Minty Fresh 510

Tristin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least I know its a common issue. I hope its the tank float and not the cluster... Im going to be switching out to a fuel cell and wally 255 down the road so its going to suck if I do all this work and it still only registers to a 1/4 tank.

Autometer fuel gauge? They also make a universal sender for it, for when the cell goes in. :cool:

Universal sender: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-3262/

Gauge: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-4314/

I've used both with good success.

Received a bunch of packages today in the mail; Im pretty exciting. Unfortunately, none of the stuff I got I can use yet. I got my rims (but I still need tires, new studs pressed in, and my fenders rolled), I received GL tail lights (but I have to refinish them and install), and I got the Mexi-repro lenses for the stock tail lights (but I sold the tail lights that they go with). I will say that the reproduction lenses look and feel great. They look basically OEM so Im very happy with purchase. If youre in the market for brand new lenses, hit me up and I can pass along his Ebay info. I have plans to possibly powdercoat the rims or at least paint them if its too expensive right now. They also have a little rash on them that I need to get take care of.

Pictures of all work to come.

Tomorrow is my first meet with the car down in Tacoma so hopefully she holds together for the tourney down there.

Just a few pictures to back up the previous post:

Here are the rims that I received that will go on as soon as I can find some suitable rubber:

9209712659_8c3432c80f_c.jpg

Within these boxes are a set of GL tail lights and replacement lenses for the stock tail lights:

9202614003_4d50f8ea75_c.jpg

I was suppose to head down to Tacoma to meet up with a bunch of guys, but while picking up supplies at Home Depot the car started to act weird. I didnt want to take my chances so I called off driving down there unti lI could check it out. Instead I decided to refinish the tail lights back to they way they originally looked. They were in great condition, but unfortunately they were a bit weathered. Anyway, here are some oics:

Before:

9202615477_fafb6543bb_c.jpg

After:

9205406134_b5acfa11b2_c.jpg

You can view my write-up of the procedure here: http://tinyurl.com/84a58px

It's taken a bit to get used to, but I think I'm managing the changes from new to old. Didn't know you couldn't run an electric file pump on a carb'd vehicle. More than likely I'm going to be waiting until I do whatever engine swap I decide (which will be EFI). I'll take a few snaps of the rims once I'm done working on the weather seals.

It's taken a bit to get used to, but I think I'm managing the changes from new to old. Didn't know you couldn't run an electric file pump on a carb'd vehicle. More than likely I'm going to be waiting until I do whatever engine swap I decide (which will be EFI). I'll take a few snaps of the rims once I'm done working on the weather seals.

you CAN run an electric fuel pump in a carbed motor, just not a walbro. carbed vehicles are very low fuel pressure compared to injected.

from experience, just leave the mechanical pump on there. your motor is stock with a stock carb and there would be zero benefit from an electric pump.

and yeah, i wanna see those wheels!!!! :D

Thats what I figured about the pump. Im not looking to change it now, my only concern was the lack of fuel delivery which has already been solved. As requested, heres whats inside the boxes:

(Left is going on the front and right is going on the back)

6905949081_13ce718656_z.jpg6905947275_a468a88e86_z.jpg

*Note: they are both 15's

They have a bit of rash on one of them and the paint isnt the best in the center. Im thinking of taking them to a place to have the rash fixed, the centers powdercoated, new hardware, and the barrels polished. It might be a pretty penny, but I think it will be worth it to have them looking their best when I finally go to put them on.

Thanks Doug. Im really excited for the prospect of cleaning them up and mounting them. It might be a bit though, I have some mechanical issues to tackle first. Over the last couple days (this morning included) its has been idling like complete garbage. This morning while leaving the house, the car had no umph at all. I had the pedal floored and was doing about 5 mph on flat ground. It finally kicked into overdrive and cleared itself up. It was weird. Driving around town idle was still crap. I ran some errands and on the way home the car drove perfect. No crap idle, no stalling, nothing... really weird. Im taking the car down to Doug tomorrow, and we shall see how it acts in the morning. Interesting to see if it randomly cleared up. Im sure Doug can kick the cars ass into making it run correctly.

I just thought I would share the weird workings of this morning. My errands this morning included taking my dog to the vet. Here she is sitting in the back while I bought lunch:

6912145257_9119a46d41_b.jpg

Well I got to meet Tristan today & see his cool lil 69 4 door dime. What a lil sweetie. :cool: THE CAR THAT IS! LoL :P We went & bot a new 195 t-stat & some SeaFoam fuel treatment. Popped the t-stat cover off & found out why his heater wasnt working very good, no T-stat @ all :huh: Put the new 1 in gapped the plugs, & checked the valve lash.

