Sounds like a prime establishment for robbery since the police aren't allowed...  :rofl:

It is the right of the coffee shop to refuse service if they feel like it.

However, I suspect this is mostly because most of the customers are made to feel uncomfortable by the police presence...because Oakland, and illegal.

Also just for the extra Lulz, the coffee shop is actually named "Hasta Muerte". :rofl:

• Replies 28k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely, but it's not a choice you make.

Genetic allows a person to store energy as fat deposits during summer and harvest times and get through the winter when there is less food available. This gives them a survival advantage over others to pass on their genetic material. This fat storage would be an advantage in the wild but these genes betray the owner when there is food in abundance all year round

...speaking of not being obese, I know families who grew up eating frozen foods and fast foods, which means that when they were kids that's all they knew. In some cases, u can't blame the individual and studies and studies have shown that sugar and salt is very addictive.

No shirt no shoes no service.... I remember this as a health violation, but refusing service for sexual identity? It's a stretch but if you pose a threat or disruption to the other patrons then yeah you're gone. I suppose refusing police might be covered under this but it could be challenged but who would want to win this argument and go there. Maybe the police could refuse them service when they get robbed????

• Like 1

Being hit by a drunk driver, or abused by an alcoholic, isn't usually a choice either, but nobody ever talks about that...

Was this satire? I think it was, but not sure. People march, talk, yell, legislate, incriminate, etc. constantly.

• Like 1

No shirt no shoes no service.... I remember this as a health violation, but refusing service for sexual identity? It's a stretch but if you pose a threat or disruption to the other patrons then yeah you're gone. I suppose refusing police might be covered under this but it could be challenged but who would want to win this argument and go there. Maybe the police could refuse them service when they get robbed????

In a city near me a Chinese Bank opened.  The city had a sign ordnance and had to approve their proposed signage.  It was all in Chinese, no English.  Asked to add English to the sign, the bank said no, they targeted the local Chinese community and wanted the branch to look like all their branches in China.  The sign commission pointed out the fact that no one on the Fire or Police department spoke or read Chinese and that if help was needed the responder might have to cruise several areas of the city before finding this bank thus really delaying response time.  The signage now sports an English subtitle.

• Like 2

I just asked if illegal or just a naughty pleasure that everyone just accepts as everyday occurrence. It's only interesting when details of a public figure come out? 

No one chooses to be obese... well there may be one or two but generally if you were to ask them they would rather be thinner. There are no spas out there for men women to go to every morning to gain weight. 

What ? if you choose a donut or three instead of choosing a bowl of fruit for breakfast and turn obese it wasn't by choice ? Obviously what you CHOOSE to stuff your face with may affect your weight.

It's great they're locking him up for awhile,the only thing missing that we would all probably love to see is a video of the little bitch crying.

He trolled so hard.. expert level. I admit I got a kick out of that. But I didn't forget he was a dirt bag.

• Like 3

One coffee shop does not represent the city as a whole or even the neighborhood they're in. Go on Yelp and look it up, you'll see what their community thinks of them. 1.2 stars out of 500 plus reviews.

I totally agree it was a stupid move by the co-op owner on many levels. Although the story plays right into the Fox News narrative, it's not as simple as how it's being presented. To put it in some context, the place is on Fruitvale Ave about a mile from the BART station where Oscar Grant was shot in the back while being held down by cops. Over decades of documented corruption and brutality, Oakland police have earned their reputation as a very real threat in that community.

Oakland paid a total of $57 million during the 2001–2011 timeframe to victims of police abuse

Paid Tupac Shakur $42,000 after brutally beating him for jaywalking

City paid $10.9 million to 119 other plaintiffs victimized by OPD

Paid $6.5 million for illegally obtained search warrants based on false or misleading information.

$800,000 settlement where two women were unlawfully strip-searched on a public street

A groups of veteran officers known as the "Riders" made false arrests, planted evidence, used excessive force, and falsified police reports for at least 4 years, so tons of drug cases were dropped because of tainted evidence. The leader of the Riders, Frank Vazquez, fled to Mexico and is still a fugitive from justice. That shit cost Oakland another $11 million settlement in federal civil rights case, and also required them to make major reforms to ensure basic constitutional policing. 9 years later the federal court found they failed to implement the required reforms. OPD has been under federal oversight for years and struggles with a potential federal takeover.

Even then, in 2016 there was a 14 officer sex scandal, involving sex with a teenage girl while she was a minor.

With all that, you might understand why they don't want to serve Oakland cops. 

What ? if you choose a donut or three instead of choosing a bowl of fruit for breakfast and turn obese it wasn't by choice ? Obviously what you CHOOSE to stuff your face with may affect your weight.

I see what you're saying but I was opining that no one chooses to be obese rather than slim. They don't eat doughnuts rather than a salad with the intention of being obese. 

Likely you are being facetious but if not cops have an oath to serve and protect so no.

No, no they don't. Seriously, it went to our Supreme Court.

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

Warren v. District of Columbia%5B1%5D (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981) is an oft-quoted%5B2%5D District of Columbia Court of Appeals case that held that the police do not owe a specific duty to provide police services to citizens based on the public duty doctrine.

Cops don't have to do shit.

No, no they don't. Seriously, it went to our Supreme Court.

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

Warren v. District of Columbia%5B1%5D (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981) is an oft-quoted%5B2%5D District of Columbia Court of Appeals case that held that the police do not owe a specific duty to provide police services to citizens based on the public duty doctrine.

Cops don't have to do shit.

In Los Angeles during the Rodney King riot [it was not a protest] a news channel helicopter documented the mob dragging a white truck driver [who was trying to evacuate a black co worker] out of his truck and try to crush his skull with a cinder block.   A reporter asked the police who were about 2 blocks away and had access to this news feed why they did not try to rescue him.  The reply was that the police forces have NO RESPONSIBILITY TO SAVE ANY INDIVIDUAL they had only to protect the general public safety !  So, when some ditzy idiot tells you you don't need firearms or other weapons to protect you he/she/it is either an idiot or a very uninformed ass hole.  See  the above judicial decree for "justification" for your right to be murdered in the cause of the Brady bunch's misguided appeals.

• Like 1