How to wire a KA, CA, SR, and VG into anything

Icehouse

Esteep,

Q1) Starter Solenoid - ECCS ecu accepts signal to indicate when the engine is being cranked to life by the starter motor; think of this signal as invoking a software routine that issues extra fuel for cranking.  Without this signal, the motor will be very stubborn to start.  In the case of a basic wiring install, the signal for this pin would come from the pushbutton providing +12V to the starter tab.

Q2) toggle switch to "key on/Switched 12v" is fine --> +12V will power everything, [no]V will turn everything off

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Below is the wires i have cut and will depin. The XXX's are questionable and my KA is auto not manual. Is there more that i can do? because my wiring loom top and bottom is stick very thick and not slim as i would like or seen on some of you senior members. Any help is well appreciated and thanks ahead.

240sxharnesspinoutx3.jpg

A guy posted this earlier I believe as a question as to whether the yellow highlighted circuits could be removed and de-pinned from the harness and ecu plug.. unfortunately, I don't think he was answered..

95s14.jpg

Here's a layout of the wires needed from an s14 plug.. you'll have to find an s13 pinout diagram to convert this to, but that shouldn't be hard at all.

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. I bought an AE86 running a CA18DET. The engine wiring was a horrible job, it looked like they'd mocked things up temporarily to see if it'd work and just left it as it was. The relays were just hanging loose in the engine bay, I had 12v cables from the battery running over the door seal, a 1 meter piece of cable that was 5 or 6 different colours spliced together, etc. It was such a mess that I couldn't work out what had been done and just tidy it up. I've stripped it all out and started again. It doesn't help that this is the 2nd different engine that's been fitted to the car so there is a lot of random plugs knocking about, etc.

I can't afford a can/am box at the moment so i'm wiring it up with relays. I think it's all wired up correctly but it's not starting. The fuel pump primes, the ECU turns on, the car turns over, just doesn't start.

This is how i've wired it up:

ca18det-pinout-diagram.gif

ECU Power

Pin 30- 12v constant on "Fused" power source

Pin 87- Black/ white wire from S13 harness (pin 109, 49, 59)

Pin 85- Ground

Pin 86- Ignition on source

Ignition

Pin 30- 12v constant on "Fused" power source

Pin 87- Bigger black/ red wire (pin 45) spliced with bigger blue/ red wire from S13 dash harness (goes to coil pack and F8 connector), spliced with white Oxygen sensor (pin 29) [guides i've read have said that the oxygen sensor, pin 29 is brown. On my ECU it's white]

Pin 85- Ground

Pin 86- Ignition on source

Fuel Pump

Pin 30- Ignition On source

Pin 87- Positive fuel pump feed from AE86 (blue and black wire)

Pin 85- black/pink from S13 harness (pin 18)

Pin 86- Ignition on source (looped from relay Pin 30)

Orange wire (pin 43) connected to starter solenoid.

Going by the guide on here, the only thing i've not connected is the "black w/yellow - air regulator". This might not be helping the non starting (it wasn't connected before and the car ran). I don't know where to find the black w/yellow feed to wire it up other than the f10 connector in the engine bay. Does it run to the ECU plug?  Do I splice it into the fuel pump positive wire, pin 87?  

On the previous wiring lash up all the feeds were taken from the engine bay connectors, I've tried to make a neater job of it and i've taken mine from the ECU plug 

CA18DET%20CANAM%20BOARD.jpg

First off let's start by properly diagnosing the issue you've got here...

Do you have spark?

Are you getting fuel?

No i don't mean does the pump prime, or does it crank.

Remove a fuel line and literally check if you're getting flow.

Pull a plug wire, ground it with a screw driver / something metal on the firewall or wherever it will reach... Spark?

Check then reply!

Also, did you just install this engine? Or did you buy this with the CA already in it? Did it run when purchased?

PM me so we don't bump this thread anymore.

Hm.... Upon further inspection, the diagram for the S13 KA24DE may be incorrect. finishing the wiring on me Ka24de swap and saw that in the "1991 240sx w/ KA24de" Factory Service Manual it claims that the B / Y wire is the starter wire? Am i just getting confused here or?? because in the diagram above it says it the Orange wire ?

found here on page 12

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/91-94/EL.pdf

Are you looking at the F8, F9, or F1 plugs? I do have an orange wire coming from Pin 24, going to the Dash (F1) plug, right near the ECU... is that what i plug to the Pos(+) side of the starter solenoid?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - finally getting around to wiring up the SR20DET (redtop, if that matters).  I have my own relay box I made up, but I'm having some difficulty with which wires to use from the harness.  I know that the main wires are pulled at the big grey plug, the brown plug near it, and then from the dash plug.

The brown plug has a brown wire that needs to be used... but when I'm looking at my harness, there are TWO brown wires in the brown plug.  Which one do I use?  

EDIT:  Nevermind.  Page 4 is rather useful.

However, I've noticed that the colors don't match up on my grey plug.  This is interesting.

IMG_0072.jpg

The GREEN wire on the top left is RED/BLUE on my harness.  I also have an extra YELLOW/GREEN on the bottom right.

