7 hours ago, john510 said:

I've never heard of anybody getting a property tax increase after installing solar.

It will in Idaho, in practical terms. At town hall property tax meetings there are many (of those with money) who go on and on, with their fancy math, trying to convince us peasants that increasing assessed home value is not a direct increase in property tax liability. Those who have installed solar confirm, that their assessed property value increased around 10k. All other assessment parameters being equal, comparing property tax liability in the year prior to solar installation to property tax liability the year after solar installation will show an increase. In Idaho, in practical terms your property tax will increase.

• Sad 1
  • Replies 17.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Duncan said:

JIll Biden cooking with gas...

Eg8ms72WoAEo6eE.thumb.jpg.e69a1977d08fbb244d7bd35ac72c03dd.jpg

So, she's not peasant. More than likely, she is taking time away from her grueling schedule to help the undocumented, I mean soon to be documented staff. She embodies the willingness to help non-whites and non-citizens that this country needs to heal. The First Lady is a HERO!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, frankendat said:

You type truth. Energy generation was another one of those rabbit holes I spent a few months of free time trying to understand, only to raise my blood pressure an add another chip to my shoulder. Solar looks great at the  20ft view and not terrible a little closer. Truthfully, it is not a bad deal if you have the upfront cash and you take advantage of all the programs. It is not a great deal, you could break even in a decade, a little bad luck would make it a crap deal. There are good deals to be  had on A123 batteries and making your own powerwall would really curb your electric bill. Battery longevity (they keep telling us keeps getting better, but buying the latest and greatest batteries will submarine your budget and "breaking even" becomes a distant memory). Used A123 batteries 85%-94% remaining life, should  hold for at least a decade, but batteries are fickle, temp and discharge/recharge can lessen effective life dramatically.(bad luck, again)

Selling power to your neighbors direct with your own power cord, would be a method to recoup money. I can think of multiple ordinances that violates without even trying, report it and will require certification and zoning exceptions, will not be cheap. The on the down low option could bring a number of infraction, but the big bitch would be the unreported income tax and whatever power generation/selling taxes you're skipping. Normally, not a huge risk, but that massive force, recently added to the IRS has to do something...

As for Idaho politics, I am glad Idaho is a red state, but when it comes to taking from those with less and giving to those with those with more, Idaho is damned bipartisan. 

Dude, your property tax structure in Idaho is crazy town. 1.29 - 1.57% variable tax rates based on your local assessor's opinion of it's current value? So yes, you instal solar and it's added to the assessment. I would imagine you piss the assessor off and he has the power to screw you. Then different rates for urban vs rural property? 🤪  Well at least your sales tax is 6%. In ass hat Alameda County, our sales tax is the highest in California, 10.75%. 

In Cali, the base property tax rate is 1% of the assessed value, and local taxes are usually about 0.25%. The assessed value of a property is based on the original purchase price. Any increase is based on the state's inflation rate rather than the current value of the property. Unless there's a change in ownership or new construction that increases the foot print of the original dwelling, any increase is limited no more than 2% each year, regardless of inflation.

When I was a contractor, I built out the attic of our home adding 580 sqr ft. I've done extensive remodeling to the kitchen (added a gas stove), bathrooms, electrical upgrades, and replaced all the widows and doors. It increased the value of the house by about 40-50%.  Everything was permitted, so the state knew what was done. After 18 years our assessed property value is still well below the actual value by about the same 40-50%. Had I increased the foot print of the house it would be a very different story.

Learn to play by the rules of the system and you can make out pretty good. If you want to get ahead, learn how to cheat.

• Like 2

I'm really curious on what the taxes are now on the house

we sold in Eureka.We were protected under 13 then,but the

buyers weren't.

You'd think that California would have a lot more money,

with the way houses were selling,as the taxes go way up

versus when they were under Prop 13. 

In Florida we have a homestead exemption. Only on one home if you own more and you can't rent it out. It keeps people from being taxed out of their homes but the next buyer will get bent over. Permits? Fuckem! Well the county uses drones doing fly bys but as long as you don't increase your footprint or try to sneak an outbuilding on your property you are ok.

• Like 2

Where to begin, such interesting times to start the year off...

The airline shutdown due to failure of the NOTAM system (which is basically like twitter with only one contributor and no replies so it should be like 1000000 times easier to maintain and keep up) illustrates how regulation has deleteriously hampered everything.  Checking the NOTAMS before launching isn't inherently dangerous, any more than not checking pulse point for road accidents is for driving.  True, it's nice to have an indication of possible enroute problems, but that could be monitored on the fly by radio, like they did back when super connies and DC-6s plied the skies.  Forcing everyone to rely on an outdated system that got overlooked because it took a back seat to a woke agenda pretty much illustrates what el Rushbo so aptly called "symbolism over substance."  

There was enough pushback over the gas cookstove  issue that they've had to wind their neck in and pull that agenda.  For now.

Biden's classified document thing... a very plausible line of speculation is that he's being fragged by his own part people, who realize that he's a massive reeking albatross that even the cheat machine can't keep afloat if he runs again.  To be fair, Joe probably doesn't know or care, but Jill doesn't want to lose that first lady gig.

It could be a pyrric victory, as making all of his docs a non-issue will also take the wind out of the sails of the Orange man classified docs as well. 

It's noon, off to catturd's podcast.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, angliagt said:

I'm really curious on what the taxes are now on the house

we sold in Eureka.We were protected under 13 then,but the

buyers weren't.

You'd think that California would have a lot more money,

with the way houses were selling,as the taxes go way up

versus when they were under Prop 13. 

The new buyers are protected under Prop 13 but they're paying property taxes on the purchase price.If the home increases in value by a lot they still only get the 2% increase as the year goes by.One thing people don't really know is that you can reassess when property values decrease.Your taxes can go down.I'm shocked the Democrats haven't found a way to eliminate Prop 13.Maybe they know it would be the end of their reign of terror on the average Californian.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, paradime said:

If you want to get ahead, learn how to cheat.

I  often lament, to the guy on the next barstool, that we should take a portable industrial sandblaster to the plaque at the base of the Statue of Liberty, "give poor tired and hungry....." bullshit. But, then what would replace it? What passage would embody what America has become? 

Your statement is a fine summation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, paradime said:

Learn to play by the rules of the system and you can make out pretty good. If you want to get ahead, learn how to cheat.

"If y'ain't winning, y'ain't cheating hard enough"....................... Henry Yunick

• Haha 1
On 1/11/2023 at 6:51 PM, paradime said:

Dude, your property tax structure in Idaho is crazy town. 1.29 - 1.57% variable tax rates based on your local assessor's opinion of it's current value? So yes, you instal solar and it's added to the assessment. I would imagine you piss the assessor off and he has the power to screw you. Then different rates for urban vs rural property? 🤪  Well at least your sales tax is 6%. In ass hat Alameda County, our sales tax is the highest in California, 10.75%. 

In Cali, the base property tax rate is 1% of the assessed value, and local taxes are usually about 0.25%. The assessed value of a property is based on the original purchase price. Any increase is based on the state's inflation rate rather than the current value of the property. Unless there's a change in ownership or new construction that increases the foot print of the original dwelling, any increase is limited no more than 2% each year, regardless of inflation.

When I was a contractor, I built out the attic of our home adding 580 sqr ft. I've done extensive remodeling to the kitchen (added a gas stove), bathrooms, electrical upgrades, and replaced all the widows and doors. It increased the value of the house by about 40-50%.  Everything was permitted, so the state knew what was done. After 18 years our assessed property value is still well below the actual value by about the same 40-50%. Had I increased the foot print of the house it would be a very different story.

Some massive number of homeowners, in the last decade, have appealed their assessment and that plus the ridiculous amount of building (e.g. 18000 home project is currently in debate) the assessor's office it too slammed to get personal (although never say never) But, knowing human nature and that my house, footprint wise, hasn't changed since, a permitted but not up to current code remodel in the 1950's and aside from new siding, windows, paint in the early 90's, (when I worked for contractor and had access to their product discount); a really nice (to me) covered/open porch (direct replacement of the old covered/open porch) the house is unchanged since 1910-1911. I would bet that the assessor, at most, drives by and multiplies the recorded square footage by the same rate as other houses in the area. 

Which sucks, most recently (construction on the main house stopped yesterday) a house about, straight line 100 yards from mine. (Two houses over, two houses down (average lot size under .19 acre). Property sold before construction finished, not listed, estimated selling price 2 million. Actual assessed value will not post for sometime due to assessor backlog. (The square footage of the detached garage with apartment above (ADU) exceeds the livable square footage of my home).

I say it often, but it beats into my mind everyday (there has been unending construction for so long it is normal) People are flooding into my neighborhood, my city, my county, my State, even my country and working to force me to leave. Not forcing me to share or too accommodate, which I don't like, but I'll own my grumpy old man. Forcing me to leave by using a imaginary number, based solely on the possibility that someone with more wealth might covet my home and if that wealthy person purchased my home, the value is based on how much would that wealthy person might pay.

It is wrong. The arguments for it are baseless.

What if the same system applied to Datsuns. Datsuns are increasing in value. I even had someone offer twice what I paid for the non operational Datsun in my back yard. Sales tax is based on value, what if registration fees and insurance were based on assessed value. Someone in your State sells a 620 for $15000, soon registration fees and insurance are now based on a $15000 value. The value and registration and insurance keep going up. How long before you can't register or insure it. You could sell it and make $$$$$, but you don't want to sell it. The value of all vehicles has gone up, you couldn't buy a new one. In fact, you couldn't by a better Datsun or even a Nissan, even if yours sold for over 10X what you originally paid.

The morale of the American story, not everything is for sale, but anything can be taken. Whether it is orderly eviction by uniformed police or bloody street massacres, then story ends the same.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 1/11/2023 at 6:51 PM, paradime said:

My rate is at the 1.57% or whatever is determined is the highest in the State. It is no longer true, but sometime in the last decade, give or take. The running joke was my very drafty house that has plastic gorilla taped to the shower walls was in the most desired section of the most desired neighborhood in the most desired City in the most desired State in the most desired Country in the world. Of course people have been flooding in. They come because it was nice and they'll leave after they make it not nice, or more precisely, not as nice as, the new nice one.

Or as recently said on the show 1923 with Harrison Ford:

Every civilization in this world is built on top of the one they conquered. You go to Rome, or Jerusalem, or Paris, France, and it’s cities stacked on top of towns stacked on top of villages, on top of one man’s house, built on top of one man’s cave.

• Like 2

I used to go to Kalispell,Montana at least once a year,starting in

the early '70's.It used to be a cheap place to live,& fairly laid back.I

went there about 15 years ago,it had been a while since I'd been there.

I was lost - building everywhere,lots more traffic,& it seemed that most

of the main roads had been widened.The North end of it had almost

every fast food place I've heard of,as well as lots of shopping centers.

I asked myself aloud - "Where am I".

I flew into Kalispell about three years ago,to see my Mom when she

passed away.I noticed a lot of executive jets at the airport.

I looked at the real estate listings there last week,& was amazed

at just how many Million dollar (& multi-Million dollar homes that were for

sale.There's even one  for sale on Flathead Lake on Cromwell Island that's

for sale for $72,000,000 (SEVENTY TWO MILLION!)  that's unfinished on

the inside (includes the island).Guess what? - it was built by a California -

businessman who passed away 6 years ago.

No wonder the older Montanans hate Californians.

Maybe we are just getting old. People keep reproducing then wondering where all the traffic and construction is coming from. I leave Florida for 6 months a year and don't recognize it when I come back. I swear they can build a Wawa or Taco Bell in a week. Most noticable for me is the amount of boat traffic on the water. People complain about gas prices and the economy but you would never know it on the water. 37ft center consoles with 4 400hp outboards seem to make up the bulk of the traffic and most drive with a bottomless beer cup. I don't go out on the weekends because it becomes just nuts. The taxes for me haven't increased much because of the impact fees for building are high so the new folks are footing the bill but it definitely isn't slowing them down. The hurricane is the big reset button. Homes destroyed, no available rental housing due to displaced homeowners and repair crews. No place for tourists to stay so businesses that survived don't have any customers. Kind of a catch 22 so without the revenue we will see what happens this year. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, flyerdan said:

The airline shutdown due to failure of the NOTAM system (which is basically like twitter with only one contributor and no replies so it should be like 1000000 times easier to maintain and keep up) illustrates how regulation has deleteriously hampered everything.  Checking the NOTAMS before launching isn't inherently dangerous, any more than not checking pulse point for road accidents is for driving.  True, it's nice to have an indication of possible enroute problems, but that could be monitored on the fly by radio, like they did back when super connies and DC-6s plied the skies.  Forcing everyone to rely on an outdated system that got overlooked because it took a back seat to a woke agenda pretty much illustrates what el Rushbo so aptly called "symbolism over substance."  

While I agree with most of this statement, I would argue that the NOTAM system can be helpful to smaller privately owned airports. I have had more than one instance where having filed a NOTAM has saved me from potential litigation. I had a pilot land on a runway that was closed because we couldn't get the runway completely cleared of snow. Before he talked to the FAA, I told him that the runway that he had landed on was closed. He hesitated long enough before giving a response that I felt he was thinking of a correct response to my statement. There are smaller airports out there that have no ATC or tower and traffic is the responsibility of the pilots.

17 hours ago, john510 said:

The new buyers are protected under Prop 13 but they're paying property taxes on the purchase price.If the home increases in value by a lot they still only get the 2% increase as the year goes by.One thing people don't really know is that you can reassess when property values decrease.Your taxes can go down.I'm shocked the Democrats haven't found a way to eliminate Prop 13.Maybe they know it would be the end of their reign of terror on the average Californian.

Yes, in California you can reduce taxes in case of disaster etc. BUT your taxes resume as soon as the ""disaster" is cleared!