Minty Fresh 510

Tristin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a great wiki, thanks for the link. Im sure that I can work through that... Im not automotively inept. Whats with the Datsunlandsocal boycot? Its mos def cheaper than where I was looking by about $70 bucks.

He has been rude on the forum, but not in real life, still gets his orders out, rubber is fine with the exception of the Windshield or Back window. Buy those from Scott's rubber or Datsport. Its really a forum thing (that he created). I would still buy from him...

As for the heater, make sure the valve is open. Also make sure to back flush the heater core. I disconnected my heater lines and then connected the hose to the lines. Ran til the water was clear both directions. Currently my heater is perma on (fan off) and it creates crazy heat, I often open the dash vents to cool off.

Ill check that out, thanks. Im taking it down to a friend that owns a shop. Were going to give it the once over. I dont have the tools or space where Im at right now to dive in as much as I would like.

I just ordered two sets of seals.

He has been rude on the forum, but not in real life, still gets his orders out, rubber is fine with the exception of the Windshield or Back window. Buy those from Scott's rubber or Datsport. Its really a forum thing (that he created). I would still buy from him...

He left me a fucking rude ass voicemail complete with threats! It was because he read an email I sent him as if there was some sort of tone that offended him or some bullshit, it was a misunderstanding. He's a little sensitive. He did give me a free t shirt and a free key chain to compensate however

Spent a few hours at my buddies shop (www.boss-innovations.com) to check out some of the issues. Unfortunately we couldnt replicate the stalling issue and since neither of us know anything about carbs, we didnt figure it out. Im going to open the hood tomorrow or this weekend and see if I cant figure it out. I did fix the ignition so it no longer twists... Turns out the bezel was just loose. I added some sealant (similar to RTV) and tightened it back down. We swept out the interior- found 25 cents- and reinstalled the carpet. It was in great condition with only a medium sized hole. Im going to keep the original carpet and just clean it up. It could use a thorough cleaning, but its in great shape. Last I removed the bumper stops for a cleaner look and now theyre just chillin' in my parts box.

6810106711_7890da2584_z.jpg

6810107307_b8b768fb62_z.jpg

Also, whomever talked crap about the sunroof wins an e-cookie. Its in decent shape... except for the part where its fully caulked in. I tried to open it because it was a nice drive, and couldnt... I thought I was sally-fisting it, but once I got it in the shop and took a look at it; I saw this:

6810109305_b0bc6939c1_z.jpg

Yeah I didnt realize it was sealed until I looked on the outside. I figured it was just hard to open since it was old. FML. I dont know what Im going to do about it... Im going to try and scrape the sealant away from the glass and try to save it.

What is the preferred method of removing the weathersealing residue? More doors currently look like this:

6810109693_e384b1a172_z.jpg

and I dont want to just scrape the crap off (along with the paint). Any recommended gunk remover?

I couldnt find any NOS replacements for my cracked rear tailight lens, but during the hunt I found Mexican repro's on Ebay. They look correct and were really cheap so hopefully they work out. I will report my findings when I receive and install them. Shipping from Mexico was a lot longer than normal shipping so they will be here in a couple weeks.

So the weather seals showed up today, my backseat cover solution has shipped, and I got an email saying that my lenses made it into the country (since I bought them from a Mexican Ebay member). My parts collection is ever increasing. Ive done a bit of searching around, and for smaller parts Im looking at... its going to cost me about $1000 unless I get a few parts used. Over all not too bad.

9205399612_9d0aede43f_c.jpg

And my FSM showed up so let the learning begin!

Another good update I think:

I came into a decent chunk of money this morning. My taxes came back to me and here in a few days Im hoping to receive my enlistment bonus (I just got out of a six year tour as a submariner and Im re-enlisting in the Reserves). Anyway, figured it was a good time to pick up a good sized present for the car and bought a set of rims. Here in a week of transit time, I will be able to rock a set of staggered SSR at 15x7's and 15x8's. I still need to find suitable tires as well as roll the wheel wells, but this is a start.

