• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The underfolder AK would be reasonable in a bag, the full size extended stock .308 battle rifle is way too much.

I'm hoping to get a sig 938 for a carry gun. I have a Smith 642 that I've been carrying for years but Im not happy with the accuracy, not to mention stub nose revolver sights aren't the best.

The underfolder AK would be reasonable in a bag, the full size extended stock .308 battle rifle is way too much.

I'm hoping to get a sig 938 for a carry gun. I have a Smith 642 that I've been carrying for years but Im not happy with the accuracy, not to mention stub nose revolver sights aren't the best.

I have a friend that carries a chopped down PTR in a camera tripod case. It isn't exactly inconspicuous, but you don't think "gun" when you see it.

I have a 442 for ultra conceal situations. It's an air weight with an Apex trigger kit. I passed the duty carry quals with it after much difficulty. I realized I needed to index shoot it without doing the "sight alignment, site picture" after the 15 yard mark and just trust my hands and draw. At 50 yds it really feels like you're throwing rocks.

Its honestly best for contact shots while grappling. Most shootings are at very close range. That's really where the 642/442 show their true strengths. If I have to be up close like that, I'd rather have a revolver. It's not hard to nullify an auto.

• Like 1

Very true, whole reason I bout the little airwieght, I also just want a good little semi auto carry gun for when that's what I feel like carrying. The little snub noses are point shoot guns anyway, I have a crimson Trace on mine, but sighted at 50ft from the factory I think they're giving it too much credit.

I'd suggest one of these two. I prefer 9mm as my defense round because I can put more rounds where I want them faster. I could argue calibers, but it's really personal preference. After I switched from .40 S&W to 9mm Luger my lethality rating nearly doubled. But that's a shooter by shooter qualification. I've seen guys out do my lethality score with Nighthawk 1911s.... more than once.

IMG_1827_zpsabeaiswi.jpg

Selection number 1, Smith & Wesson M&P Shield. This one was upgraded with a custom stipple, Apex Duty Carry Kit, and Trijicon HD Sights. It's a single stack semi-auto. I've run courses with these and for $325 + $125 (trigger kit) + $80 (sights) + 4 hrs armorer time (stipple, feed ramp polish, trigger assembly polish) they'll keep pace with their competitors. Hell, a stock one shoots fine. The Shield is my standard issue EDC weapon to my shooters. Some of them are waaaaaaay fancier... fuck... one of the girls has probably a grand into her gun. But... she'll fuck you up with it faster than you can blink. These come with an optional thumb safety which is why they're the benchmark for us. Some shooters prefer the safety. This one is mine, so that's why it's setup like this.

IMG_1826_zps19gzenw8.jpg

Selection number 2, Glock G43. Upgraded with ZevTec internals (I'm product testing them), Taran Tactical +3 basepad, Trijicon HD Sights, Streamlight TLR-6 light/laser combo, with a DSG Arms kydex appendix carry holster it starts about $425 + ($200 for the internals I think... I'd have to ask Zev) + $200 for the TLR & holster + $40 basepad + $100ish for the trijicon. Then I've got about 1 hr of armorer labor in. It will outshoot the shield starting at 25 meters. Keep in mind that most of my shooters are Glock guys. This one is a test gun. I got it about a month before public release and it has been RUN HARD and put away wet.

We had the Ruger LC9 as well... umm.... it washed out. We actually sent it back to Ruger... no one wanted it after the trial. The compact Sig 9mm and .40 both found homes, so did the Kimber micro whatever, the IMI Jericho baby whatever, all the H&Ks I've ever been sent, the FN smallest 9mm is in testing at another location now, and fuck, someone even took the Hi-Point... but... no one wanted the Ruger.... I couldn't give it away....

All good choices, the shield is a great little gun, buddy of mine has one. The rugers seem to be hit and miss, you get into that is just amazing or you get one that is a turd. I think the new rm380 from Remington is going to go the route too. Shame that once fine tuned hand made pocket gut has gone to the kings of make it cheaper and don't tell anyone about the potential failures.

• Like 1

Selection number 1, Smith & Wesson M&P Shield. This one was upgraded with a custom stipple, Apex Duty Carry Kit, and Trijicon HD Sights. It's a single stack semi-auto. I've run courses with these and for $325 + $125 (trigger kit) + $80 (sights) + 4 hrs armorer time (stipple, feed ramp polish, trigger assembly polish) they'll keep pace with their competitors. Hell, a stock one shoots fine. The Shield is my standard issue EDC weapon to my shooters. Some of them are waaaaaaay fancier... fuck... one of the girls has probably a grand into her gun. But... she'll fuck you up with it faster than you can blink. These come with an optional thumb safety which is why they're the benchmark for us. Some shooters prefer the safety. This one is mine, so that's why it's setup like this.

This is my next purchase for a carry pistol

• Like 1

All good choices, the shield is a great little gun, buddy of mine has one. The rugers seem to be hit and miss, you get into that is just amazing or you get one that is a turd. I think the new rm380 from Remington is going to go the route too. Shame that once fine tuned hand made pocket gut has gone to the kings of make it cheaper and don't tell anyone about the potential failures.

I actually didn't know that Remington was making pistols like that. Our Remington guy is on the East Coast, I really only keep up with Smith and Wesson, Glock, and Beretta. I could ask him if he tested one, and what he thought. He normally does our rifles. He built my Model 700.

