• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatcat19

• VFR800

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the Edsel. It was perceived as the worst car of a generation. There was a mini recession going on and a lot of belt tightening. Along comes a new car with shitty mileage... and it tanked as word got around. Not like today with the internet. At least it could have been used by Ford to explain or mitigate the perceived damage. Word of mouth was taken as gospel back then. A friend who loves everything Ford explained that the Edsel had a very powerful engine in a heavy car... a 'muscle car' sort of power (don't forget the muscle car era was just beginning) and naturally MPG was very low. If it had been introduced later it may have gotten better reception.

There used to be a joke about a three time looser. That was a pregnant prostitute driving an Edsel with a vote Nixon sticker on the windshield. For those who weren't around, Nixon lost to Kennedy in the early 60s presidential race.

giphy.gif

Honestly, this is the kind of shit that made me stop going to Comic Con. It is no longer about comics, just a bunch of attention whores clogging up the aisles. 

Yes, I am a cranky old man now. Get out of my Con! 

• Like 2