Minty Fresh 510

Tristin

Im not really on a budget... I just dont want to blow money sensuously. Ill check out those shocks and see what I think will work for my application. Now that Ive actually been working on it and installing parts for the project, Im pretty happy with it. Im excited to see where it goes. My goal is to get quite a bit done before Canby so I can show up in style since its my first one. We shall see though because I dont want to rush anything.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow I have an orthodontics appointment for bottom braces, but after that I shall be headed to work on the car. Ill be in the shop tomorrow so I get to have a dry space to paint my hubcaps no matter the weather. Luckily, other than the paint being worn they are in really good condition. Thanks Doug!

I have the stripper and paint, but what is a good metal polish? I dont need anything crazy expensive as they are only hubcaps on a non-pristinely painted car, but would like something at least decent. Whats everyones choice?

I have the stripper and paint, but what is a good metal polish? I dont need anything crazy expensive as they are only hubcaps on a non-pristinely painted car, but would like something at least decent. Whats everyones choice?

Cheap and simple? #0000 steel wool.

Still cheap, but more labor intensive? Brasso. Available at any hardware store.

FWIW, the steel wool will usually also remove the paint on them. ;)

It comes in grades #0, #00, #000, and #0000, with #0 being the coarsest and #0000 the finest. Anything coarser than #0000 will leave minor scratches in the chrome.

Im a little upset that I wasnt able to work on my hubcaps today as I spent most of working hours running around the few junkyards/PnPs here in Tacoma. Between that and the office work here I didnt get a chance to even pull them out of my trunk. Im hoping that I can do it tomorrow. Oh well... life happens.

Ill check out the wool and Mothers.Im sure that will work out well.

No. I partially snapped them in to make sure that they would work with the new rims, but I havent fully inserted them yet. I doubt you will be able to see much of it if anything. Thats why Im not too worried about it.

Tonight is going to be a late night for me, but Im finishing up a few things on the 4dr. before Golden Gardens tomorrow. Ive already stripped the paint off the hubcaps, and they are currently in the dishwasher being cleaned and the stripper neutralized. After that I think I have just enough paint to give them two coats. I moved the car into the garage since the girlfriend is at school right now and I will be cleaning it out. There were a bunch of leaves and pine needles in the air vents so now they are all over the floor. She should be good to go tomorrow for her first real meet.

Although I tried hard to mask the rings adequately, they did not come out as clean as I wanted. I left that at home when I went to the GG meet and this morning I re-stripped them to try again. I went out to pick up some lunch and wanted to see how well just the bare aluminum would look on the car. I mounted all four of them and when I pulled out of my driveway, one went rolling down the road. Unfortunately, my hunger over-powered my want for the hubcaps so I just took them off and got a burrito.

Ill re-bend the teeth on them so that they bite a little better. Im going to have to think of a better way to get cleaner edges so that I can fully recondition the hubcaps back to OEM status.

Oh! And to the question posted earlier about how much yellow is seen when the caps are mounted: all of it. None of the caps cover the yellow pin stripping so theres that. I just transferred a bunch of money from my PayPal account (from helping Tim pick up his wagon) and once that shows up in my account I will be buying new shocks and springs for the rear. After all the driving around Seattle and their shitty roads, I need to take care of the rear end of my car. I dont want to chance the rubbing any longer if Im going to be taking it out much.

Time to work on the Spring/Summer wheels:

I was weighing my options on what I wanted to do to get the real rims for the car up to par. Ive mentioned earlier that they had a little rash and the centers were painted silver. Since I didnt want silver and the paint was pretty worn, I figured I would change it up. I was waiting to have the funds to powder coat the centers, fix the rash, and buy all new hardware. Well, turns out Spring has started and I dont have those funds right now. I did a bit of thinking and Im going to leave the rash (its not much), buy new hardware, and spray paint the centers myself. Then when Winter hits and I switch back to the black Aeros, I will get these done correctly.

Rims laid out on the porch:

9209723285_be6cbe7fd6_c.jpg

9212506866_c55c2e06b4_c.jpg

9212506558_7107d93840_c.jpg

I just did one pass on the first rim and its going to need a second pass. This is going to take longer than I thought, but your final work is only as good as your prep work. Maybe I will take them to work tomorrow.

Ahh...wheel resto...labor of love!

When picking up new hardware, make sure your bolts clear the calipers. Those SSR bolts probably have low profile heads on them.

Engine paint (Duplicolor in particular) works great to paint those centers!

• Like 1

Yeah, a lot of guys try to flip the bolts so the nuts face the inside, but that will foul the caliper most of the time. It does on ZX struts. Then again these are 15's so they might clear, but just check anyway.

Are those all the same size/offset? Are you going to run the II's on one side and the III's on the other? That would be cool!

I'm really happy to see authentic wheels going on this car. I get real happy when I see SSR's going on 510's. :thumbup:

BTW, those SSR bolts are cool- they say "Speed Star" in Japanese on the bolt heads. You might see about wire brushing the bolts if they aren't rusted through, maybe a quick spray of engine paint on them to keep them from getting rusty again. Just get some new flanged nuts. That will save you some cash too because those bolts in cad finish or stainless might add up quickly.

Yeah, a lot of guys try to flip the bolts so the nuts face the inside, but that will foul the caliper most of the time. It does on ZX struts. Then again these are 15's so they might clear, but just check anyway.

Are those all the same size/offset? Are you going to run the II's on one side and the III's on the other? That would be cool!

I'm really happy to see authentic wheels going on this car. I get real happy when I see SSR's going on 510's. :thumbup:

BTW, those SSR bolts are cool- they say "Speed Star" in Japanese on the bolt heads. You might see about wire brushing the bolts if they aren't rusted through, maybe a quick spray of engine paint on them to keep them from getting rusty again. Just get some new flanged nuts. That will save you some cash too because those bolts in cad finish or stainless might add up quickly.

They are all 15's, but the mkIIs are 7 inches wide whereas the mkIIIs are 8 inches wide. I will be running the mkIIs on the front of the vehicle with the wider mkIIIs on the rear. Ill take a look at the bolts and see if they are original and will clean up. That would be nice to save a few bucks as well as have some better looking ones. Yeah, I like legit rims as well. I think Im going to be pretty happy with these when I get them finished.

I like different SSRs on the front and back. Like the IIs on the front and the IIIs in back, makes it look like a time-trial bike.

Thats the plan!

tristin pull the centers i will powdercoat them and u can use ratsun credit....just pic a color and give me a week..we can worry about funds later.....my threads have some of the shit we do here at the shop...shit we powdercoated a 521 we can do most anything... theres some pics of candy rims we did... colors are unlimited...

just no more calling wheels gross ....

• Like 1

tristin pull the centers i will powdercoat them and u can use ratsun credit....just pic a color and give me a week..we can worry about funds later.....my threads have some of the shit we do here at the shop...shit we powdercoated a 521 we can do most anything... theres some pics of candy rims we did... colors are unlimited...

just no more calling wheels gross ....

PMd.