Minty Fresh 510

Tristin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, so me being a retard, I deleted a bunch of project photos out of my Flickr which means that I broke all the links to the ones that I had posted all over the forums and in this build thread. Luckily I could restore them from an old HDD so that I could re-upload them. I just spent about an hour uploading them, and editing all the pictures back into this thread. I hate when I go into peoples threads and all the picture links are broken... so I didnt want to do that to anyone who wants to review my build. I really only did it here eventhough I have this thread on a few other forums. Fuck 'em... I only care about Ratsun.

Went to work today and met BananaHammock in person. We traded some parts. I would have installed them today except a friend had a baby today so I spent the evening in the hospital. While leaving work I was being paced by an Escalade in the lane next to me. They get me to roll down the window and I assumed I had my trunk open, or something was dangling from my car. Everyone in the Escalade was a hardcore black thug. I was in a sketch part of the neighborhood so I was a bit nervous. Giant Escalade... tiny Datsun. Anyway, they asked me if my car was for sale because they loved it. I said no thank you but I appreciated the offer. They gave me the smile of deep approval and sped off.

Yeah, it was a pretty cold yesterday, hence the heavy clothing ..As you may notice by the oics my friend Charlie was "excited" to meet you also. ....Well,, not his real name but i call him that because he is Vietnamese.

And i was good to finally meet you a few weeks ago also ...Jon

see what i did there?

tristin pull the centers i will powdercoat them and u can use ratsun credit....just pic a color and give me a week..we can worry about funds later.....my threads have some of the shit we do here at the shop...shit we powdercoated a 521 we can do most anything... theres some pics of candy rims we did... colors are unlimited...

just no more calling wheels gross ....

This is why I love this forum - probably the kindest people in the history of car forums.

Wheels look good, Tristin!

So Im getting pretty tired of the L16... its a gutless wonder and its not performing like I want/need it to. Its horrible going up hills, it barely jumps into traffic, and since the GG meet seems to smoke a little. Im itching to L18 and peanut swap to get a little more oomph in my driving. A friend of mine is thinking about just giving our shop a KA since its just sitting around his place... maybe I will think about that. Either way I need something. Coming home on the freeway my speedometer was acting crazy. It seems to work good up to about 40... then I think after that its about 10mph off since I get passed by every car while Im doing 60mph (per the gauge), and then at about 70 the needle goes crazy and jumps everywhere. Thats normal for me, but yesterday the needle jumped all over and was about about stuck around the 100mph area, even while going 30mph. Im hoping its the cable loose or something.

If you look at my first post in this thread where I listed my future plans, I originally wanted ITBs... always been a fan. If the KA isnt garbage when its dropped off, I may scoop it up. We shall see. I also have a connection for a secret engine that may one day wind up in the 510. We shall see though. Me and a buddy are still working on the specifics.

I appreciate the video as it still gives a small drive for ITBs.

This is why I love this forum - probably the kindest people in the history of car forums.

Wheels look good, Tristin!

ha u dont know me ....He dropped them off today ... and there mne... check my wagon thread for pics of me rolling on them....white collar crime...alright i kid....j/k

ha u dont know me ....He dropped them off today ... and there mne... check my wagon thread for pics of me rolling on them....white collar crime...alright i kid....j/k

<_<

JK! Youre doing me a ginormous favor doing this for me, so if you have to model them on the wagon for an afternoon I could look the other way. Man, I cant wait to get these back and see your handy-work.

2eDeYe' timestamp='1333552263' post='666016']

Love the plate frame :cool:

I bought the same plate frame and got it on a couple days ago. So awesome haha

Yeah, I love it. I forgot how much I like having frames on both plates... it doesnt look as ghetto. Plus, I guess it looks better because the plates are brand new as well.

Luckily mine isnt too bad, but I need a nut for the second bolt on the front. Luckily I can screw the one down enough to keep it tight on there. I wanted a pair of matching frames and didnt want to miss out incase they all sold. I need to clean up the back license plate panel... its dented in so I have to pull it out. Then weld up the light holes and drill into the bumper to mount my new light. Then its finisher panel time! Then the rear will be completed.

So driving to a work thing this morning, the engine started sputtering... it was fine with no gas going down the street, but as soon as you started giving it some gas it would get all crazy idle on me. I couldnt get the car above 50mph and I was on the freeway (60mph limit). I got on surface streets and babied it the rest of the way. I had an appointment I couldnt miss so I had to go the distance; I didnt have time to call a cab and no one was close enough to give me a ride. I had these same exact symptoms a couple weekends ago which is what made me miss the last Graffiti Garage meet. I thought it was bad gas that weekend because I had just filled it up at a place I dont normally. Needless to say, it fixed itself.

So back to today, I get out of my appointment and as Im going home I get the same symptoms and now I cant break 35mph. Cars are lined up behind me as Im going super slow and sputtering down the street. I pull off safely and start to do some investigating. I figure its a fuel issue and look at the carb sight glass- barely any gas. I check the fuel filter- barely any gas. I open my trunk and I almost pass out from the fumes. Ive been watching my gas gauge a lot lately because it seems that empty shows 1/4 on the gauge. Ive been doing a lot of math to see what my mpg is and I feel like I should be getting a lot more. The car has smelled like gas for awhile now, but assumed that it was because of my missing door seals and that Im running a little rich. Well it wasnt.

Turns out my breather hose connected to the filler hose into my tank has come loose. I didnt think it was that important, but apparently it is. I connected it up, drove for about 4 blocks and had the same symptoms again. I checked the hose again and it was apart. I tightened it back up, and down the road I went. So... Im not sure if its supposed to be that important, but Im about 97% sure thats what my issue is.

So looks like I have to find a new longer hose to make sure it stays together.

Another thing might be the problem I a 40+ year old tank. Specially if it sat for a long period of time with out bein ran and had gas in it. Replace the fuel filter. A good indication is if those symptoms mostly show up when your close to empty. It will suck all the shit from the bottom of the tank and really cause problems with drivability.

My wagon was like that when I first got it, ran great with a full tank and ran like dog shit on E.

I replaced the filter and had the tank flushed and cleaned, it only cost me like 60$ and made a huge diff

I might look into that. I have a fresh fuel filter and dont see many particles in it, but it could probably use a good cleaning. Maybe I can do it on a weekend so that I can just let the tank sit out... otherwise it will have to wait since its my daily. A good tank cleaning and line blowdown couldnt hurt. Thanks for the tip!

Rear lowering springs (thanks Banana!), near rear shocks to replace the blown ones, and a bit of a roll. We didnt think the drop would be as significant so we didnt expenct to have to roll the fenders today... well it was required otherwise the car wouldnt drive. Whipped out the bat for a small roll until the Fender Roller we odered shows up and smoother out the lip a little. It still needs a bit of work to be perfect, but we will use the actuall roller for that. Im going to drop the front down another inch since it is now higher than the rear.