Project "MX520" TOP SECRET

Bob3

I found a "parts truck" a few weeks ago in Nebraska. It has a nice straight hood!

So....did you get the whole truck? Or did you walk away with just the hood?

I met some guys from Denver at the Colfax Cruise and they were talking about wanting a Datsun...lmk if you are gonna be selling one of yours Bob.:cool:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont meen to sound condecending or anything but why soft line? why not run hard line with little bits of softline connecting it is there any particular reason you did this is it temporary just to get it drivable?

They are hard lines to the back of the cab. Then soft from there.

I found a "parts truck" a few weeks ago in Nebraska. It has a nice straight hood!

So....did you get the whole truck? Or did you walk away with just the hood?

I met some guys from Denver at the Colfax Cruise and they were talking about wanting a Datsun...lmk if you are gonna be selling one of yours Bob.:cool:

I will let you know. I'm going to get rid of it in mid October. I am keeping all of the glass, the doors and the dash etc. When I've taken all I want I will give the rest of the truck away. I'll let you know when the time comes.

WE WON IT ! ! !

We won the SCCA 2009 National Championship Runoffs at Road America!

I must say thanks to Honda Racing HPD and BFG Tires! With out them this would have never happened!

My wife Kim going on the victory lap!

Wewonit3.jpg

I had my family there. from the left; Tommy, Me, Kim & Bobby

WEWONIT.jpg

It is not sinking in yet that we did it!

Wewonit2.jpg

Bob

Congratulations on your win. Too bad T3 is on the ropes for participation.

Maybe with all your driving and fabrication skills we can convince you to come race a Datsun/Nissan in GTL. I know of a sweet tube frame B13 Sentra for sale for $10K with spares. Our you can go "classsic" and do a 510. I think we had the only Datsun 1200 or 510 in the 600+ cars that raced.

Not only did Bob win, but he did it with a repaired car having less than 1 lap of testing before the race start. Excellent racecraft and nerves of steel by my judgement. Maybe Bob needs to race someplace other than GTL :D

Dave Patten

19th GTL, 2009 Runoffs (Yes, in the old beater in my avitar)

Below are comments by the top three finishers in Bob's race.

Pulled off SCCA.com

Notes

Race Quotes: Touring 3

Bob Boileau

Congrats on the win to you and your family. I can tell it was DEFINATLY a family effort. You all deserve it.

NO GET YOUR @$$ BACK ON THE 520!!!!! :D:D

Dave, Thanks for the racers comments posted above. Gives a little better insight on how Bob's day went.

• 3 weeks later...

OK - OK - OK . . . . .

I'm now on a mission to DRIVE this damn thing! I hope to have the MX520 running by Sunday.:eek:

btw . . . check out my 15 year old son Tommy in his first Indy Car Test!:thumbsup:

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

TommyIndyCar.jpg

I'll be back with MX520 updates this weekend ! ! ! Stay tuned .

Edited by fisch
The harness is EASY! I have two complete Miata harnesses. I have two so I can lengthen things where necessary. What is going to take a little time is the fuel & brake lines. We'll get there!:D

HOLY CRAP WAS I WRONG!

BONVO - You were right! I have changed the harness twice, checked, checked and checked again. I don't know where the short is.:cursing::cursing::cursing:

I have power to everything. The dash lights up. The solenoid clicks with the ignition. The starter spins the engine if you jump it with a screw driver. All systems seem to be good.

BUT :cursing::cursing::cursing:

It won't turn over with the key!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm going to have a beer and watch the NASCAR race!

Edited by Bob3

Without going back and reading the entire thread again, the first thing that comes to mind is a 40 year old datsun ignition switch. But i am betting that you are using the miata ignition switch. So, maybe the short is not in the harness, but rather a bad switch or maybe a bad/missing relay?

Just a couple thoughts, hope they help.:D

Keep up the excellent work Bob.

Are you missing the grounds to the clutch safety switch or the neutral safety switch? The first gets it's ground from the left side of the dash.....the 2nd from behind the right headlight. ......if I'm looking at the correct schematic :)

Ok - here's the deal.

There are NO Datsun wires in this project. It is 100% 1990 Mazda Miata.

There are 4 harnesses in the truck.

1- Main harness

This one goes from L/F headlight back through the firewall across to the pass side of the firewall and to the R/F headlight. Along the way it plugs into the ECU, mass-air-flow, coil packs, etc. . .

2- Battery harness

This one goes from the battery to the starter & alternator and it ends at the main fuse box. The Main harness (#1) plugs into this main fuse box.

3- Rear harness

This one plugs into the Main harness on the left side. It goes through the floor and back to the fuel tank (pump & gauge) and to the tail lights.

4- Dash harness

First of all the Miatas run fine with this one removed. We have removed the dashes from several Miatas for racing and the cars run fine with no dash harness. This one is just what it says, it powers the dash / gauges.

I have installed three new ground straps. #1 from the head to the body, #2 from the block to the frame, #3 from the body to the frame.

To narrow it down, #3 & #4 appear to be fine and if unplugged the engine should still turn over. I have replaced #1 twice. So #2? This one is so basic. The power is going everywhere it is supposed to. I need to check the small wire that goes to the starter. If that checks good I'm going to let the truck down on my head and put myself out of my misery!:(