The L.e.n.o effect

Guest 510kamikazifreak

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For how great of a job he did on that grille...it is about the right price (still more than i would pay) and like said. he obviously doesnt own a 510, otherwise he would know >.>

And i said i wouldnt pay that, but i would if i HAD the money. Why im hoping that guys re-production version looks as good, just something about this grille would look super sexy on my purple 510. 

There is less expensive versions of that style of grill right?

What do you mean by less expensive 'versions'?  There's only one version of the bluebird JDM SSS grille....unless you're referring to the different badging that came on it, the grille itself only came in one style, what you see there.  The price this guy is asking is definitely priced to what they've been selling for.  That one on ebay is still not over and we all know if there's a bidding war between two guys that really want it, it'll drive the price way up. 

It's funny how many people complain about the prices of those grilles... And they always sell for that price. There's obviously a market for it.

People crack me up. At a bare minimum think of it as this: JDM only, one year only, 40yr old car, very rare, and the demand is high. Parts like that fetch a premium.

At one point those were decently cheap (compared to current value), but prices on those have risen far before Leno came on the scene. It seems the "Leno Effect" is the new "hipster." Everyone thinks that because its expensive it must be because Jay. There's a difference between a piece if crap 280zx or rusted out b210 and a very rare perfectly restored JDM grille.

Don't cry Leno because you're too poor to play the game.

• Like 1

I would run my car without front end instead of buying that ... 

I understand the market and value point ... but looking at this add is like looking at a ferrari ... no interest BECAUSE of the price 

its a luxury thing that you just shouldn't think about .... 

At one point those were decently cheap (compared to current value), but prices on those have risen far before Leno came on the scene. It seems the "Leno Effect" is the new "hipster." Everyone thinks that because its expensive it must be because Jay. There's a difference between a piece if crap 280zx or rusted out b210 and a very rare perfectly restored JDM grille.

Don't cry Leno because you're too poor to play the game.

I have to agree with this. I think the whole Leno thing was funny at first, but I can't believe some people are seriously using the guy as a scapegoat. The prices of Datsuns(most noticeable in 510's) have been skyrocketing over the past 5 or so years. I got into the scene about 7 years ago, just in time to watch things start to get really stupid. About 3 or 4 years ago, I sold a 69 4dr(pretty much complete minus drivetrain) with an imperfect body(not beat by any means) for $450 delivered 2 hours away. This was pretty normal. I've watched a couple people here in the past few years selling 510's for what I thought was WAY too much for their condition, but somehow they still sold(I think just based on who the people were, not because the cars were anything extra special). That created a bubble in the market, and quickly, all the prices of 510's have been driven upward as a result. As that has happened, the vacuum in the market has started pulling the prices of other Datsuns upward. Mix that with the fact that Datsuns for the first time in automotive history are being widely recognized  as "classic" "nostalgic" and "desirable", and not seen as a cheap, throw-away joke of a car, and you now have on your hands a competitive market for what's left. It's not because of a talk show host that nobody seems to care for anyway. All he did was give a 15min pat-on-the-back to a car that was already becoming en vogue.

• Like 5

I'm with micro on this, I've been in the scene for that same amount of time, what I paid 3k for 7 years ago would have sold for twice that 3 years after I bought it. The datsun market was already on the rise the last probly 10 years, Leno just made it just jump ahead a couple years

• Like 1

As the old saying goes: "A fool and his money are soon parted."

That's all I have to say about any amount of money for a damn 720.

To each their own... the above saying is how I feel about 720s. 

Some people can justify the price of that grille and some cannot, but that doesnt give people the right to talk shit about fair market value grille prices (especially in someones FS ad) when they obviously have no clue whats going on. Any classic foreign parts can be spendy and some cant afford it. Not everyone can afford the same things... 

I have to agree with this. I think the whole Leno thing was funny at first, but I can't believe some people are seriously using the guy as a scapegoat. 

Ive only been in the 510 game for a short period, but I too have seen a constant increase in prices. Granted there was an obvious shift in the 510 market after that video, but its not like hes the end-all-be-all in the car value market. He just gave it a little nudge in the direction it was already headed. 

