ka24de 510 Questions.

DatsunSwag22

i have a 71 Datsun 510 2 door. 

ok so i been reading a lot about the wiring up. I've never wired a Car up before but i do radios n systems. so i know how to work wit wires. but I'm still a lil confused on how to do the wiring. do i take the whole datsun engine harness out.? how do i connect the KA wiring to the Datsun wiring ? I've be doing a lot of reading on here but i just haven't figured it out.i had someone that was going to help me but Changed his mind.  any help would help. thank you 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a 71 Datsun 510 2 door. 

ok so i been reading a lot about the wiring up. I've never wired a Car up before but i do radios n systems. so i know how to work wit wires. but I'm still a lil confused on how to do the wiring. do i take the whole datsun engine harness out.? how do i connect the KA wiring to the Datsun wiring ? I've be doing a lot of reading on here but i just haven't figured it out.i had someone that was going to help me but Changed his mind.  any help would help. thank you 

Q.  do i take the whole datsun engine harness out.?

A.  No. Leave that harness (engine compartment) in there. Those wires still need to go to the KA starter, alternator, battery and 510 headlights, blinkers, and misc. relays. Keep in mind that the Datsun was carbureted, therefore it didn't have a wire harness feeding the injectors, knock sensor, fuel pump, etc etc. 

Q. how do i connect the KA wiring to the Datsun wiring ?

A. The only wiring that you connect 'to-the-datsun-wiring" is the IGN and ST wires at the ignition to turn the ECU on and prime the fuel pump. You could 'almost' think of your KA as stand-alone to the chassis... After all the only thing they share is a battery, grounds and wires to ignition, The chassis doesn't know the engine exist - vice versa.

Overall, at first glance wiring an engine swap can be pretty daunting. But when it comes down to it, it's really just a check list....

Power to ECU?

Power to fuel pump?

Grounds?

Relays?

Done.

All the wires you need to make the KA24DE to run are located on 3 plugs. F1 connector (Located near the ECU) F8, and F9 connectors (found in the right front corner of the 240sx engine bay, behind passenger headlight.)

I have a few links I'll share with you. I made my own box for around $32. While Icehouse makes and incredibly easy box and has solid support, you can make one for much cheaper.

Link:

(Make sure you read through these!)

Necessary wires to run a KA24DE: http://forums.ma240sx.net/showthread.php?tid=10070

Pics:

Diagram I made up for my '79 Stanza. It should apply for you too.....

*PLEASE NOTE:

At the bottom of diagram, there is "Starter ----Orange --- F1 Plug"

THIS IS INCORRECT^

You need to cut the ORANGE wire from F1 plug and connect it to the "ST" position if your ignition. This signals the ECU the vehicle is starting and makes the fuel pump supply more fuel, if I remember correctly.

6g4FnfV.jpg

======================================================================================

========================================

g59HWw1.gif

I hope this helps. With the information I have provided, you are 100% capable of wiring your Datsun / KA swap. These are 'literally' the only resources I've used.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Q.  do i take the whole datsun engine harness out.?

A.  No. Leave that harness (engine compartment) in there. Those wires still need to go to the KA starter, alternator, battery and 510 headlights, blinkers, and misc. relays. Keep in mind that the Datsun was carbureted, therefore it didn't have a wire harness feeding the injectors, knock sensor, fuel pump, etc etc. 

Q. how do i connect the KA wiring to the Datsun wiring ?

A. The only wiring that you connect 'to-the-datsun-wiring" is the IGN and ST wires at the ignition to turn the ECU on and prime the fuel pump. You could 'almost' think of your KA as stand-alone to the chassis... After all the only thing they share is a battery, grounds and wires to ignition, The chassis doesn't know the engine exist - vice versa.

Overall, at first glance wiring an engine swap can be pretty daunting. But when it comes down to it, it's really just a check list....

Power to ECU?

Power to fuel pump?

Grounds?

Relays?

Done.

All the wires you need to make the KA24DE to run are located on 3 plugs. F1 connector (Located near the ECU) F8, and F9 connectors (found in the right front corner of the 240sx engine bay, behind passenger headlight.)

I have a few links I'll share with you. I made my own box for around $32. While Icehouse makes and incredibly easy box and has solid support, you can make one for much cheaper.

Link:

(Make sure you read through these!)

Necessary wires to run a KA24DE: http://forums.ma240sx.net/showthread.php?tid=10070

Pics:

Diagram I made up for my '79 Stanza. It should apply for you too.....

*PLEASE NOTE:

At the bottom of diagram, there is "Starter ----Orange --- F1 Plug"

THIS IS INCORRECT^

You need to cut the ORANGE wire from F1 plug and connect it to the "ST" position if your ignition. This signals the ECU the vehicle is starting and makes the fuel pump supply more fuel, if I remember correctly.

6g4FnfV.jpg

======================================================================================

========================================

g59HWw1.gif

I hope this helps. With the information I have provided, you are 100% capable of wiring your Datsun / KA swap. These are 'literally' the only resources I've used.

Good luck!

thank you for the info. hopefully i can do it

What other stuff? I'm not sure you quite unserstand what I posted. The datsun (chassis) is 99.9% stand alone from the newly swapped KA. The don't know eachother exist. It's like peanut butter and jelly. Separate they're two different things. Put them together you have a sandwich. Put the KA in a datto chassis, you have a car that runs.

What 'exactly' is your confusion? Be precise, I will answer exactly.

• Like 2

Ok, I can see a little of your confusion here. Leave all the stock relays and wires alone. Do not touch them. Like states previously, those run headlamps, wipers, blinkers, horn, etc except for (I think) two wires. One going to old ignition coil, and the other being the ignitions ST (start) wire. Those are (once again, 'i think') the only datsun wires that need to be modified. Oh and alternator plug.

All the wiring for the KA is additional to the current wiring... And it's not very 'additional', very very simple.

Have you removed the L series from the 510? Do so, if you haven't. You'll begin to see just how complete the wiring is.

Pull the L series out and 'pretend' to put it back in, but using the KA... That should ease the uncertainty you have, haha!

This is so easy. I promise.