• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aw come on, it's an HK, shooting it won't hurt it, it's built like a brick shit house.

Unfired guns in original packaging like that are rare to come by. It's safely tucked away. Honestly, I have no inclination to fire it. I'll eventually sell it to a principal... for way more than I have into it.

If you really want to make money reselling guns, find ones off police auction houses that were used in homicides or notorious robberies. For some fucked up reason affluent people spend big money to have such things in their homes...

Eh, I can see both sides. I have guns I shoot, and guns I don't. If I buy a gun in "shooter" condition, I shoot it. If it's mint or near mint, I don't.

It's not like the P7 was ever going to be a daily carry. I have a few Colts and Walthers that are safe trophies, in original boxes.

I'll never carry them, so training with them is a waste of time. It just induces new points of failure. So I drill with what I carry. I shoot what I carry to create muscle memory. It's all pretty basic stuff. I just have no desire to be 'combat effective' with a safe trophy.

• 2 weeks later...

got my first 1911 today. I always wanted one but never fired one before today. this is an Auto Ordnance that is supposed to be about ten years old and was the dealer's carry piece for a while. he quit carrying it because it to heavy - everybody in the gun shop went into bauble head mode when he said that.

20170223_160546.jpg

• Like 3

got my first 1911 today. I always wanted one but never fired one before today. this is an Auto Ordnance that is supposed to be about ten years old and was the dealer's carry piece for a while. he quit carrying it because it to heavy - everybody in the gun shop went into bauble head mode when he said that.

20170223_160546.jpg

Best .45 Automatic Colt M1911A1 I ever shot was an original US Army Springfield Armory Match 1911!  All wear surfaces were hand polished, including the lips and follower of the 3 magazines [serial numbered to the mating pistol] that came in the original arsenal pack! It was the tightest fitted pistol I ever had even today!  The polished magazines never left scratch marks on the ejected cases, that's how finely the magazines were hand fitted  .It shot incredible groups.  I came 1 point from getting an "Excelence in Competition" medal shooting it.  Too bad I had to turn it in when I transferred to Japan!  On the other hand I came back with a Japanese wife!  A very good trade indeed!

• Like 1

A) To edekalil: Way cool pistol!  I've had the shit hots for an Extar EXP for some time now.

2) My, personal, problem with carrying a 1911 is "Cocked and Locked" just worries the crap out of me.  I know, I know... people have been doing it for over 100 years.  I never said it was a RATIONAL concern.  I just don't feel comfortable doing it.  I'd rather have a decocker and DA/SA trigger... to keep from shooting myself in the vagina.  (There John, beat you to it!  Nanny, nanny, boo, boo!)

• Like 3

I'm not knocking the 1911 at all, one of the greatest pistols ever made, but not a great carry gun for most people.

The US Army and Air Force agreed!  So they had the "Real" Springfield Armory develop the General"s model M1911.  Since commercially and imperfectly duplicated by many commercial vendors [as opposed to real developer/builders, not middlemen for the products of others].  Short slide.  Short grip.  Easily fits the average General Officer's waist line.  Not sure about Female General Officers.  Standard .45 GI ammunition of course!  On promotion to the General Officer rank the incumbent is allowed to chose his/her personal side arm.  After all, Generals are exposed to very high level intelligence and national defense information which must be protected !  The old USAF standard was a .38 Combat revolver.  BOO!

• 2 months later...

I'm going to a "Friends of the NRA" dinner thing tonight in Granbury. I've been told there are raffles and door prizes and stuff.  My brother-in-law won a Kimber 1911 one year so... I'll win a Hi-Point or something.  No, now that I think about it, I'll probably "win" a GLOCK... in .357 SIG or some such nonsense.  If so, at least there's a gun show this weekend where I could offload the thing on some poor sucker one else.

I built this for shooting race cars at speed. I had seen similar setups available commercially for wildlife photography, figured I could build one for cheap.

I have a cable release and the plunger goes where a trigger would. Couldn't find it for the photo. The rifle stock was given to me by a gunsmith, someone brought it to him after trying to modify it for a different action and broke the forestock. I cut it down some, and fabbed up the mount from scrap sourced at Boeing Surplus when it was open in Kent.

Got about $20 into it, not counting the camera and lens.

33630490184_a072014dd5_b.jpgLong Lens Setup by Racer, on Flickr

This is a shot I made with it of Nigel Mansell at Portland back in the early 1990's.

34313315422_83d46afc64_b.jpgNigel Mansell Portland by Racer, on Flickr

• Like 2

It was popular in Glock and Sig for police for a while after the North Hollywood shooting. .40 S&W won the war for caliber supremacy.

As far as selling guns though, Glock had some help from strippers selling guns..... so a LOT of major departments made deals to sell guns. So the Glock 22 became big shit.

However, it's been difficult to stay on board. Old cops like me remember the push to get rifles, better handguns, and armor that came out of that one shooting.

Say what you'd like about Glock, but they've saved my life more than once....

As far as what anyone else carries, carry what you shoot/practice with the most. If you Quick Draw a Colt SAA every weekend, carry one. If you shoot a .455 Webley Ofc Revolver and practice with it, or a .454 Casull, carry it. When you NEED it to work, you NEED your hands to be on autopilot so your brain can be making the SHOULD decisions.

• Like 4