39 minutes ago, bananahamuck said:

After watching the documentary about these guys ..  I'm of the mind nothing good will come  of this ice exploration business

I've always felt this way about space exploration. Our tax dollars are being used to photograph and discover shit in outer space that doesn't benefit the average pawn in anyway. "Breaking news! Turns out Pluto is not actually a planet." Yeah, and?

Unless we can find a way to eat these photographs or discoveries. I'd be just fine not learning another useless fact about outer space for the rest of my days. Even if we were to say, find a black hole that was about to gobble earth up. Or discover that a Kansas sized meteor is headed straight for earth. What the hell are we gonna do about it? 

Edited by IZRL
  • Like 3
  • Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a host of things that have come about because of the space race and many trickle down products from these. Stuff you take for granted.

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2019/06/13/inventions-we-use-every-day-that-were-actually-invented-for-space-exploration/

https://togetherband.org/blogs/news/space-inventions-used-everyday

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 4/15/2024 at 6:24 AM, datzenmike said:

The facts are there are a lot of facts and we just don't really know. Right now the pendulum is swinging towards warm. Her is a longer timeline...

Past-and-Future-Global-Temperature-Trends-1536x621.thumb.webp.36c0777cb7b3444f6952edd16471e1f5.webp

Would you look at that. So in other words those assholes are full of shit. The Planet's climate changing is not out of the ordinary. And again humans have nothing to do with it.

Of course the accuracy of these "facts" are questionable at best. At the very least they're probably accurate enough to show that the planet goes through seasons of extreme cold and extreme heat. Which makes sense to me. History has shown that the planet is a creature of habit. Things always repeat. 

The only beef I have with that chart is that.

1. If they could truly get climate data from that far back. Why couldn't they go a little further to see how quickly the temperature climbed after the previous ice age. My guess would be that it went up just as fast as they're saying it's going up now. 

2. Come on now. The data after 2007-ish is all speculation. They can't predict temperatures 10 years in advance. But 300 years, they're like "hold my beer". Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit. I'm surprised they didn't just go all in and just make that chart line go 90 degrees straight up vertically after 2030. They just didn't want to have to change the location of the years to the right side of the chart going up.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, IZRL said:

I've always felt this way about space exploration. Our tax dollars are being used to photograph and discover shit in outer space that doesn't benefit the average pawn in anyway. "Breaking news! Turns out Pluto is not actually a planet." Yeah, and?

Unless we can find a way to eat these photographs or discoveries. I'd be just fine not learning another useless fact about outer space for the rest of my days. Even if we were to say, find a black hole that was about to gobble earth up. Or discover that a Kansas sized meteor is headed straight for earth. What the hell are we gonna do about it? 

The only way humans will survive long term is to spread out from the Earth, don't really want all of our eggs in one basket so to speak.

"Or discover that a Kansas sized meteor is headed straight for earth" There have been several experiments looking to deal exactly with that in fact. 1. is the tracking of various objects in space to give enough time to mount a response 2. others have been involved in landing various craft on asteroids etc and determining their composition and 3. how hard it is to move them, as you only need a very fine change in vector to miss a planet. 

https://www.nasa.gov/news-release/nasa-confirms-dart-mission-impact-changed-asteroids-motion-in-space/

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ooph! said:

Both Ways.jpg

Would save a lot of money and trouble if they just offered the other type of Canadian healthcare.

b98d252aececfd8a003ff8d2e0831e9f84daf26f0567bb0a5bf4c7ce9a6abbc7_1-1177063787.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Dguy210 said:

The only way humans will survive long term is to spread out from the Earth, don't really want all of our eggs in one basket so to speak.

You and I aren't gonna be on the guest list for that party. Neither is anyone else who's below a multi-billion dollar net worth.

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, IZRL said:

You and I aren't gonna be on the guest list for that party. Neither is anyone else who's below a multi-billion dollar net worth.

Yeah but those stupid fucks won't be able to live on their own cause they don't know how to do anything. 

Edited by ratpatrol66
  • Like 3
28 minutes ago, ratpatrol66 said:

Yeah but those stupid fucks won't be able to live on their own cause they don't know how to do anything. 

• Haha 1

Those assholes don't give a damn about climate change. I wonder how eco friendly the bombs that are being dropped due to the wars they instigated are? But people should starve because fertilizer is bad for the environment. The warmer temperatures should be the least of our worries.

Things just got real. WWIII has already begun. They just haven't officially reported it yet. Telling you guys, the Biden Administration is throwing a Hail Mary. I'll be surprised if we even have a country to have an election in come November.

We as Americans have been so fortunate not to have ever been directly affected by war on our own soil. We have been so spoiled. Which is why many Americans talk about war like it ain't nothin but a chicken wang. Everybody's like "yeah let's support Ukraine, fuck russia", "Yeah fuck Israel", "fuck Iraq", "Fuck China". All that shit talk coming from people who have never experienced the kind of death and destruction our country has unleashed on the rest of the world in recent history. Hate to break it to those folks but this war will be different. We are without a doubt gonna be hit on our own soil IMO. I pray this doesn't happen 🙏 . But with the rest of the world being as capable as the U.S. when it comes to weapons technology. The odds are high we aint gonna come out of it unscathed. Nevermind if one of those countries decides, "If we're going down, we're taking everyone else down with us".

Edited by IZRL
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, IZRL said:

Would you look at that. So in other words those assholes are full of shit. The Planet's climate changing is not out of the ordinary. And again humans have nothing to do with it.