I carry one quite a bit. They're easy to conceal. There's a couple armorer tricks that can make a normal one off the shelf a lot better. I could post up what to do if you care.

Interesting. I'd assume like anything else, you could get a decent one, or crap.

Kinda like Springfield XD's. The test ones we got were awesome... then guys started buying them and a couple were total shit...

I've seen a few crappy ones come out of a lot of high end places too. Had a Knights Armament K10 that was a $5000 train wreck, they ended up sending me an entirely new gun. Similar stories from HK, FN, Nighthawk, Wilson Combat, and Christiansen. But we're talking less than one percent for them.

Guns like Taurus and Rossi though... I've seen as many good as bad.

...and then there's Hi-Point. The gun that only works for murder...

And in half those cases they just beat someone to death with that heavy sumbitch...   :rofl:

I've seen people that were "pistol whipped" with them. Brutal injuries. I've shot them into gel packs for ballistic testing before as well.

I think it might be more accurate if you put it in a sock like a bike lock.

I like mine as a carry pistol, I got the one with the safety. Mags go on sale every once in a while also. 

Interesting. I'd assume like anything else, you could get a decent one, or crap.

Kinda like Springfield XD's. The test ones we got were awesome... then guys started buying them and a couple were total shit...

I've seen a few crappy ones come out of a lot of high end places too. Had a Knights Armament K10 that was a $5000 train wreck, they ended up sending me an entirely new gun. Similar stories from HK, FN, Nighthawk, Wilson Combat, and Christiansen. But we're talking less than one percent for them.

Guns like Taurus and Rossi though... I've seen as many good as bad.

...and then there's Hi-Point. The gun that only works for murder...

The article I read on them said that Remington learned from the r51 debacle. They took the first 100 pistols and beat the shit out of them. Then they take every 1000th and shoot it until failure, they said they gave up at 8000rds on many pistols. Sounds good but a Remington rep is going to tell you all the good stuff.

The article I read on them said that Remington learned from the r51 debacle. They took the first 100 pistols and beat the shit out of them. Then they take every 1000th and shoot it until failure, they said they gave up at 8000rds on many pistols. Sounds good but a Remington rep is going to tell you all the good stuff.

He's not a rep, he works for the same company I used to. They just send us stuff to try to get us to get us to buy shit. The company is big... really big. The only reps I deal with are aftermarket companies wanting their products tested in adverse conditions. They want testimonials to be able to sell weapons to larger markets.

Before I retired I was testing products and writing reviews. All kinds of stuff...

I got my Glock, AR-15, and M&P Armorer Certificates.

There's a couple armorer tricks that can make a normal one off the shelf a lot better. I could post up what to do if you care.

Id be very interested, I havent done much work with new stuff. Iv worked over/rebuilt some guns but all 1930s/40s stuff.

Best thing you can so is to polish the feed ramp and trigger contact points with a dremel. I could take some pictures the next time I pull one apart. It's not really difficult.

It takes the grit out out of the pull and reset in the trigger mechanism. That will increase your trigger pull sensation which will increase your accuracy. The feed ramp polish allows less force to be required to chamber a round. You can polish some additional depth into the barrel where the casing goes into the barrel. You won't really need this but you can do it.

Just use the fabric buffing wheel with light grit, don't sand it or you'll just make it worse.

• Like 1

IMG_1860_zpszb2dnt45.png

The yellow arrow points to the feed rail. On a stock barrel it has slight serrations from the machining process used to create them. Don't change any of the angles, just make it smooth.

IMG_1861_zpsqzajkxhg.png

The white arrows on the left show you the ends of the trigger bar. Before you knock the pins out, watch how this moves with the springs. Polish where it makes contact.

The smaller arrow inside the frame points to a tiny yellow spring, that's part of the Apex trigger kit, so you won't be able to change that without the kit.

You can take the rear sight off and polish the parts inside if you're confident in your abilities. There's a trick to it, which is to watch this boring ass video and this dude explains it to you... like you're 5.

https://youtu.be/GuVeqLc-ESU

• Like 1

He's not a rep, he works for the same company I used to. They just send us stuff to try to get us to get us to buy shit. The company is big... really big. The only reps I deal with are aftermarket companies wanting their products tested in adverse conditions. They want testimonials to be able to sell weapons to larger markets.

Before I retired I was testing products and writing reviews. All kinds of stuff...

I got my Glock, AR-15, and M&P Armorer Certificates.

I was referring to the article I read on the rm380 but yeah they're a huge company.

I was referring to the article I read on the rm380 but yeah they're a huge company.

I meant my former employer. They'll buy hundreds at a time. In turn, their endorsement gets other people to buy them... selling thousands more.

My Remington guy does lots of long distance shit. He shot the Remington .380 and didn't like the caliber. But... his snub nose is a S&W .357, it's that M&P snub nose that's like a grand. He's... a gun snob.

I'm pretty sure if you handed him a Weatherby Vanguard he'd go to the restroom and wash his hands.... so don't let his snobbery desuade you. His duty carry is an original WW2 1911 that was redone by Turnbull... so... yeah... and he's a retired Marine Sniper. So... that too.

Guns need to fit the individual. Like the Shields being only $225 now with a manufacturer rebate. It comes down to the shooter.

Why I got rid of my ppk, just didn't like they way it handled for me. Buddy has a p938 and it actually a softer shooter than the ppk was. I really wish I could carry my full-size USP but its just too damn big to conceal on my skinny ass, I have a hard enough time hiding the 642. :Lol: