How to wire a KA, CA, SR, and VG into anything

Icehouse

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find these wiring diagrams to be a bit confusing anyways, as in why the engine harness goes to the ECU, then spliced to the CAN/AM box?

I know this is an old post, but this is exactly how I am feeling right now.

I know this is going to come off as an elementary question, and I do know a little about wiring- but am I plugging the harness into the ECU, then taking the wires in the diagram going to the ECU and cutting them and running into the CAN/AM box?

It's been a long day at work, and I read blue prints all day, but this has me stumped  :confused:

I know this is an old post, but this is exactly how I am feeling right now.

I know this is going to come off as an elementary question, and I do know a little about wiring- but am I plugging the harness into the ECU, then taking the wires in the diagram going to the ECU and cutting them and running into the CAN/AM box?

It's been a long day at work, and I read blue prints all day, but this has me stumped  :confused:

After some thinking, I think I have it figured out. The way the diagram is laid out is confusing. 

Confusing to me at least, but I don't have the actual wiring harness in front of me all I have is the engine. So I kind of have a handicap at the moment

There are usually two plugs that are on the side of the harness. One normally went to the fuse box and the other is a test plug or power supply plug. You can scavenge the wires from those without cutting the main harness.

Then again, mine is a Z31 harness.

So, I switched out the fuel pressure regulator and it still will not fire. 

I am running the 200sx injectors with the 300zx ecu, is this ok? Or do I need to use the 300zx injectors?

HELP! 

Dude have you checked or injector pulse?  have you tried dumping gas into the intake and seeing if it fires?  

After some thinking, I think I have it figured out. The way the diagram is laid out is confusing. 

Confusing to me at least, but I don't have the actual wiring harness in front of me all I have is the engine. So I kind of have a handicap at the moment

Yeah don't cut near the ECU.  Follow them and hook them up where they dead end.  

Hey I have a canam box on my s14 sr I had a shop do the wiring but the wiring is not correct the car runs and dries however the canam box is working properly I would really like for icehouse to give me a call and help me with my issues I can send pics please give me a call at 4073103563 names anthony

I am in the process of rewiring the headlights on an S14 NA 72 510. I replaced the harness from the firewall grommet to the starter, alt, and to the headlights/signals.

The headlights turn on without the switch, and test light shows ground on fusebox, alt.

theres no current.

this is a complete working head light set off a totaled S14 NA. didn't think is was going to be easy but everything is there.

256370E3-C465-4127-AB9F-7376663318B3-124

E80F2001-6D59-470E-909A-75D5F5B407DE-883

Ok so I just want to do the 3 relay connection with out the can box. My fuel system is going to be completely separate. So what do I need to do to have it running. Oh by the way its a ka24de. I will have switches as ignitions and starter and fans and stuff. My fans are separate also

Ok so I just want to do the 3 relay connection with out the can box. My fuel system is going to be completely separate. So what do I need to do to have it running. Oh by the way its a ka24de. I will have switches as ignitions and starter and fans and stuff. My fans are separate also

The diagrams work with or without a can/am box.  Use the Left side of the drawing.  

• Like 2

The diagrams work with or without a can/am box. Use the Left side of the drawing.

Heyy I got your miss call. I'm sorry I was at work. I understand I can use the left side but I have a few questions that might be easier to just talk than to write up a 2 page essay hahahhaha. What time is best for you tomorrow. I know im 3 hour a ahead from you since im in orlando Florida.

This might be a dumb question what's a can/am box

First post, but considering this is 34 pages in, I guess a repost is ok. :)

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:

First of here all all the FSM's

NEW

CAN/AM POWER PRODUCTS easy wiring box's

We've finally done it! Just had to post some pics up. More to come later.

2011-01-22_20-27-31_70.jpg

2011-01-22_20-27-45_128.jpg

2011-01-22_20-27-08_566.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm going to update this thread and have a diagram for each engine, that way it will make things much simpler for you guys. I'm not sure when they will all be done so bare with me. I've had quite a few emails for the VG out of an S12 So that is going to be the first update.

With help from a few guys on the realm and a lot more research I think I've found the best way to wire a few different Nissan engines into anything, not just Datsuns. These diagrams keep the engine wiring separate from the chassis harness, which I like because it can be removed at any time without to much work. It also keeps added power from going through the factory ignition switch, which can get VERY hot if over loaded, don't ask me how I know smile.gif Just go slow and triple check everything. I've wired countless different Nissan EFI systems and never blown out an ECU. That's because I take my time and make sure every wire is accounted for. Never, I mean never add power to an unknown wire or ground an unknown wire. Find a diagram of your engine if needed. O and it never hurts to have to many fuses biggrin.gif

Below are just a few things you should know before starting your EFI wiring:

All Nissan EFI harnesses are for the most part self contained, usually only splitting into the chassis harness for power, switched power, a few different signals, and the idiot lights. Nothing to difficult to understand and recreate. Over the years of messing with other peoples swaps I have seen countless different ways to make the stock EFI work. I personally do it this way, and understand it can be done with less relays and fuses. IMO they are all necessary and important for various reasons. Shit you could twist a few wires together and jam them under the battery cable every time you wanted to drive your car and it would work. But it wouldn't be right!

One question I get a lot is "What can I remove from the stock engine to clean it up?" Well I remove all the EGR, mainly because it's usually broken smile.gif but as for any cold start/idle control items I leave them on the engine. When I installed the KA in my 620 I removed all 3 of nissans cold start/idle circuits because the dudes on the BB list said they did and the car ran fine. I'm a man of science so I thought it would be a fun experiment. Well maybe in California but up here in Washington it's not worth it. My truck will start and run decent but I like my Datsun's to run like new cars not just slightly better than a carburetor....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

88Z31VG30ECAN-AM.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

S12VGCANAM.jpg

The S12 is not my favorite harness to work with, Nissan incorporated some of it with the chassis harness and also changed some of the colors of the wires after going through a plug... I will include a link to a scan that Chris made after getting his approval.

Every harness should be completely stripped down, that way wires can be shortened and lengthened to fit your application, unneeded wires can be removed and the harness can be made to look like it fits your car. If there is one thing I hate it's scary looking wiring. There should be NO floating wiring, strain reliefs should be used, and MOST of all there should be grommets every time a harness goes though any sort of metal, AKA a firewall! 680 cold cranking amps cooks wires really fast, always use fuses or a breaker as close to the battery as possible.

Every thing about the VG diagram is pretty straight forward except the brown sensor wire in the drawing. It powers the a few need components like the fast idle solenoid but also powers the EGT solenoid which isn't need, cutting open the harness will allow you to remove un-need wires that are tapped onto this wire. This wire never goes to the ECU so it has no pin number.

If anyone local is going to do the S12 VG let me know, I will come help and get some pictures to make this a bit easier.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CA18DET%20CANAM%20BOARD.jpg

KA24E%20CAN-AM%201.jpg

S13KA24DECANAM.jpg

%2095KA24DE%20s14.jpg

The S14 harnesses are not my favorite, for more than one reason. First off the are decoy wires. Like TWO black with pink wires coming off the ECU, which just makes things a little more tedious. Then Nissan decided to use spray phone to seal the firewall grommet, aka a bitch to remove. Last but not least it was ton's of extra plugs that need to be removed, stuff like the wiper motor wires....

SR20DET%20CAN-AMBOX.jpg

I still have the old faithful diagram posted, once I get all the engines done it will be deleted but I can't bare to do it just yet.

s13%20wiring%20diagram%20pic%20file.jpg

All but 3 of these connections are made at the 2 or 3 plugs (depending on the engine harness) there are 3 connections made at the ecu tach ground and starter signal. I will post KA-510's car as an example.

• 2 weeks later...

Are those 15A fuses a little small, feading the relays? 240sx FSM states some of those circuits need 25A and some say 30A....

"Red - Power supply (Back-up) – 25A fused constant power"

"Black/Red - Ignition switch – 30A fused power when ignition is turned to ON"

?

Are those 15A fuses a little small, feading the relays? 240sx FSM states some of those circuits need 25A and some say 30A....

"Red - Power supply (Back-up) – 25A fused constant power"

"Black/Red - Ignition switch – 30A fused power when ignition is turned to ON"

?

Never had a problem.  Even wired extra stuff through the same circuit and it's been fine.  

Also.... The starter wire doesn't make sense to me...... ECM orange wire to STARTER SOLENDOID wouldn't do anything? Starter signal isn't sent through the ECM, If I remember correctly... Wouldn't this needed to be integrated to the existing starter relay? Essentially plugging in the starter wire from the previously equipped L20 into the KA?

Thank icehouse, appreciate your help.

I've had this Can Am Box for a few months now and I'm finally starting my wiring on my 510 and I have a few questions on the S13 sr20det diagrams. First off the orange wire Ecu Pin #36 to Starter Solenoid, Is that wired someplace between solenoid and ignition start? Second I don't have any of the stock wiring for my car no ignition key just some toggle switches with a push start button and kill switch, So there is no Old Coil black/white wire do I replace that with ignition start power as well or just "key on/Switched 12v"?