Of course the accuracy of these "facts" are questionable at best. At the very least they're probably accurate enough to show that the planet goes through seasons of extreme cold and extreme heat. Which makes sense to me. History has shown that the planet is a creature of habit. Things always repeat. 

The only beef I have with that chart is that.

1. If they could truly get climate data from that far back. Why couldn't they go a little further to see how quickly the temperature climbed after the previous ice age. My guess would be that it went up just as fast as they're saying it's going up now. 

2. Come on now. The data after 2007-ish is all speculation. They can't predict temperatures 10 years in advance. But 300 years, they're like "hold my beer". Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit. I'm surprised they didn't just go all in and just make that chart line go 90 degrees straight up vertically after 2030. They just didn't want to have to change the location of the years to the right side of the chart going up.

This man has nothing to with it attitude is what I don't understand. Not trying to be a dick but how does man escape having any impact on the planet? Get on Google Earth much or ever fly anywhere? Stand on some paved parking lot mid August then go wander into some trees. Notice a difference? Man vs no Man. I don't have a solution and in fact believe we will just carry on shitting in our own nest. Mine and my wife's life cycle will be over in about 40 years with no kids so We are hoping things hold out until then. No doubt we will see a lot of extinction and change by then. Hope my Florida house lasts that long.

• Like 2

Trees vs. pavement. Pavement absorbs more light because of black color. Trees reflect some (green) but most of the heat is used to evaporate water and power chlorophyll, the rest is dumped into the environment. It's always cooler in the shade even under a tin roof.

4 hours ago, IZRL said:

Things just got real. WWIII has already begun. They just haven't officially reported it yet. Telling you guys, the Biden Administration is throwing a Hail Mary. I'll be surprised if we even have a country to have an election in come November.

We as Americans have been so fortunate not to have ever been directly affected by war on our own soil. We have been so spoiled. Which is why many Americans talk about war like it ain't nothin but a chicken wang...

Continental America is in a unique position for it's current world domination. It has people and resources and easily defended to north and south. An enemy would have a nightmare maintaining logistical supply lines across the Pacific or Atlantic for an invasion fleet. Add to that they have complete control of the world's oceans to begin with and mastery of the skies, cutting edge technology and protection pacts with other countries.

Though it didn't affect the average continental American directly, it has been invaded and occupied by a foreign enemy in the recent past.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Trees vs. pavement. Pavement absorbs more light because of black color. Trees reflect some (green) but most of the heat is used to evaporate water and power chlorophyll, the rest is dumped into the environment. It's always cooler in the shade even under a tin roof.

Continental America is in a unique position for it's current world domination. It has people and resources and easily defended to north and south. An enemy would have a nightmare maintaining logistical supply lines across the Pacific or Atlantic for an invasion fleet. Add to that they have complete control of the world's oceans to begin with and mastery of the skies, cutting edge technology and protection pacts with other countries.

Though it didn't affect the average continental American directly, it has been invaded and occupied by a foreign enemy in the recent past.

12 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

"Or discover that a Kansas sized meteor is headed straight for earth" There have been several experiments looking to deal exactly with that in fact. 1. is the tracking of various objects in space to give enough time to mount a response 2. others have been involved in landing various craft on asteroids etc and determining their composition and 3. how hard it is to move them, as you only need a very fine change in vector to miss a planet. 

https://www.nasa.gov/news-release/nasa-confirms-dart-mission-impact-changed-asteroids-motion-in-space/

A consistent trait of people who gravitate to wildly paranoid conspiracies, objective critical thinking is not in their tool belt. 

Some may be wishful thinking. End of the world makes everyone equal and elevates the looser in mom's basement to normal status.

It's in out nature to explore so space exploration is fine with me. We haven't been to the moon since the '70s and even then it was only to gain a propaganda coup over Russia. There was never any long range goals. Lots of exploration can be done robotically. What we need is a really large spinning 2001 space station. Lack of gravity is a big problem. 

• Like 1

Propaganda coup over Russia? Carful Mike, you'll start another round of flat Earth conspiracy deniers saying the moon landing was faked with Kubrick's help.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You're wrong there on the tin roof. I have one covering my patio. It's hotter under that than in the sun. I've seen it 118 degrees on a hot day under the patio. I need to paint it white on the sunny side.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, IZRL said:

....Not to have ever been directly affected by war on our own soil/

The war of 1812 / The White House is white because the British burned it and we painted it white o cover the scorch marks / the civil war / the Indian wars / Attu and Kiska during WW2 / The shelling of the WestCoast by Japanese submarines in WW2 /  The incendiary balloons from Japan in WW2 / Shall I go on ?

• Like 1
Just now, MikeRL411 said:

The war of 1812 / The White House is white because the British burned it and we painted it white o cover the scorch marks / the civil war / the Indian wars / Attu and Kiska during WW2 / The shelling of the WestCoast by Japanese submarines in WW2 /  The incendiary balloons from Japan in WW2 / Shall I go on ?

Not to forget Pearl Harbor Wake Island  The Philipines and the Marianas! and Guam

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, john510 said:

You're wrong there on the tin roof. I have one covering my patio. It's hotter under that than in the sun. I've seen it 118 degrees on a hot day under the patio. I need to paint it white on the sunny side.

An old boss that raced SCCA, had a full size Suburban in the 80's.  Truck was BLACK, but he painted the roof WHITE................he said it completely changed the interior temp!!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, MikeRL411 said:

Not to forget Pearl Harbor Wake Island  The Philipines and the Marianas! and Guam

You can also add 9\11 to that. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, MikeRL411 said:

I worded that poorly.