Minty Fresh 510

Tristin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While surfing the net I stumbled upon a picture that got me thinking. Ive never seen a vinyl roofed 510 that looked any good because they were all work tattered original pieces. I finally saw this:

27JOkl.jpg

Looking over the other pictures available on this car, man oh man... its clean as hell. Now this car is a '69 so I wont break my rule of try to keep it period or model correct (hence trying to keep my white walls) and I think it will just give it that little bit extra. What does everyone think? Yes or no on the vinyl top? I think if done correctly it can come out looking great... vinyl tops were the shit back in the day. Thoughts?

• Like 1

That car is sweet! Id go with the white(ivory) vinyl on your car. It would be a better contrast with the dark green than a black one.

Thats exactly what I was thinking Doug. Im still undecided... and I have a ways before paint, but I saw this and I really liked it. You dont see too many vinyl topped 510s these days so I thought it would give it that little extra pizazz.

So it has been decided that I going with the original green and Im going to source around for a vinyl top.

Doug and I have officially decided that my car hates Olalla (aka Dougs house). Every time I go over there, something that isnt broken when I show up... decides to break. Not only does it break, but its something that we cant initially figure out. So weird.

Edit: thanks for the picture Banana.

There has to be a legit way to make sure that doesn't happen. I mean, it's been 43 years since the car was made. I bet there's a less corrosive vinyls glue. I'll do my reading, but so far I'm still down for the vinyl.

So driving to a work thing this morning, the engine started sputtering... it was fine with no gas going down the street, but as soon as you started giving it some gas it would get all crazy idle on me. I couldnt get the car above 50mph and I was on the freeway (60mph limit). I got on surface streets and babied it the rest of the way. I had an appointment I couldnt miss so I had to go the distance; I didnt have time to call a cab and no one was close enough to give me a ride. I had these same exact symptoms a couple weekends ago which is what made me miss the last Graffiti Garage meet. I thought it was bad gas that weekend because I had just filled it up at a place I dont normally. Needless to say, it fixed itself.

So back to today, I get out of my appointment and as Im going home I get the same symptoms and now I cant break 35mph. Cars are lined up behind me as Im going super slow and sputtering down the street. I pull off safely and start to do some investigating. I figure its a fuel issue and look at the carb sight glass- barely any gas. I check the fuel filter- barely any gas. I open my trunk and I almost pass out from the fumes. Ive been watching my gas gauge a lot lately because it seems that empty shows 1/4 on the gauge. Ive been doing a lot of math to see what my mpg is and I feel like I should be getting a lot more. The car has smelled like gas for awhile now, but assumed that it was because of my missing door seals and that Im running a little rich. Well it wasnt.

Turns out my breather hose connected to the filler hose into my tank has come loose. I didnt think it was that important, but apparently it is. I connected it up, drove for about 4 blocks and had the same symptoms again. I checked the hose again and it was apart. I tightened it back up, and down the road I went. So... Im not sure if its supposed to be that important, but Im about 97% sure thats what my issue is.

So looks like I have to find a new longer hose to make sure it stays together.

So I started working at a local tuner shop ran by a friend of mine. The benefits are that I now have access to high quality tools, a lift, and space to take the car apart if needed for the project (I live in an apartment).

Last night was a late night in the shop waiting on a local parts store to send over a rear main seal for a customers car. Anyway, after that ordeal we threw my car up on the lift and took care of installing some of the parts I had been hoarding for the last month or two. We installed a set of Troy Ermish front coilovers on 280zx struts and brakes, stainless brake lines, and Aero 13x7 +0 rims with the slightly stretched 155/80s on them. I wish the rubbers were 155/55 or 65s, but I already owned them so it will have to do until they wear out. Then I can buy something with a little better sidewall profile. I had some issues with the drivers side 280 caliper as the stainless line wouldnt thread into it. It seems like the first two threads were stripped slightly so after a little manipulation we got it sorted out and fitted right.

Everything else went pretty smoothly. Adjusted the coilovers to a height I liked and took the car off the lift. Turns out it wasnt low enough... so it needed moar loar. Dropped it down another couple inches to a better height. Now the car has a bit of a rake to it. Unfortunately with the rears being so soft and the extra inch of rim I added, the tires rub if theres even a moderate amount of weight in the back. Theres no way I could even carry a single person in the rear with the way it sits right now. Even 70lbs make the rears rub. So now Im on the hunt for a good setup to fix the rear. Any ideas?

Anyway, here are some pictures:

New rims on stock suspension and height
9209716713_672ce6bded_c.jpg

Side poke on stock suspension and height
9212501106_7093feaab2_c.jpg

Stock suspension
9212501106_7093feaab2_c.jpg

280zx suspension
9212501376_e3475d2d70_c.jpg

Side poke on 280zx suspension and lowered height
9209717523_6820be12a4_c.jpg

New rims with lowered height
9209718315_8172b5f054_c.jpg

Profile view to include all new parts installed and front lowered
9209717983_b8a9cdf8f5_c.jpg

When I ordered the rims, I ordered a set that were completely black without the yellow stripe and for whatever reason those were the ones that showed up. Unfortunately, I didnt open the box until I went to mount and balance the tires so I didnt notice. The Aero logos on the rims are stickers so Im just going to Goo Gone them ro remove them, but Im not 100% sure what I want to do about the thin yellow line. I still have to completely refinish the stock bullseye hubcaps before I mount them to see how they look. So far I really like just these (with the exception of the yellow). I want to thank Paul for all the suspension components I picked up. They were in great condition and worked out phenomenally.

If anyone local to the Seattle/Tacoma area would like a set of stock 510 hubs and brakes I have them available. They are stock components so its really not worth it to ship... but if youre local and need them let me know as you can just have them.

• Like 1

After some thought and some talking to John, Im going to be running cut Dodge D50 springs in the rear. I wont ever need the adjustability of coilovers so Im going pick up the springs and just make sure that Im running a good set of rear shocks. That will free up a few dollars to devote to other places in the build. Im not cheap, but no need to frivolously spend money if I dont have to.

• Like 1

Looking good! I kinda like the yellow stripes, it's a nice accent. With all black tires I think it would look sweet!

The yellow is nice, but not with the white. So I guess that becomes an either or...

I feel the same way. I personally prefer the white over the yellow so more than likely Im going to be blacking out the rims. I just havent figured out the proper way that I want to do it yet.

I'm going to refinish them before I mount them. They are spray painted silver from the PO and one rim has some rash. I'm going to have the lips polished, rash fixed, centers powder coated gold, and use all new hardware. I'm getting quotes right now from a few places for the work and since I planned on running a winter set of rims, the Aeros were the cheapest current option since I would be buying them anyway in the future.

I'm going to do the new rims right and it's going to take some time. That's where the Aeros and current tires come in. I can't wait to mount the SSRs... I should have them on before Canby though.

After some thought and some talking to John, Im going to be running cut Dodge D50 springs in the rear. I wont ever need the adjustability of coilovers so Im going pick up the springs and just make sure that Im running a good set of rear shocks.

Balling on a budget? Some nice $20 Monroes to suit a mid-80s Camaro. :thumbup:

On www.rockauto.com they show the basic Monroe-matic (MONROE Part # 20867) for $10.27, and the Monroe Sensa-Trac (MONROE Part # 5867) for $19.72.

To really step up your game, basic KYB GR-2 (KYB Part # 343211) for $20.89, and the upscale KYB Gas-Adjust (KYB Part # KG5562) for $35.79.

True baller? Adjustable KYB (KYB Part # 743019) for $94.79. B)