They are currently a silver center with previously polished lip. Im going to repaint the centers and try to polish the lips myself. It should be a pretty easy process.

Since the rear seat does not have a vinyl cover, I needed to find a way to cover it without spending a bunch of money on reupholstery. Im not at that stage yet in this build, but wanted to let people sit in the back without ruining my foam. That solution should be here on Thursday. Most of this is be done next week sometime. Tim (RaptorReed) with his Galant coupe, is coming down to spend the week working in the shop together, so all of these parts Im amassing will be installed then. It should be a pretty big change compared to the way that it looks now. Stay tuned for those pictures as there will be quite a few.

Unfortunately the backseat in the Datto wasnt the best. The previous owner said it was a POS so he took over the vinyl cover to have it redone. Well that never happened... so now I have a foam and filler backseat that Im scared to ruin. ALl this means I have to rock the car as a two-seater and cant put anything in the back. The seat itself (save the cover) is in great condition and I want to keep it that way. It looks like this:

9205399888_783f315e01_c.jpg

A little dirty, but foam is perfect.

I figured I wanted to recover the seat, but I want to do all the seats in the same style and dont have the money to do that yet. What am I to do?! I had a fantastic idea born in my heritage as a mexican Southern Californian and decided to purchase a new cover in a color that matched the car. Now I give you this:

9205400162_62795f272b_c.jpg

9205400456_f6400c227d_c.jpg

Its not the most elegant solution, but it works. It allows me to have people in the seat and put groceries etc without the threat of ruining the foam. Now I can just wash the blanket instead of trying to wash foam and weird hay filler. Its not perfect yet, as its kind of loosely held on there, but I think Im going to buy some of those elastic sheet stays to stretch it a little tighter and make sure it staying in postion. For $30 I think it will be great.

Yeah, I have to find a good way to secure it to the frame while being easy enough to take apart so that I can wash it for cleanliness and the ability to shrink it down a little if it sags. I dont plan on rocking this forever, but just until I get reupholstered seats. Then again once I secure it properly it might look good enough to keep even after new seats. I might fold it up and just lay it across the top of the backseat.

Received a package in the mail yesterday (picked it up today) and now I can charge my iPhone in the car and turn my windshield wipers on easier. I now have a new knob for the switch and a cigarette lighter... I dont smoke, but every time I go on cruises my phone dies because I have to use it for directions and music. The radio doesnt work so I have to rock Pandora on the phone. Anyway, not a ginormous update but an update none-the-less.

So Im randomly surfing the Interwebz looking at Google Images for certain images of 510's. I see one thats the same color as mine and since I have never seen another the same color Im interested. Looking at the photos, the car is from the same state, Oregon. I look at my plates and turns out its the same exact car. These photos were taken in 2010 for a blog called Old Parked Cars. You can view the entry here.

1969+Datsun+510+Sedan+4+Door+Automatic+Bluebird+1600+4.jpg

1969+Datsun+510+Sedan+4+Door+Automatic+Bluebird+1600+3.jpg

1969+Datsun+510+Sedan+4+Door+Automatic+Bluebird+1600+2.jpg

1969+Datsun+510+Sedan+4+Door+Automatic+Bluebird+1600+1.jpg

I just thought it was interesting. Nothing real too new to report until I actually have the parts, but I did get confirmation numbers for the shipping on the rims I bought and I bought another set of items that should hopefully be here for the meet/cruise this weekend. Ill give out more info once I get everything in the mail, which I think will be cutting it close because I believe everything is suppose to show up Friday.

I saw that one months ago and was *almost* going to buy it and he was willing to deliver it to me but I couldn't justify the price after seeing the body flaws and honestly I personally couldn't see past that sun roof! Well that and I found something else local to me so it was a no brainer for me. It is pretty clean overall, funny how he maid no mention of the seats being all ratty to me when I asked about the interior's condition! LOL.

If it didn't have that sun roof I probably wouldn't have waffled on it and bought it, but glad it's in good hands now!

Provide us more pics!!!

Here's some pics he sent me:

frontpassenger.jpg

frontdriver.jpg

door.jpg

back.jpg

Nice ride.