Then we spent the next 5 hours trying 2 figure out why it wouldnt start! :angry: Finally rewired the coil according to the manual & bang! She ran :D Timed it & added the seafoam.

I was done for the night. Tristan took off. I hope he made it home?!

• Like 3

Well I got to meet Tristan today & see his cool lil 69 4 door dime. What a lil sweetie. :cool: THE CAR THAT IS! LoL :P We went & bot a new 195 t-stat & some SeaFoam fuel treatment. Popped the t-stat cover off & found out why his heater wasnt working very good, no T-stat @ all :huh: Put the new 1 in gapped the plugs, & checked the valve lash.

Then we spent the next 5 hours trying 2 figure out why it wouldnt start! :angry: Finally rewired the coil according to the manual & bang! She ran :D Timed it & added the seafoam.

I was done for the night. Tristan took off. I hope he made it home?!

I really want to thank you for the work you did this afternoon... even though you broke my car for five hours tongue.gif We eventually figured it out and I got back home. I know the work we did (though mostly you) made a huge difference. Unfortunately, the stalling is still an issue when the choke isnt in the 1/4" sweet spot, but she seems to run a lot better in general. Im hoping that when the seaform goes through it, it will clean a lot more crap out of it. Man... adding a thermostat to the car made the heater spit out dragons breath through the vents. I was nice and toasty on the way home.

Slowly but surely the car is getting better. You were a great help today and thanks for dinner! Next time I come down we have to go to the Roach Coach again... so delicious.

So as Ive already written, Doug and I worked on the car the other day and during that experience I got to ride in his blue goon. Its a pretty legit ride and as we came blazing out of the parts store, I knew I needed more power. No longer do I want to rock the granny speed. Ive started talking to Doug and were going to be building a L20b to throw in the green beast. We have a block and head, but I still need to buy all the bits and pieces to make it complete. This will be a good hold off for power and such while I decide on my preferred SR build. For price and ease of swap, this will be a great engine to work with for awhile. I cant wait to start this with Doug (and his vicious beast Zippy the Shiba).

If anyone has a L20b 6bolt flexplate/flywheel for sale, I could use it for my auto. Also, anyone local is, if I could borrow some of the more specialized build tools( ring compressor, spring compressor, toque wrenches) I would appreciate it. Id rather not have to buy them.

To restate my previous posts, Im so glad to have my heater working now that the car has a thermostate. I still cant believe it didnt have one in there... Now my girlfriend will ride int he car because she wont freeze.

Doug knows how to do this

But what happen to your Super mechanic buddy ?remeber my earlier statement?"I notice guys that work on new cars CANT work on old cars.."

But remember he and I been in the Datsun Bussiness along time and seen guys come get all the help and 6months later sell there shit off and get a WRX.

I help a guy a few days ago. He only come around when the shit breaks otherwise hes nowhere to be seen and doesnt go on the computer to finnihs off his own questions. Driving over on his BMW 5 series then super lowballing me for a part he needs now. I told him to buy new. Hes car is way nicer than even mine but in 2 yrs it will be smashed or sold. I dont want to help him anymore.

L20s go good enough. Get soem mikunis carbs then work on getting a carport built and dont leave that car out in the street and buy a spare car if this is a daily driver.

• Like 1

Well Doug has been helping me out a lot because of his Datsun specific knowledge. I still plan on going to my buddy David for a lot of things. He will be doing the body paint, probably the new interior, stereo setup, etc. Doug and I will be doing the build together and I could use David, but it would turn out to be only him putting it together. I want to get my hands dirty as well. I don't want to just throw money at the car... I want to build the car. I mean come on, it's my car, why wouldn't I put work into it. The only thing my buddy doesn't know is carb stuff, everything else he's good with. I don't plan on being a broke car friend. I've offered a couple times to be a second set of hands reassembling Doug's truck (which is gorgeous btw). I'd like to give back.

Well, I went to do work on the car today and I got snowed out. I guess I Sally-wristed the radiator hose from the last re-install and I had some coolant loosed into the engine bay. I stopped for gas and saw that something under the hood was smoking. I popped the hood and noticed that it was a little fresh coolant on the block. I watched my temps on the way home and prepared to wait a few until the engine cooled so I can handle all the radiator. Anyway, got sick... then snow. At least since Im sick Im not driving anywhere so the car is fine.

I have another painting project I wanted to knock-out, but now its too cold and wet so I have to wait it out. Im hoping that I get over this fever soon so I can get back to working. Fixing the car was the only thing keeping me sane while not working. It was filling my time.