Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Skib said:

lol compared to what? Portland these days? 

Last time I was there, every inch reeked of piss.

I was navigating around tents and people just to walk down the street.

And I didn't go anywhere without a holster on, SF doesn't recognized any conceal carry but they can suck it.

and I was in the "nicer" parts of tourist SF. 

Its a shit hole and it can get fucked. so can everyone there.

Compared to when I was there in 2019, it was much worse then. And yeah, compared to Portland which is a total shit hole. I always think of Portland as Jr. SF. But it's probably taking the trophy these days.

I was in SF for 4 days. I honestly didn't see many tents? I was expecting them. There were homeless people here and there. Smell of piss, yes. I was expecting it to be worse than ever before. Perhaps election season forced them to relocated.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, angliagt said:

Was that while you were under SF bay?

I'm an honest critic. I was expecting it to be bad, really bad. We were all over the city. Quite possible we successfully navigated around it, or there was an effort to relocate. SF putting in effort though...  skeptical. I fully realize I'm not a local. Problems like this just don't vanish. I'm sure it's there. I promise I was walking around with my eyes open. lol

When I was there in 2019, shit on the streets. Piss, tents, stepping over drugged out zombies.

• Sad 1
14 minutes ago, Draker said:

I'm an honest critic. I was expecting it to be bad, really bad. We were all over the city. Quite possible we successfully navigated around it, or there was an effort to relocate. SF putting in effort though...  skeptical. I fully realize I'm not a local. Problems like this just don't vanish. I'm sure it's there. I promise I was walking around with my eyes open. lol

When I was there in 2019, shit on the streets. Piss, tents, stepping over drugged out zombies.

Before I retired, I used to attend trade shows in SF.  I'd ask the hotel clerk where there were places to eat within walking distance.  More than once, directions were given to walk down a certain number of blocks, then go go around the next few blocks, then detour back to the original street just to avoid some particularly bad sections of the neighborhood.  This was about 15-ish years ago right in downtown. I remember seeing some poor homeless druggie who had tan pants on, and he had clearly just shit himself.  There's no politician that can tell me that the cause of this is unaffordable housing.. It might be a small percentage, but clearly drugs and mental illness is running rampant.

LA and (now) Orange County have tents all over the place.  All of the big cities have gone to shit. 

As I understand it, residents who have to park on the street are leaving their doors unlocked in the hope that criminals criminals won't break their windows when they ransack the cars. 

Almost any effort (no matter how small) to improve conditions is a step in the right directions, IMHO.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 3

I left California in 95. I wanted to do a long dramatic burnout leaving but Lifted 720s don't do a dramatic burn outs. Flash forward 15 years and the Wifes best friend was getting married in SF. I tried to weasel out but no winning on that one. Wife reserved a B&B on Haight street to try to get a real hippie vibe. She got more than she bargained for as far as vibes go and I could only say " I told you". The wedding party was made up of scientists so they named the human shit all over the streets  "Urban Scat". Thankfully after that experience I don't think you could force her to go back. The one thing I do miss about Cal is the Mexican roach coaches. I have never had a better burrito than the old tacos jalisco wagon in Vallejo.

• Like 4

I grew up in San Diego, one of the cleanest cities in the country. Lived in a small hippie town in NY state for a few years and moved to SF in '88 to go to art school. My first apartment there was in the Height Ashbury district and I'll admit it was a shock. SF was dirty and run down, shit load of homeless junkies wondering downtown right next to the swankiest Union Square hotels. It was kind of a hip dystopian funky back then. After the '89 earthquake it got much better though. The uptight posers left and the city came together like nothing I've ever seen. When things started ramping back up the creative energy in that place was like being on another planet. Music/art scene was on fire, tons of festivals, street shows, night clubs, insane food, and it was CHEEP to live there. That's where I met my wife and we had the time of our lives in that dirty old run down city.

Golden Gate Park, Nov. 1989

IMG_3491.jpg

Talk shit all you want, but I know just how cool that place actually was when other's say it was at it's worst.

Edited by paradime
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, paradime said:

I grew up in San Diego, one of the cleanest cities in the country. Lived in a small hippie town in NY state for a few years and moved to SF in '88 to go to art school. My first apartment there was in the Height Ashbury district and I'll admit it was a shock. SF was dirty and run down, shit load of homeless junkies wondering downtown right next to the swankiest Union Square hotels. It was kind of a hip dystopian funky back then. After the '89 earthquake it got much better though. The uptight posers left and the city came together like nothing I've ever seen. When things started ramping back up the creative energy in that place was like being on another planet. Music/art scene was on fire, tons of festivals, street shows, night clubs, insane food, and it was CHEEP to live there. That's where I met my wife and we had the time of our lives in that dirty old run down city.

Golden Gate Park, Nov. 1989

Talk shit all you want, but I know just how cool that place actually was when other's say it was at it's worst.

Its been 35 years.... it may have been cool then. its literal shit now. 

Portland was awesome 10 years ago.... and its shit now too.

Lefty policy has done great. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

When I raced at PIR in the early '80's,I really enjoyed seeing

different parts of the city,& the Sunday Oregonian was a really good

paper.

Is Mars restaurant still there,across  the freeway from PIR ?

They had a "Birds Nest" on the menu that was great.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, angliagt said:

When I raced at PIR in the early '80's,I really enjoyed seeing

different parts of the city,& the Sunday Oregonian was a really good

paper.

Is Mars restaurant still there,across  the freeway from PIR ?

They had a "Birds Nest" on the menu that was great.

It wasn't even that long ago PDX was an awesome place to hang out anywhere, any time, with anyone you came across really lol

.... very not the case anymore.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I was in downtown Portland 2 weeks ago. Lines of tents. Boarded up windows. I saw someone with an open flame camp fire, inside a 4 person tent. Just an absolute dump.

Don’t worry.. they’re going to fire up the homeless person tax revenue machine, complete with six figure salaries and no end in sight. All in the name of progress!

Look at the budget allocated in LA to combat homelessness. It’s working as intended. Homelessness is good business, if you’re the government.

• Like 3

Seriously.  The amount spent per homeless person "fighting" homelessness is ridiculous.  Fire all the bureaucracy and give the money straight to the homeless so they can either situate themselves or OD asap and be done with it.  Or, if you really want to help them, put them all into a camp away from the rest of civilization who are tired of their crap.  There is zero reason they should be living in primo real estate ruining cities and making things miserable for the people actually trying.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, bottomwatcher said:

The "other" Portland has the same problem. Imagine the homeless moving,in tearing up your neighborhood and stealing your shit then you have to pay for it.

https://wgme.com/news/local/portland-residents-share-mixed-emotions-on-rise-in-taxes-to-help-asylum-seekers-homeless

Progressives get what they vote for and then hate it but rather than admit they were wrong they just move to a red area and start voting blue again. No doubt there's always cheating in elections but some people are legit voting for this crap and their numbers seem to be rising. 

• Like 4
17 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Was this where the armfart serenade occurred?

Similar timeframe but that serenade was in Washington Square Park in North Beach. I've included that performance in my new book on modern wooing titled, How To Win A Girl in 5 easy steps. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Hey baby, sniff my hand.

Classic woo faux pa. Did Jimmy Page ask girls to sniff his guitar, or did he play it forth? Armpit guitar, it's all the same to girls. They loves a man with talent.  

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Skib said:

Its been 35 years.... it may have been cool then. its literal shit now. 

Portland was awesome 10 years ago.... and its shit now too.

Lefty policy has done great. 

We moved out of SF in 2004, about 12 mils East. We're in SF all the time and I've never seen that place as clean as it is now. Perfect no, but sure as hell not what's being described here. It's no longer the cool SF of my gen, but for the computer nerd hipsters living there now it's cooler than we'll ever know. 

For an old fart who can't stand liberals, I would imagine SF would be nothing but a shit hole.

If we're using homelessness as a rhetorical device to shame, it might help to view it through amore objective perspective.

According to US Department of Housing and Urban Development 

US cities with most homeless people, 2019 data

New York City (NY)
Los Angeles, City & County (CA)
Seattle with King County (WA)
San Jose & Santa Clara (CA)
San Diego, City & County (CA)
San Francisco (CA) 
Oakland & Berkeley (CA)
Santa Ana & Anaheim (CA)
Phoenix & Mesa (AZ)
Washington (DC)

Update: 2022 there were 7,754 homeless in San Francisco. 4,571 were living in shelters, and 3183 were living rough on the street. 

City (State)
Homeless people
per 100,000 residents*
Rise / Fallbetween
2014-2018
Eugene (OR)
-12.4%
Los Angeles (CA)
+37.4%
New York City (NY)
+16.9%
San Jose (CA)
-6.5%
Seattle (WA)
+23.0%
Anchorage (AK)
+6.6%
Las Vegas (NV)
-24.8%
San Francisco (CA)
+12.1%
Savannah (GA)
-26.9%
San Diego (CA)
-2.0%
Reno-Sparks (NV)
+45.3%
Vallejo (CA)
-16.2%
Amarillo (TX)
+44.6%
Tallahassee (FL)
+10.0%
Napa (CA)
+13.9%
Stockton (CA)
+0.3%
Spokane (WA)
+1.9%
Fresno (CA)
-20.0%
Colorado Springs (CO)
+18.2%
Visalia (CA)
+23.9%
Denver (CO)
-24.6%
Battle Creek (MI)
-16.7%
Topeka (KS)
-1.4%
St Joseph (MO)
+2.6%
Sacramento (CA)
+41.0%
Albuquerque (NM)
+5.6%
Boston (MA)
+0.5%
Springfield (IL)
+2.7%
Minneapolis / St Paul (MN)
+68.7%
Tulsa (OK)
+4.7%
Manchester (NH)
+2.8%
Columbus (OH)
+6.4%

2018 data

Note: Portland didn't even make the list, but they're liberal so.... Shit Hole!  

• Like 1