Minty Fresh 510

Tristin

Well, my buddy who owns and operates BOSS Innovations down in Tacoma, Wa is having a grand re-opening this Saturday. He recently moved shop locations and is having a big meet of all makes and models this weekend so I figured I would go down and help out with the last minute things to get ready. Anyway, while I was down there he hooked me up with a little metal-work. I ran into a slight problem as there is a small dent in the rear. My new GL lights were mounted with the exception of the finisher plate. Was a pretty easy install with the only exception being the unflat area where the finisher is suppose to be. When I get ready for paint we will pull the dent and install the third piece of the lights.

9209713965_ff7a009e4f_c.jpg

9212498268_caabde71cf_c.jpg

9209714517_bc5f21297d_c.jpg

I really wish the rear of the car was straighter so that I could continue the install, but oh well. Just a few more pieces I have to acquire before I can paint the car...

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I have GLs. Id like a set of SSS but I cant find any LOL. Id be willing to trade these for them, but so far Im really happy with these... Im sure I will like them even more once I get the full set mounted. Theres just so much that has to happen in order to mount these completely.

Bucket holes need to be enlarged about 2 1/2"s towards the center

DATSUN center garnish needs to be removed

License plate lights need to be removed

License plate light holes need to be welded shut

'68 bumper lights has be purchased and installed

'68 bumper needs bought/other years need to be taped for light

So much!

Im just going to rock this for a bit and finish it up when I paint it.

So a little story:

I was perusing Ebay the other day seeing if I could find anything exciting I could get at a good price. Basically, I jump from the US site to the Aussie site and try to steal awesome deals. Dont judge me, I have no life. Anyway, I decided that I wanted a new grille emblem and there was one I wanted to switch to up for auction; it was actually being sold by Mike at Datsunlandsocal. I figured since I wanted a few things from his website I would message him and ask if I could just buy the emblem outright instead of having to wait for the auction to end. He said no. Well, the auction ended with no one else bidding on it (which I expected... I just didnt want to wait for the auction to end) and I got the piece for about half what I would have expected to pay if I got if out right. That will teach him for being a jerk!

The emblem is obviously a repro, but its BNIB so it looks fantastic and I got it for dirt basically. I also bought some more painting supplies to fix up my OEM hubcaps (Does anyone have GL hubcaps they want to sell) and the stock airbox. The weather is a little shitty right now, but the primer is drying on the airbox currently. And incase anyone was wondering... paint stripper foam is caustic. Aparantly I ripped a glove and the foam was on my finger. Burns!

9209714831_300fd34bcf_c.jpg

Also, if you dont read the sightings thread I met a guy in my apartment building with a 280z. He just picked it up a few days ago and hopefully should be joining the site. We shall see.

6801196382_30c2a4b27a_z.jpg

Ill post pictures of the hubcaps and airbox once they are done.

Yeah, I have GLs. Id like a set of SSS but I cant find any LOL. Id be willing to trade these for them, but so far Im really happy with these...

Technically, you already had the SSS tail lights on your car. ;)

But I know you meant Bluebird Coupe lights. :cool:

Beautiful car. A 255LPH Walbro is over kill for a carbed engine. Might want to wait till/if you swap in an efi engine. I think, but am not sure a stock pump moves about 75LPH.

I raise my proverbial glass to you and all the minty freshness that's popping up at your apartment building.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t252/SpudWhitman/1415784050_bfc7e619cd.jpg

Thanks!

What colour will you be painting this car? Please tell me you're keeping it this minty colour!

I havent 100% decided on the color yet... The mint color isnt OEM which I originally thought it was... after further searching, the original color is the same as Jun's wagon. Id like to go back to the orginal color because it keeps the OG factor, but I really love this current color. We shall see when I get closer to the paint phase. I might throw a poll up and see everyones opinion.

So I have a bit of a dilemma. Well, this is actually a two parter lol...

The first is that I want a second set of rims. I currently love the set I have, but they arent ready to go on the car yet. I need tires, I need to fix rash on a rim, Id like the centers powdercoated, etc. They are 15x7/15x8 +10. The set Im looking at right now are 13x6 +15 all around. The good part of these rims is that I can use my current tires to put them on the car. I like this idea because then I dont have to spend more money on tires and I can still rock white walls lol which are legit. My worry with the 13s is that I cant fit the 280zx brakes that are coming on my struts/coilovers. I think I read somewhere that 13s wont clear the bigger brakes. Then Ill have to sell my current rims... So thats part one.

Part two is I just came into a bit of money selling off some things I dont use anymore. I want to buy something nice for the car, but unsure what it should be. Money always burns a hole in my pocket and I dont know what I want. One option is to get my rims refinished and mounted. Im also thinking about getting a roof rack. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!

So Ratsun, what wise wisdom do you have for me?

How bout paying me for the hubcaps or give them back since u aint using them. You can also pay me for the dist. or come get yours back. Then take the rest of de money & start building your motor.

Good call Doug. No, Im going to use the caps. I can come down whenever youre free. Ive been really busy up here... I havent totally forgotten you. You should have called/texted me to get my ass in gear.

Motor has been an option, but I want to make sure I do it right from the start. Since I dont 100% know what I want to do with it, I dont want to start buying parts. I think I know what Im going to do, so Ive been keeping an eye out for any RWD SR20DEs in the area.

Edit: If you have PP I can send some moolah your way right meow.

If you like steel wheels, these guys do custom stuff (so you can get big wide ones) and have the baby moon caps and such, most of their wheels are cheap compared to a new set of the big brand stuff...

http://www.rallyamerica.com/

For the second set (first set if I can sell the current set I own), Im looking at a particular set that is currently for sale... They are another set of old school JDM rims. I think I might be 100% happy with my current ones if I could actually mount them and not use them as a coffee table lol. They are just sitting there.

Pay Doug back

Of Course!

With those whitewalls I would roll the 1st gen hubcabs and slam the car down.Totally acceptable in the 510 world(meaning its still cool)

Thats my plan for right now. The weather is warming up right now (it snowed early this morning) and once it gets to its warmist I will be refinishing the hubcaps. Ill be rocking them until I get the new rims on the car... then when Winter hits, Ill switch back to the stock wheels and caps.

My worry with the 13s is that I cant fit the 280zx brakes that are coming on my struts/coilovers. I think I read somewhere that 13s wont clear the bigger brakes.

In case you're still wondering, you are correct there. The only 13s that clear 280ZX brakes are the steel racing wheels like those from Diamond/Bassett/Bart. Never seen any aluminium 13" wheels that clear, nor stock steelies.

These are Diamonds, 13x7 +0 and they just barely clear the 280ZX brakes.

crap_009s.jpg

I did some more research and figured that out. Man thats going to suck come winter time. Right now its not an issue because I just dont have to install the brakes I received until I put the 15s on. But once I upgrade wheels, Im going to upgrade front brakes too... Then come winter Im going to switch back to the stock steelies and run those so the other rims dont get fucked up. How much of the calipers are in the way of 13s?

How much of the calipers are in the way of 13s?

Stock 13s? All of it. :P

I made it work once. 280ZX brakes, stock wheels, 1.25" spacers, and still had to grind about 2mm off the edge of the caliper. :blink:

Picture_078s.jpg

My car was used in a movie set in 1982 so my 16" Volks had to go in favor of these... :P

IMO, your best bet is digging up some 14" Datsun steelies for your "winter wheels". ;)