The ORANGE wire, bottom second-to-the-left is a BLACK wire on my harness. 

Aren't we also supposed to pull a blue/yellow or black/yellow AACV wire from that grey plug?  

AND... I just noticed that was a KA harness, not an SR harness.  Hopefully the brown plug is close the same, because I just cut it.  ha.  But as for the grey plug, does anybody have a picture, similarly labeled to the one above, for the SR plugs?

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_0072.jpg

The GREEN wire on the top left is RED/BLUE on my harness.  I also have an extra YELLOW/GREEN on the bottom right.

The ORANGE wire, bottom second-to-the-left is a BLACK wire on my harness. 

Aren't we also supposed to pull a blue/yellow or black/yellow AACV wire from that grey plug?  

AND... I just noticed that was a KA harness, not an SR harness.  Hopefully the brown plug is close the same, because I just cut it.  ha.  But as for the grey plug, does anybody have a picture, similarly labeled to the one above, for the SR plugs?

Yep they are almost the same.  Yes there are a bunch of wires you don't need.   Just use the diagram I made on the first page for the sr.  If you look on the right side of the diagram it shows you exactly how to hook up your relays if you make your own box.  

Thanks, Jeff.  I built my own box, and I've finally figured the wires out.  I've got some fuel lines to bend and install, fill the fluids, and that should be enough to start the car.  This has been a fun adventure.  SR, here we come!

Dude your going to love it!  Where is the build thread? 

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone do a wiring diagram for a ka24de 93 that doesn't need the can/am box? Only builds that i saw that did't use the can/am were this ones.----------> http://community.ratsun.net/topic/537-how-to-wire-a-ka-ca-sr-and-vg-into-anything/page-30

Sadly they don't show what wire goes where, or at least a sneak pic of what wires bolt into each relay.  

I would really appreciate the help, because I've been looking into swapping a ka24de into my roadster.

Hopefully i don't have to go the more expensive R1 ka24e swap way.      

Thanks You

Ok man..... I'm losing it. Holy fu king smokes, READ READ READ!!!!!

I am LITERALLY SPOON FEEDING YOOOOOOUUUU!

Copy n paste from a thread I contributed to, completely defining 'exactly' what to do.

Refer to post here: (use this link, this post is a bit scrambled, posting from iPhone...)

--->>. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/58876-ka24de-510-questions/

OR this is a copy and paste: ......

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

DatsunSwag22, on 06 Dec 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

i have a 71 Datsun 510 2 door.

ok so i been reading a lot about the wiring up. I've never wired a Car up before but i do radios n systems. so i know how to work wit wires. but I'm still a lil confused on how to do the wiring. do i take the whole datsun engine harness out.? how do i connect the KA wiring to the Datsun wiring ? I've be doing a lot of reading on here but i just haven't figured it out.i had someone that was going to help me but Changed his mind. any help would help. thank you

Q. do i take the whole datsun engine harness out.?

A. No. Leave that harness (engine compartment) in there. Those wires still need to go to the KA starter, alternator, battery and 510 headlights, blinkers, and misc. relays. Keep in mind that the Datsun was carbureted, therefore it didn't have a wire harness feeding the injectors, knock sensor, fuel pump, etc etc.

Q. how do i connect the KA wiring to the Datsun wiring ?

A. The only wiring that you connect 'to-the-datsun-wiring" is the IGN and ST wires at the ignition to turn the ECU on and prime the fuel pump. You could 'almost' think of your KA as stand-alone to the chassis... After all the only thing they share is a battery, grounds and wires to ignition, The chassis doesn't know the engine exist - vice versa.

Overall, at first glance wiring an engine swap can be pretty daunting. But when it comes down to it, it's really just a check list....

Power to ECU?

Power to fuel pump?

Grounds?

Relays?

Done.

All the wires you need to make the KA24DE to run are located on 3 plugs. F1 connector (Located near the ECU) F8, and F9 connectors (found in the right front corner of the 240sx engine bay, behind passenger headlight.)

I have a few links I'll share with you. I made my own box for around $32. While Icehouse makes and incredibly easy box and has solid support, you can make one for much cheaper.

Link:

(Make sure you read through these!)

Necessary wires to run a KA24DE: http://forums.ma240s...d.php?tid=10070

Pics:

Diagram I made up for my '79 Stanza. It should apply for you too.....

*PLEASE NOTE:

At the bottom of diagram, there is "Starter ----Orange --- F1 Plug"

THIS IS INCORRECT^

You need to cut the ORANGE wire from F1 plug and connect it to the "ST" position if your ignition. This signals the ECU the vehicle is starting and makes the fuel pump supply more fuel, if I remember correctly.

======================================================================================

========================================

I hope this helps. With the information I have provided, you are 100% capable of wiring your Datsun / KA swap. These are 'literally' the only resources I've used.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Are ecu pins # 104, and 4 grounds that come from the ecu?  I'm asking because i don't know what polarity they have. Also because the relay for IACV is actually grounded compared to the other 2 relays. Again sorry for bothering.