we go...

Do as above, but...

1. Drill 4 holes in the 1200 seat track to correspond with the spacing of the 240Z seat mounting holes front-to-back. 

2. Attach a two pieces of flat strap (1" wide, 1/8" thick steel) to the bottom of the 1200 tracks via bolts and nuts, going from side-to-side, one front and one rear.

3. Drill holes in the straps to line up with the Z bolt holes. 

Basically same as above but instead of welding a brace between the track, you bolt flat strap to the bottom of it. 

Like so. :)

Pictures005.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a tight fit but they are very comfy

Everything is a tight fit in a ute/bakkie.   :rofl:

My buddy Steve who has one here used a cut down Mazda B2000 pickup seat. He's 6'2", so his is the only ute I can drive...   :P

Cut down, notched for the shifter, and refoamed...

Picture_167.jpg

In the truck...

normal_z_%288%29.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a box and some other bits for it today. So time to get it back up on jackstands and run the positive cable under the car...

20150731_102132.jpg

I was advised on 1200.com to run my battery cable to an "isolater" mounted on the strut tower in the engine bay.   Are you planning to do this or run straight to the starter?

Anyone advise where to buy an "isolater"?

I think they are referring to a Ford-type starter solenoid.  If the cable coming from the battery gets shorted somehow, the solenoid will isolate it from taking the car wiring with it. 

I'm doing a remote battery location in my wagon project, and I'm using a heavy duty disconnect switch.  Same principal as above, just a different way of doing it. 

I was advised on 1200.com to run my battery cable to an "isolater" mounted on the strut tower in the engine bay.   Are you planning to do this or run straight to the starter?

Straight to the starter. 

Sorry, but I do not. 

I'm doing a remote battery location in my wagon project, and I'm using a heavy duty disconnect switch.  Same principal as above, just a different way of doing it. 

IMO, this is a better idea than an isolater. I have thought about it, but decided against it for this car. 

Took my gas door to the paint store and had them mix up some paint to match and put it in a can...

20150819_164456.jpg

Dug out the rear spoiler...

20150819_164506.jpg

Got it cleaned up and sanded down and gave it a test fit...

20150819_173724.jpg

Wanted to get in into primer today but had to spend a lot of time trimming it a bit here and there to make it more symmetrical. Hoping to get it primed tomorrow and maybe put some paint on it...

• Like 4

Took my gas door to the paint store and had them mix up some paint to match and put it in a can...

20150819_164456.jpg

Dug out the rear spoiler...

20150819_164506.jpg

Got it cleaned up and sanded down and gave it a test fit...

20150819_173724.jpg

Wanted to get in into primer today but had to spend a lot of time trimming it a bit here and there to make it more symmetrical. Hoping to get it primed tomorrow and maybe put some paint on it...

You should pull a mold off it first, and sell them. Every time I find one for sale, I'm broke, and when I have a little extra money, none to be had! :(

• Like 2

They sell battery isolaters at O'Reilly Auto, but I'm not sure why you would need one. Isolaters are used on motorhomes so your alternator charges the storage batteries but the starter and engine accessories don't draw power from them.

• Like 1

Started looking at how I want to mount the spoiler and we don't really like what a poor footprint it has to attach to the trunk. It's basically hollow inside so you just have about a 1/2" lip at the front edge to attach it to the trunk. So, we decided to fill it with expanding foam...   :rofl:

20150820_165505.jpg

After this cures I'll shave the foam down to fit the trunk surface so it will have a more stable footprint, and hopefully reduce the risk of the spoiler rubbing through the paint on the trunk. Then we'll use some double-stick tape in addition to the mounting screws...   :thumbup:

• Like 3

I would glass over the foam for a solid suface to stick the tape to

Good idea. I was thinking about doing something to that effect...

Looks like you were serving up some sort of meal with the paper plates nearby  :sick:

Actually, no.   :rofl:

I keep the paper plates around for mixing up small batches of body filler.    ;)

I have a metal plate I normally use to mix filler, but disposable beats the heck out of cleaning the plate all the time. Especially when you just need a little bit, and you need it quick.   :thumbup:

can I come check out the car sometime since I'm local?  

Sure.  :thumbup:

Foam cut to shape and sanded...

20150821_110926.jpg

Foam 'glassed over and primed...

20150821_144443.jpg

I was originally thinking of keeping it satin black, but after seeing it in white primer I definitely made the right choice...   ^_^

20150821_151357.jpg

Also got tired of dusting my engine once a week, so I finally put the hood back on...   :rofl:

20150821_172007.jpg

• Like 5