Project "MX520" TOP SECRET

Bob3

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Bob, are you going to be able to use the stock Miata carpet kit? What are your plans for the dash?

The stock Miata carpet won't work because I shortened the tunnel 5". I don't plan on runnung any carpet. You know, it's built to be a track truck! I'm going to install some aluminum diamond plate. That is what we do on the floors of the spec miata race cars.

The dash is one of my next projects. I hope to fit the 520 dash in with a few miata touches.

I took it out for a bath today.

MX5208-155-09001.jpg

MX5208-155-09003.jpg

MX5208-155-09004.jpg

MX5208-155-09006.jpg

MX5208-155-09005.jpg

Heck yeah!:D

Great lookin stance too...you were saying it is gonna be even lower when you get the race stuff in it...is it gonna be a lot stiffer too? This thing is gonna be so much fun to drive...:cool:

Great lookin truck Bob. Well done man:)

Thanks guys! :)

Bart, I'm thinking about taking it to work with me on Sunday, on a trailer of course. What do you think? Let the boys at the VW show see it. :lol::eek:

I'm thinking about taking it to work with me on Sunday, on a trailer of course. What do you think? Let the boys at the VW show see it. :lol::eek:

YES!!!!!!!!!!:D

As a recovering VW guy myself I can say that would be freegin sweet!:cool:

Seriously Bob...they would be all over that thing like white on rice.

integra wheels? :cool:

Yes, good eye!;) I was fitting some front wheel drive wheels to see how that off-set looked. They are only 14" wheels, I plan to run 15" or 16". I will cross that bridge when I get to it. One thing at a time . . . one thing at a time.

what class will this truck be forced into racing in? :D

I plan to run it in NASA. Most likely PT-F, I think, it is based in power to weight.

When I first take it out I'll run in TT ( time trials ).

im sure they would love to see the truck, i know i cant wait to see it. :D

About what time are you going to be free of you GM job on sunday? Caitlin has to work the next morning and wants to get home pretty early but i really want to come by the shop after the show.

YES!!!!!!!!!!:D

As a recovering VW guy myself I can say that would be freegin sweet!:cool:

Seriously Bob...they would be all over that thing like white on rice.

OK - I'm meeting Bart (Madness) in the morning and we are taking the MX520 to it's first car show! It is a VW / Audi show but it is at work and I do need to stop by and check on my boys!:lol:

Here are some shots from today and what it is looking like:

MX5208-22-09009.jpg

MX5208-22-09010.jpg

MX5208-22-09016.jpg

MX5208-22-09021.jpg

I'm sure Madness and I will get some pics tomorrow.:D

Amazing build, the whole time I've been reading this I've been wondering if an S13-S15 or R32 subframe swap into a 720 is doable the same as what you've done.

About the wheels, iirc MX5/Miatas run FWD offset anyway, I was chasing a set of NB 1.6 roundspokes for my baby Mazda for ages. Early Protege wheels, 4 stud, will bolt on no issues, base spec MX5s ran Protege steelies in UK and Japan.

Amazing build, the whole time I've been reading this I've been wondering if an S13-S15 or R32 subframe swap into a 720 is doable the same as what you've done.

About the wheels, iirc MX5/Miatas run FWD offset anyway, I was chasing a set of NB 1.6 roundspokes for my baby Mazda for ages. Early Protege wheels, 4 stud, will bolt on no issues, base spec MX5s ran Protege steelies in UK and Japan.

Thanks for the info. That's good to know.:thumbup:

For those who cant see this truck in person.... you're truly missing out :D

which reminds me, what do you think about canby next year? (i was meaning to ask you all day) oh and the topper made it all the way home with only minimal wiggling :thumbup:

For those who cant see this truck in person.... you're truly missing out :D

which reminds me, what do you think about canby next year? (i was meaning to ask you all day) oh and the topper made it all the way home with only minimal wiggling :thumbup:

I wanted to do Canby this year, but the new job and boys racing took up all of my time. I ran out of time to do two things, (1) finish the MX520 and (2) go to Canby! We should try to team up for the trip next year. I'm glad the topper made it home. It looks very cool on your Yota.

It was great seeing you guys. We can't wait so long for the next visit.