Scotsmen tell Datsun Owner jokes.

Any of you guys in the PNW wear Holley Shoes? They are slip on plastic/foam rubber? things with round holes all over the tops for ventilation. They used to be cheap, (mainly because they are cheaply made of about $1.50 worth of materials) but everyone started wearing and liking them and the price jumped from about $15 to $35-$40. I wear mine year round and wore the first pair right through the sole. I'm wearing my spare pair and they are starting to show some use, and being a Datsun owner I naturally want to keep them and keep using them.... forever. So I had this idea...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/nondatsun/myshoes001Large.jpg[/img]"]myshoes001Large.jpg

You see a lot of things on the road side when riding a bike... like this tire tread. Biking also allows lots of time for thought and all that heavy breathing pumps lots of blood and oxygen into your brain. Tires are good for tens of thousands of miles so.. they should be good for more when walking right?

I rolled it up a carried home in my back back. Used my shoe to mark out the pattern and a B&D jigsaw to cut it out. Yes the underside has steel cords layered on it but a metal cutting blade did fine. The wires will give some protection from punctures too.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/nondatsun/myshoes002Large.jpg[/img]"]myshoes002Large.jpg

All cut out rough about 15 min each?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/nondatsun/myshoes005Large.jpg[/img]"]myshoes005Large.jpg

Tried my grinder to smooth the edges. Worked like a charm. Smokes a bit but chews through very fast and makes a nice clean smooth edge just like a work boot.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/nondatsun/myshoes004Large.jpg[/img]"]myshoes004Large.jpg

Got this far today but looking good! Still have to 'glue' them on and let cure. I'm going to try a urethane based rubber adhesive to bond the tire tread to the shoe. Will post the results.

So what do ya think? Will it look like a green approach to recycling? Or will it be a give away and will people stop me and say.. " you probably have a Datsun you don't drive, right?" Maybe I'll start my own cottage industry?

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bitchin idea mike i had a set that a buddy gave me wel his feet were smaller them nime i cut the toe out and best damn pair of sandels ive ever owned thats a good idea if i ever get another set ill "retread" them with some of my spare datto tires

I've heard that name, but these have the name Holey Shoes on them:

http://holeys.com/shop/?cPath=1&osCsid=a703affe0d00e84f1d08990b1ecdac8c

splash_img.jpg

Bloody shoes! A decent runner is over twice what I paid for my first car!! Fuck fashion! These are cheap, easy to get on/off and are comfortable riding or walking. That strap is for women! With truck tire tread it's a Manly shoe now!!!

I have a couple of pairs of those. Mostly wear them around the house. I got a fleece lined set for the winter too. Nice and warm for slippers. My outside pair is wearing out so mybue i will do a retread too. Thanks for the great idea. They charge us a $1 fee to recycle our old tires. Now I will tell them I want to keep them.

By the way, the Croc company is having money trouble. See the story here:

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2009/07/17/the-decline-and-fall-of-crocs/?icid=main|htmlws-sb|dl2|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloggingstocks.com%2F2009%2F07%2F17%2Fthe-decline-and-fall-of-crocs%2F

I've had shoes "retreaded" with semi-truck rubber before (I lived in South America for a few years, 10th parallel south). They're generally stiffer than what you were used to, and a little heavier.

As long as you can properly get the two materials to bond to each other they should last you a very, very long time.

Edited by blue72
Guest DatsuNoob
You just made the world's gayest footwear a lot cooler. :D

LMAO! :lol:, They sell sandals in Mexico with tire tread soles. Great idea, they may even outlive you. Very post-apocalyptic Mad Max style :D. Both green and clever, and you even did a good deed by picking up that tread off the road. Good on ya!

Thanks Mike, that's probably what I was thinking of. I think it's the same stuff that they 'glue' car windshields in with, sort of a liquid rubber that dries tough and flexible.

I just realized I have a stationary belt sander that would shape the curves better than a grindder. Maybe I can use it to rough up the two surfaces before glueing.

On the downside these treads will pick up a lot of dog shit.

by the looks of the left sandal that you got a little toe in prob, before you starting wearing the new retreads, get the alignment done and you should not have probs for quite awhile. :lol:

will you be 4X2ing in those, lots of good tread left.. :D

On the downside these treads will pick up a lot of dog shit.

LOL!! Reminds me of an old Cheech & Chong bit......

.......shortened up a good bit........

smell it.

sniff....

smell like dog shit?

ya..smells like dog shit.

taste it!

taste it???!

ya...taste it.

...lick...

taste like dog shit?

ya...it tastes like dog shit!

...good thing we don't step in it!!

Those things are going to out last you for sure Mike.

When I was a kid in the early '60, my parents packed up the Rambler Cross Country station wagon and went on a road trip to Disneyland and parts South West. We went to Tijuana and played tourista. I got a pair of Huarachie leather sandals that had well worn tire soles stitched to the bottom for like a buck. All the cool surfer dudes in SoCal were wearing them and wasn't there a line in a Beach Boys song about them?

I had those things for like thirty years and they never wore out at all. I use to take them back packing. Hung them on the pack & wore them to ford creeks and wear when we camped instead of boots. Eventually the leather started to deteriorate, but not before I was at some gathering where every body had to take their shoes off to enter this building and somebody ripped them off!

Mike, I looked at doing this same thing to a pair of work boots about ten years ago, but i gave up before i finished. At the time i was working at a tire shop, so my plan was to use the bonding glue that is for patching tires. You might try to get your local tire shop to glue those.;) They just might do it super cheap, realizing how cheap a person might be to try this.:lol: