Project "MX520" TOP SECRET

Bob3

You and your buddy do some very fine work, you guys are even safe too, cudos.

That fender repair is actually the most impressive to me although the entire project screams quality.

I look forward to seeing more.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is way beyond 'hobby level' work. Amazing!

btw, I think you've got more square footage in your shop than I have in my house. And it's cleaner, too. :blink:

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the correlation between a spotless work area, good lighting, patience and forethought and incredible rigs?

If only cleaning my workbench would magically gift me with this sort of quality of work...:rolleyes:

This is way beyond 'hobby level' work. Amazing!

btw, I think you've got more square footage in your shop than I have in my house. And it's cleaner, too. :blink:

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the correlation between a spotless work area, good lighting, patience and forethought and incredible rigs?

If only cleaning my workbench would magically gift me with this sort of quality of work...:rolleyes:

Not to mention taking an entire subframe and grafting it onto a different vehicle...takes some of the guesswork out of it :D Still very nice work, regardless.

What are the open spots behind the shock towers for?

What are the open spots behind the shock towers for?

I will finish that off once the firewall is in. I worked on the floor/tunnel tonight. It took a while to fab the area for the hand brake. Once I attach the floor, I'll tackle the firewall. Then I'll finish up that little area at the back of the shock towers. I don't know how much of the old firewall I'm going to keep, so I left that area open.

Yeah boy! That looks great Bob! I took my truck out for a spin today...it is such nice weather! I was thinking that a trip down to your place will be in order very soon.:D

I have a buddy that has a 1975 620 for 500 bucks if you are interested...not a kingcab though...pretty straight body, L20, 4 speed, drums...lmk if you are interested:cool:

You are doing great work man, look forward to seeing it in person again!

Happy new year to you Bob:)

I'd really like to come down and see the truck in person again. Maybe not this weekend but possibly next?

I was actually in your area in the last couple of weeks installing counter tops in black forest. Drove right past your house.

Edited by Madness
denveratsun: Yeah boy! That looks great Bob! I took my truck out for a spin today...it is such nice weather! I was thinking that a trip down to your place will be in order very soon.

Madness: I'd really like to come down and see the truck in person again. Maybe not this weekend but possibly next?

I was actually in your area in the last couple of weeks installing counter tops in black forest. Drove right past your house.

Come on down boys! I'll be out there all weekend. Madness, if the lights are on - stop in!

Hey Bob, Your a rock star. I was watching speed last night and there you were. I missed the first part of your race. But I did get to see the best part. The finish. Nice driving. :D

datrod: Hey Bob, Your a rock star. I was watching speed last night and there you were. I missed the first part of your race. But I did get to see the best part. The finish. Nice driving.

Thanks datrod, I'm glad you enjoyed the race.:thumbup:

Here are a few pics from today -

I decided to remove the "lip" in the firewall just below the VIN plate where the pinch weld dips down to gain some room.

MX52012-28-08008.jpg

MX5201-3-09002.jpg

MX5201-3-09004.jpg

MX5201-3-09005.jpg

MX5201-3-09007.jpg

MX5201-3-09008.jpg

MX5201-3-09009.jpg

Then I got CRAZY cutting out what little was left of the OEM firewall -:eek:

MX5201-3-09010.jpg

MX5201-3-09011.jpg

MX5201-3-09012.jpg

i cant wait to see this project completed man this thing is a thing of beauty leave the 1300 badges on it lol is the miata lug pattern the same as our old dattos? if so i have a set of stock steel wheels i could send you that you could use when not on the track a total sleeper look :D

I love the project!

I do have a question:

You mentioned the monster truck would be lowered by 3"

mx52012-8-08013.jpg

From the pictures is seems that you determined the front and rear subframe heights based on engine and driveline height relative to the transmission tunnel and not having to cut too much frame to locate the Miata subframes.

If you lower it 3" won't you run into the roll center and bump steer issues common with lowered street cars? Would it have been better for a track toy to chop some more sheet metal and frame to allow the subframes to sit higher to preserve factory geometry and wheel travel while lowering the static ride height to a level expected of a track car?

Since you obviously know how to set up a Miata for the track I'm sure you have it worked out already. I look forward to seeing how the truck looks and goes lowered!

Umai Kakudo - Thanks for the question. The Miata subframes are mounted .5" lower than the 520 frame. I plan to run the Miata subframes @ 4.5" clearance. This will make the 520 frame-rails 5" off the ground.

If you lower it 3" won't you run into the roll center and bump steer issues common with lowered street cars? Would it have been better for a track toy to chop some more sheet metal and frame to allow the subframes to sit higher to preserve factory geometry and wheel travel while lowering the static ride height to a level expected of a track car?

I will be running the Miata subframes exactly in the middle of their "race" recomended ride height ( 4" to 5" ). There will be no geometry problems.

Great question though!

Umai Kakudo - Thanks for the question. The Miata subframes are mounted .5" lower than the 520 frame. I plan to run the Miata subframes @ 4.5" clearance. This will make the 520 frame-rails 5" off the ground.

I will be running the Miata subframes exactly in the middle of their "race" recomended ride height ( 4" to 5" ). There will be no geometry problems.

Great question though!

Hey Bob, If your not going to use that kirky seat you have back there in the pile. I'll put it to good use. P.M. me if you want to sell it.

Nice answer for Umai. That was a good question, and an even better answer.