Minty Fresh 510

Tristin

How you know what offset wheeels are going to fit on your car? struts ect....?

Your rushing to fast on this and not researching what is really needed.

15x7s barely fit if to big a tire and your putting on 8s

Hope you know what your doing.

Do this right the first time so you dont have to buy more wheels later or use spacers ect...

best to buyt the right stuff the first time. I hate seeing people spend more money trying to get soemthing to fit that they got FREE

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The wheels I bought were previously on a 510, though I fully expect that I may have to roll my fenders or use a bit of neg. camber. I appreciate the concern, but I shall have to see once I get them... Luckily it's only wheels that I bought and I'm not "rushing" into a 2JZGTE swap or something crazy hard and expensive.

Hopefully all goes to plan, if not then I'll learn a valuable lesson I guess.

I put 15x7 0 offset with 195/50s and I had to beat the hell out of my car to get them to fit in the rear and my car is really low so the camber did help. My fender are rolled also but that's not where it hits its where the door jam comes around.

Good to know. These are positive offset so that should help...

He works on everything really... A lot of DSMs go through the shop, but hes got the knowledge to do everything. Hes had two Mk IV Supras, hes building a Hachi for drift season, hes got a 74 Celica waiting to be restored, and just had a Mercedes in there for a general tune-up service. Hes really knowledgeable on basically any car (though only EFI it seems), has amazing fabrication skills, and an all around stand-up guy.

I just built him that website actually so hes still getting things situated with it. Theres not much info on it, but with his busy schedule its hard for him to keep updating it. Lucky hes started to pick up with it and I hound him all the time.

So I ran into a bit of a problem this morning with my Datto. I go to pick up some lunch for me and the little girl and the car starts, but after I let it idle to warm up it decides to die. Now, when I picked up the car I was warned that I shouldnt get too low on gas or else the car might think its on E even though its not (though that was a trick my parents use to play on my when I first started driving dry.gif)... So Ive been watching the gauge and it seemed like I was fine. Putting the car to ACC gives me just under 1/4 tank, but it still seems like the engine is fuel starved. The car is parked on a slight hill with the engine lower than the tank. Ive never owned a mechanical fuel pump vehicle, so Im not sure if thats the issue. I know on previous cars Ive had, that if I was low on gas and parked on a hill, it may not get gas.

Two questions:

1). Does this sound like my problem?- the slight hill will low gas.

2). Would a Walbro 255lph fuel pump solve my issues?

Are you still running the stock Hitachi carb? If the fuel bowl is filled when you start the car it should have enough to at least get you moved off of a hill (if that's the problem)

I know that my 510 (stock hitachi and all) always feels like it runs better the more gas there is in the tank, but it may just be my imagination. The other thing I've noticed driving mine around is that the fuel gauge always seems to think that the second half of my tank has twice the distance as the first half. I've been told that that's just how the old fuel gauges work.

If you think that there's something wrong with the fuel pump you can always do a quick vacuum check on the old mechanical ones, just push the lever that butts up against the crank and put your finger at the end of the nozzle and if there's suction it works! If you are still running the original fuel pump that was on the car stock (the Nikki one) it may just be clogged and cruddy on the inside, so you'd effectively be running on the fuel bowl in the carb. That's how mine was when I first started driving it. I've since replaced the fuel pump (and blew the gas line) and it runs like a dream (except on low fuel, which I may just be imagining).

when ever your not getting fuel. always check filter first.

even if its brand new you could have shit in your tank ect.

and its just general practice to start checking the easiest and cheapest things off the list first when diagnosing.

more often then not most general problems are related to filters/tune up items, old wiring or tuning.

I was thinking of going with a plastic 16gal fuel cell, wally 255, Fuel Lab FPR/filter, and and all Russell ProClassic lines. Its a big much right now, but it will give me better fuel regularity, a higher capacity tank for cruises, and gets rid of all the old rusty gunked up stock lines. Plus I will bea ready for any future power adders I may decide to throw a the car. It might be too early in the build for these kinds of upgrades.

Also, the angle may have been just right to allow fuel to return to the tank. Pumps can do that after awhile (old). I once came back to my car and killed the battery trying to get it to start, fuel had gone back. Sadly the second to last attempt to start before requiring a jump the car caught, but died.

Yeah, that was my main troubleshooting without pulling the car apart. I figured with tired fuel system and the angle... I wasnt getting any gas. Ill check it in the morning and see what I come up with. Time to break out the Haynes and find the filter.

Time to break out the Haynes and find the filter.

cmon dude .... really? lol

just look in your bay and youl see it.

if its still in the stock location is clipped in the front pass corner of the bay right behind your headlight.

or just follow the fuel lines, it sits inline before the pump.

lol "tired"

replace all rubber fuel lines,filter, and take the tank out to pressure wash the inside. order a sending unit o ring from nissan before starting. replace all clear vapor lines too. blow compressed air through all lines!!!

one of the best under $30 preventative maintenance you can do

Well, after a bit of fucking Sherlock Holmes action the car was out of gas. Its not completely my fault as the gauge still read 1/4 tank when on ACC. I looked at the sight glass on the carb and it looked empty. I gave the car a shake and saw no change in level so I walked to the gas station and picked up some gas. Upon filling up the tank I lost the plastic filler hose in the tank (luckily the gas shouldnt eat through it), but it was enough to start the car after a little pedal pumping. Made it down to the gas station and filled her up. The car had gas, I had a Jones Soda, and all was right with the World.

Looks like the it was either the Hill from Hell that was throwing off my gauge or the float is all sorts of fucked. Looks like I will just have to make sure theres always at least half a tank until I decide how I want to upgrade the fuel system in the future. Thanks for all the help guys.

While looking though the glove box after I got home, I found a bunch of receipts in a folder... among other things, the fuel pump and fuel filter are brand new. So although I checked them, neither should have been at fault.

Fucking hill. dry.gif

Looks like the it was either the Hill from Hell that was throwing off my gauge or the float is all sorts of fucked. Looks like I will just have to make sure theres always at least half a tank until I decide how I want to upgrade the fuel system in the future.

FWIW, this is a pretty common problem (at least for me). Had three 510s that the gauge would only go down to 1/4, then just sit there. As you said, I just got in the habit of filling it up as soon as I hit 1/4. Never tried to fix it. :P

FWIW, this is a pretty common problem (at least for me). Had three 510s that the gauge would only go down to 1/4, then just sit there. As you said, I just got in the habit of filling it up as soon as I hit 1/4. Never tried to fix it. :P

At least I know its a common issue. I hope its the tank float and not the cluster... Im going to be switching out to a fuel cell and wally 255 down the road so its going to suck if I do all this work and it still only registers to a 1/4 tank.