Ive only been in the 510 game for a short period, but I too have seen a constant increase in prices. Granted there was an obvious shift in the 510 market after that video, but its not like hes the end-all-be-all in the car value market. He just gave it a little nudge in the direction it was already headed. 

ya, some of your guys seem very resentful towards leno...

think you should be putting more blame on venues like stance-nation and canibeat (ect.) for their constant coverage of nostalgic cars. 

video 'docs' on cars come out all the time, much better ones too (the petrolicous and depth of speed) shocking that there is such a big deal about this one.

To me it's all about the "40 year rule." generally cars will drastically drop in value for say 40 years. then almost no matter the car will start going back up. 

so no surpise that such a platform like the 510 would come back, honestly surprised that they aren't more expensive.

• Like 1

I dont think there is much surprise that the cars are going up in price. Thats how the world works especially when the cars are getting more and more rare. I think the general feeling from this discussion is that there are a LOT of people trying to oversell essentially trash in their front (or back) yards. 

In general though it must be said that the classic car market is horrendously inflated. Particularly when looking at things like the Mecum or Barret Jackson auctions. 

In general though it must be said that the classic car market is horrendously inflated. Particularly when looking at things like the Mecum or Barret Jackson auctions.

Yeah, the muscle car scene is horrendously inflated. Luckily that's not a hobby I'm close to into.

We don't have a TV host to lay a disproportionate amount of blame on due to rising prices in demand for Datsun's (1600's in particular).

Prices down here have risen markedly in recent years as these cars become harder to find, and new enthusiasts see the merit in owning this particular marque (something us old hands have known for years).

The simple fact is, we are dealing with cars which are up to, or more than forty years old.

Subsequently, good (original) bits are going to be harder to source, and complete cars even more so. Consequently, prices have risen accordingly as demand outstrips supply.

Ten years ago I would have paid no more than $800-$1000AUD for a decent 1600 with mags, 5spd, L18. Twin SU's and reasonable body work. Today, in excess of $5000AUD for the same car "IF" you can find someone willing to part with one.

To prove my point how ridiculous prices have become here, have a look at this:

http://www.carsales.com.au/car/bncis/demo/dealer/demo/private?tabid=3013592&base=1216&vertical=Car&eapi=2&find=Datsun%201600%7CCarAll&keyword=Datsun%201600&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~0.5&sort=default

Would I pay $1800 for a grille, fuck no!

Doesn't mean it isn't worth that price to someone!

I'm going to go and cuddle my parts stash now :)

• Like 2

I used to own a 1973 bmw 2002 tii that I bought for 4k I drove the crap out of and sold for 6.5k 3 years later.  That same car in the same condition is now commanding at least 10k a pristine modded one sold on ebay for 34k a few months back.  It has been 8 years since I sold it.  The way I see it it's a good thing that people are starting to appreciate these little cars whether it be an old datsun or bimmer.  Porsche 912 could be found for around 7k 10 yrs ago and now they can go up to 30k.  I plan on keeping the 510 for awhile and hopefully when I do sell it I'll premium bucks.  These cars are only worth what the next guy is willing to pay and I'm hoping the next guy has a fat wallet,  lol. 

To each their own... the above saying is how I feel about 720s. 

Some people can justify the price of that grille and some cannot, but that doesnt give people the right to talk shit about fair market value grille prices (especially in someones FS ad) when they obviously have no clue whats going on. Any classic foreign parts can be spendy and some cant afford it. Not everyone can afford the same things... 

First, I want to know how much is your cut on that $1800?

You sure seem quick to defend his price gouging, and you did mention YOU were the person he got it from!

As for my 720 vs your precious 510s... I don't see the damn difference. Well, actually I do. I KNOW my truck is a piece of shit econobox pickup, while you people think the econobox 510 cars are a freaking 70 Chevelle or 69 Mustang Boss 302! But it isn't. BUT, I only paid $750 for my truck, the whole truck, not just a damn part! And I drove it home. While I love the little 510 cars I might pay $1800 for the ENTIRE car, not just a grille, because I have common sense. Even if I were rich. Personally the only Datsun that is worth a heavier pricetag to me is the Z.

And since you dumdums have no sense of humor... the whole "LENO thing" is called a JOKE.

And all of you are missing the point of my and others on my side of the argument. If some damn rich fools didn't blow an asston of money for it IN THE FIRST PLACE, it would STILL BE AFFORDABLE! That doesn't just go for the 510 and it's parts, that means anything from an old car to antique furniture. But I guess you can justify paying $10,000 for some old rotting chair from the 1600's too THAT YOU CAN'T EVEN SIT ON.