Project "MX520" TOP SECRET

Bob3

I really like the new look. The truck does loose some of the sleeper status with the air dam and rear spoiler, so I think that they should be easily removable so you can really suprise people at times. Perhaps add a splitter to the air dam as well. You can even make it out of the "natural carbon fiber" you used for the bed cover.

An interesting tidbit about the rear spoiler. My family is good friends with the old manager of the Rousch Craftsman Truck team. We were talking one day and he said that the rear spoilers on their trucks did virtually nothing until the truck got sideways. Once the truck was sideways and the spoiler was out in the airflow, it provided downforce. This made it really easy to avoid a spin because the rear would stick more when the truck was sideways.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bob, did you get my pm with the pic?

Yes - That looks cool. I'll pm you. Thanks Rubberman!

I'm going to the track tomorrow to test my new AERODYNAMIC DEVICES! I'll post my findings. What I'm looking for is an increase in top speed at the brake point for turn #3.

I will let you all know how the experiment goes! Myth Busters aint got nothin on me!:rollseyes:

I had a tow vehicle/trailer problem (I could only take one vehicle).:lol: We decided to take the new race car we just got for my son Bobby. I let the boys play and the MX520 sat in the shop at home.:(

I'll try and get it out one day this week.:)

OK . . . here are the results from the speed test today.

First, the top speed from the track day in November was 92 mph, this is our baseline.

92 mph = baseline, NO air dam & NO bed cover

89 mph = with air dam & bed cover & spoiler straight up @ 0 degrees

90.5 mph = with air dam & bed cover & spoiler @ 45 degrees

92 mph = NO air dam, just bed cover, NO spoiler

93 mph = with air dam & bed cover & spoiler @ 75 degrees

95 mph = with air dam & bed cover & NO spoiler

I think I'm going to try it again with an under tray. What do you guys think?

BTW - I did a speed run around the one mile oval and got to 99 mph top speed with a time of 39.5 seconds = 91.14 mph average!

Edited by Bob3
looks like the bed cover is a non factor, an its down to the air damn an spoiler.. altho it looks like the spoilers holdin ya back..

how was the handling compared to before with no bed cover????????

I could tell the spoiler was slowing me down. When I ran without the spoiler and air dam, just the bed cover it felt pretty good, but a little light on it's feet over 85 mph. With the air dam & bed cover it felt planted and stable at speed, better than before with no bed cover.:D

The conclusion to me is that the bed cover is neutral. The rear spoiler generates resistance (does it generate any downforce?). The air dam seems to be the largest difference, the turbulence beneath the car must be pretty fierce ... Any way to get the spoiler down a tad more?

Bob,

Undertrays are a good thing. The more you clean up the underside the better. Also add some rake to the chassis, it will add downforce.

How about trying a simple front undertray (back to the radiator or cross member) and adding a 3" splitter to the front. These will add little to no drag and will add front downforce.

There is a book out by Robert Tarzwell named "Practical Race Car Aerodynamics" available at www.MegaDawn.com.

I have a copy and there are some very simple tricks that can help aerodynamics.

The website's book description:

"A very “hands on” practical handbook on how to improve the aerodynamics of your race car. Almost no math, lots of pictures and usable graphs and charts. Covers sedans and formula cars. Chapters on drag reduction, racecar aerodynamic tuning tunnels, diffusers, wings, splitters and spoilers."

Edited by Dime Dave

Dang Dave...good tips! Nice book too...:cool:

So Bob...looks like there has been some good progress! I am STILL so pumped to come see it soon...:D

Just not today...the temp is hovering near 10 and tomorrow is no better...supposed to drop to below 0 tonight...:eek:

I'm splittin firewood man!:rolleyes:

The wheels I've been running are 15x7 spares for the Miata race car. They stick out about 1" but they do not rub. I want them to be flush to keep the sleeper look. I bought a used set of Honda Fit 15x6 wheels for $150, they have been powder coated black. They sit in about one inch compared to the set I've been running.

OLD Wheel on left rear:

MX52012-7-09009.jpg

NEW wheel on right rear:

MX52012-7-09007.jpg

I ordered a set of Datsun center cap stickers to cover up the "H"

MX52012-7-09018.jpg

MX52012-7-09004.jpg

MX52012-7-09014.jpg

MX52012-7-09005.jpg

I was wondering what you were going to do about the wheels. These should look good with some nice meats on them. They may also increase top speed a little.

I am sure I'm not the only one who would like to see you adapt some steelies to use the stock hubcaps for the ultimate sleeper setup. Maybe even some portawalls for that classic whitewall look...

Neat choice Bob. Look forward to seeing some rubber on them and sitting on the ground!

A friend of mine told me about:

http://www.onlinetires.com

I got 4 Hankook Ventus 195/50/15 tires shipped to my house for under $200.00 total!:thumbsup:

They will be here next week. Then I'll get some pic's up.

I just got back from the PRI show in Orlando. (Performance Racing Industry)

I got to meet Peter Brock, Mr. BRE! It was nice to sit and visit with him. He is very nice and took the time to visit with all kinds of Datsun fans. They had one of his 510's there on display. I'll get some pics up soon

Bob