(INSOMNIACS) balls deep.

So I was a bit of a dickhead today.  We have a girl (driver) who I was going to fire, but she fortunately figured it out and got herself a promotion at her other job.  Clothing retailer, clown shoes.  Anyway, she was all sleep deprived from working there today and even though she was a manipulative little thing, I might have been a little hard on her.  We got on the story of the Hindenburg, and she had no freakin' idea.  And I'm like, seriously, what do people learn in school these days?  (She's 21, somewhere in there) and asked her if she knew what a zeppelin was.  And she guessed the band, and I said, how about a dirigible?  Nope.  How about a blimp?  Ahhh, there we go.  A light of hope.  So then I ask, which is flammable, hydrogen gas or helium?  She guesses helium.  Seriously?  WTF?  Anyway, I made fun of that little mess a little too much and there may have been some crying involved.  I think mainly because she had been at the other job until late at night the night before and literally hadn't gotten any sleep.

I don't know, she manipulated me from the very beginning, which I eventually got wise to, and we started down the "tough-love" come to Jesus path and she just can't cut it.  One of those girls who relied on her looks to get her through school, skating by.  But now she can't do anything for herself, always tries to manipulate people into carrying things, doing things for her.  Every other idea out of her head is how to get out of work.  Aggravating.  So anyway, I feel slightly bad for making her cry today, but at the same time, she has three more days left for her two weeks notice, and the other driver I hired is showing way more promise.  If I was keeping her, I would try to make things right, but since I'm not, I don't see ANY benefit to making her feel better before she leaves, particularly because I've written her up and given her the 60 day eval already outlining what she needed to work on.  I don't mind being a dick for dick's sake, but I can't help but feel a little bad in general sense.  Kind of a hard line to walk, if any of you management types know what I mean.

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smoke

• laotsu

• flatcat19

• q-tip

Top Posters In This Topic

Likely. They literally just carved a road through the jungle with D9 to the back road to my house. Holy Shit this is real right now!!

Had a baby, a hurricane, a 60' tree fall and demolish my greenhouse, now Lava is likely going to cover my house. 2014 is amazing. I really should start a FML thread just based on worthyness. Thank god my marriage is solid, kids are healthy, and my wagon is days away from running.

Nevermind. In the ER waiting room. Daughter might have Meningitis. I seriously fuct over a witch or something. If she gets admitted, I may not get to actually move out. And all my stuff gone. Unlikely at this point. Anyway, the reason I'm on Ratsun right now is for some first hand experience notes with Meningitis. Was it Bacterial or Viral? How long did it last? What did doctors do? Thanks.

So I was a bit of a dickhead today.  We have a girl (driver) who I was going to fire, but she fortunately figured it out and got herself a promotion at her other job.  Clothing retailer, clown shoes.  Anyway, she was all sleep deprived from working there today and even though she was a manipulative little thing, I might have been a little hard on her.  We got on the story of the Hindenburg, and she had no freakin' idea.  And I'm like, seriously, what do people learn in school these days?  (She's 21, somewhere in there) and asked her if she knew what a zeppelin was.  And she guessed the band, and I said, how about a dirigible?  Nope.  How about a blimp?  Ahhh, there we go.  A light of hope.  So then I ask, which is flammable, hydrogen gas or helium?  She guesses helium.  Seriously?  WTF?  Anyway, I made fun of that little mess a little too much and there may have been some crying involved.  I think mainly because she had been at the other job until late at night the night before and literally hadn't gotten any sleep.

I don't know, she manipulated me from the very beginning, which I eventually got wise to, and we started down the "tough-love" come to Jesus path and she just can't cut it.  One of those girls who relied on her looks to get her through school, skating by.  But now she can't do anything for herself, always tries to manipulate people into carrying things, doing things for her.  Every other idea out of her head is how to get out of work.  Aggravating.  So anyway, I feel slightly bad for making her cry today, but at the same time, she has three more days left for her two weeks notice, and the other driver I hired is showing way more promise.  If I was keeping her, I would try to make things right, but since I'm not, I don't see ANY benefit to making her feel better before she leaves, particularly because I've written her up and given her the 60 day eval already outlining what she needed to work on.  I don't mind being a dick for dick's sake, but I can't help but feel a little bad in general sense.  Kind of a hard line to walk, if any of you management types know what I mean.

If you feel bad you should apologize for your sake not hers. Often an apology is cathartic for the apologizer more than the apologizee because it helps you recognize something you have done that you don't agree with. That recognition allows you to identify the problem and work on it. Apologizing also helps your humanity by showing yourself that you are able to be kind to those you may not like and thus treat others with respect.

• Like 1

Nevermind. In the ER waiting room. Daughter might have Meningitis. I seriously fuct over a witch or something. If she gets admitted, I may not get to actually move out. And all my stuff gone. Unlikely at this point. Anyway, the reason I'm on Ratsun right now is for some first hand experience notes with Meningitis. Was it Bacterial or Viral? How long did it last? What did doctors do? Thanks.

I don't usually say I'll pray for someone especially since I don't recognize a specific deity but I hope you come out the other side of your current tests in life.

I'm resilient. I'm also kind of generally the guy who pulls all four teeth at once instead of two or four visits if you know what I mean. But the point of that is to get over it quickly. For that, I pray. Get this over with. Time for blue sky.

If I lose my Datsun, I will not be happy about it.

It can be both, but with your kid, it's probably viral. They will probably give some antibiotics and send her off after they make sure it's not too bad. 

I just have to ask - do you own a Triumph TR8?

- Doug

Generally, that shit is just for me. I pray someone gets it, but generally my little jokes just make me chuckle. Pretty nuts that a phrase spoken once by a side character on one random episode can stick 20 years later.

They won't know if it's viral or bacterial unless they take fluid from a lumbar puncture, which they probably won't do. So they will give antibiotics in case it's bacterial. They are not really supposed to do this, but most still do.

Swab culture. No lumbar Puncture.

I just have to ask - do you own a Triumph TR8?

- Doug

No. I guess that's some silver lining.

Edit: This was almost my dads car when he was younger. I suppose he was wrenching on it when I was a kid. It was a TR6. Pretty different, just as fun. I expect the 8 was just as much a pain in the ass to keep running, thus my previous comment.

So the seventy year old hoarder that live in a two story Victorian by herself next door had a fire. Ten or twelve engines showed up, they started smashing windows and cutting holes in the walls to gain entry. Took em half an hour to get in. She was never found. Her son showed up and thinks she was at a friends house. Pretty fucking spectacular to watch the guys try to chainsaw through a house's walls only to be thwarted by piled afghans and stacks of papers and milk crates and bird cages and stained glass windows and cobalt bottles and clocks and radios and... 

check your smoke alarms people.

at first I heard the trucks engines and saw their lights, I immediately thought somebody was trying to tow one of my Datsuns.

• Like 1

yeah they looked seriously pissed. Throwing shit out of the way, smashing windows to have shit fall out on them. Trying to cut through walls and haveing their saws throw the chain.

Note to self: If I am ever a drug lord I will hire a hoarder to hold my stuff. The cops will never be able to get in in time.

yeah they looked seriously pissed. Throwing shit out of the way, smashing windows to have shit fall out on them. Trying to cut through walls and haveing their saws throw the chain.

Note to self: If I am ever a drug lord I will hire a hoarder to hold my stuff. The cops will never be able to get in in time.

Hoarders are the fucking worst. I think its easier to get an alcoholic to switch over to soda.

Gawd they are annoying if you have to deal with them. The guy in my complex is pulling that shit, fucking bamboo, fishtanks, rugs, cat playgrounds. I would say 90% of the time they will never be the one removing that shit.

I think only single people do it to replace family members.

This one guy I knew was such a hoarder that it gave his dogs arthritis from not being able to walk around normally.

• Like 1