Project "MX520" TOP SECRET

Bob3

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MX52010-27-09031.jpg[/img]

Ah hell yeah man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::D

Thats all I needed to see Bob...Sorry I missed your call this morning....I just need to get my Datsun az down there and check it out for myself....maybe take a hot lap in my truck too eh?

Well...it would be like a barely warm lap.:blink:

Tepid maybe...:D

Just a bit above room temperature.:rolleyes:

YYYYEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

I've been waiting to see that for so long!

how good does that feel???!!!

looks like it handles like a champ- biiiig smile watching that burnout!!

again- great work!!!

i wanna drive.:D

Oh Man! I really wish I could have been there!! 8 seconds at a time isn't enough! We need an in... truck cam.

:eek:

Hopefully this winter we're going to have an indoor bbq here at the shop, we would all love it if you brought it by :D

Holy Cow is that sweet Bob!!!!! That's so amazing! I want to thank you for taking the time to post all the pics and write up to bring us along with you on this adventure!!!! Thank You!!!!

Thanks Mike. It has been my pleasure. This is one great bunch of people here on Ratsun! I love this site and all of you guys!:D

Here are a few more pics from today. . .

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

I think you should of put another thick coat of paint stripper on the doors before you made those laps, it might have saved some scrapin.:lol:

Looks really fun.

x2 Jester's questions.

Thank you for the enjoyment of a great build.

I think you should of put another thick coat of paint stripper on the doors before you made those laps, it might have saved some scrapin.:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Bob, How great to see to see a plan come together!! We were all on this ride with you man!

So, what was the reaction in the pits? How did the truck do up against other cars? What is your opinion of the first shake down?

My son Tommy and I pulled into the infield with the MX520 in tow. It was a beautiful day with temperatures in the 60's. There were several race cars and street cars already there when we arrived for the open lapping day. As we made our way through the paddock and past the garages, we got some funny looks. We chose a garage and unloaded. The guys in the spot next to us had a BMW and a Mazda RX7. There were five guys sharing the driving duties of the these two cars. One looked over at us and said to Tommy "are you going to track that?" Tommy said "yes, we just finished it up last night". He replied "what is that thing?". Tommy said "it's a 1966 Datsun MX520, it's very rare." The guy went back over to his buddys to give them the report on their new neighbor.

We torqued the wheels and set tire pressures and took to the track. As I went out I was thinking, I'll get it up into 4th gear and see what it feels like. WOW - It feels pretty good. As I started lap two I saw my new garage neighbor in the RX7 just ahead of me. I blew past him and then passed two more cars in the next few laps. Boy this thing is fun I thought. I better go in to give it a look over and see if any thing is leaking or falling off. Everything was great. We checked pressures and went out for a 10 lap run and passed several cars. This time when I came back into the garage we had an audience!:D They all had to know "what is that thing?":confused::blush::unsure::lol::lol::lol:

By days end we were the talk of the paddock. There were about 15 to 20 cars there and we were third quick. One guy was just cracked that I was 2.5 seconds faster than him in his Z06 Corvette!:thumbsup: This is why I built this truck, to go out and do just that!:thumbup:

The bad news for all of these guys, is this was our shake down run. It's only going to get better!:w00t:

Thanks to all of my Ratsun brothers for the support!

This video is even worse than the first two, but a few seconds longer. Keep the faith, I should get my hands on good stuff including an "in car?" - "in truck" video on Monday.

th_MX52010-27-09032blury.jpg

That is great Bob, Third fastest on shake down runs!:cool: Not to mention being faster than a 06 vette.:eek::lol::lol::lol:

If that is the case I'll put money on the MX520 and you against any Boxster on the track. I have seen the boxster run and granted the drivers were amatures but the boxster just could not keep up.

Do you come to Phoenix to race?

as i was reading that i started giggling so hard i got a tear in my eye.............nice job truck looks sweet

Me too...I just sat there reading with that weird little kid look on my face...waiting to hear the end and to see what happens!:eek:

Seriously funny man! so Bob...what are your thoughts on HP output? Are you going to do anymore under the hood? How does it feel in hard corners?

Man I am so excited for you Bob!:cool:

Sounds great...way better than the car that rolls out of the corner after you.

it is also very photogenic I might add. :D

What an awesome recap!! I felt like I was right there watching the guy walk back to his buddies trying to keep his composure to tell them it's some kind of "rare" MX520. :D Then to be right there sitting on his dash like a fly as he gets his ass handed to him on lap 2. Oh, to see his face and the faces of his buddies when you fired past. :lol::lol:

I can only imagine the thought of the owner of the Z06 as you passed him.

Don't paint it!! Not even the doors! JUST LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!

Thanks Bob, You and Tommy made my day.

I agree man...can't wait to see the sweet, freshly painted, green, badaz, sleeper, "oh...you drive a Vette...? Thats cute!" truck that Bob built!:lol:

See you soon...now it's fully ON man...I will come down in the next couple weeks and check it face to grill...:cool:

I got a look at the in-car footage today. It's pretty cool. My buddy Craig is going to try and get it up tonight! :D

What you do with Craig in your car is you business Bob...but I must say I really hope you decide to call it off...I have met your wife..she is really cool! Plus...no matter what Craig looks like... I mean really?:D