Homless possessions

I'm retired now and my wife has taken over completely. By that I mean my income is MUCH reduced so she carries that extra load herself. A few times early on I thought the same about extreme old age and how to cope with it. Never want to sell and be cast out on an ocean of unknown newness, want to stay with known. Too old for that shit now. So I let it go and trust things will work out fine. My wife is a financial consultant/adviser with her own busyness. I constantly tell her, or ask her if she is salting away enough for the future. A future that may not have me in it. I worry about her more than myself. I guess she should be able to forecast the financial future somewhat more than me.

Kind of off track here. This was about the strange things the homeless and indigent pack around with them.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hoarding might be why they are homeless. Extreme hoarding can ruin a house. You can just see the hoarding now that they are in public view. My parents have hoarding tendencies and I was able to unload 90 contractor bags of saltwater saturated crap to the curb after hurricane Ian. I just went to their house yesterday for the first time in 6 months, crap is starting to build up again and some stuff that needed to be tossed is still floating around. They are fiscally well off so I think it is safe to say hoarding it is a mental illness.

• Like 2

My wife's uncle is a part time homeless hoarder who has severed ties with the family. He was given the family home in downtown Sac and still managed to lose it. We bought it back for him and then we tried to help, but he has a mental disorder that makes it impossible to deal with basic life. Hoarding is one of the ways he shows his power. To help get the city off his back, we organized a clean up effort with a dumpster and a skid steer. We filled two thirty foot dumpsters with stuff from inside the house and the yard. After that, he lost his license and his truck sop the stuff he would drag home was stuff he could carry on his bike, so worthless junk. I found a prosthetic leg in his garage during one expedition.

I believe it's a show of power. Like this is mine and you can't have it. That's a very simplified way of looking at it. The mental disorder, I believe, came after the hoarding/homelessness, which makes complete sense.

Oh, by the way, the PC term now is "un-housed". Whatever...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Hoarding might be why they are homeless. Extreme hoarding can ruin a house. You can just see the hoarding now that they are in public view. My parents have hoarding tendencies and I was able to unload 90 contractor bags of saltwater saturated crap to the curb after hurricane Ian. I just went to their house yesterday for the first time in 6 months, crap is starting to build up again and some stuff that needed to be tossed is still floating around. They are fiscally well off so I think it is safe to say hoarding it is a mental illness.

I grew up around old folks born mostly from about 1890 to 1918. These folks lived through the great depression and were strong believers in "wear it out before you through it out".  That's a wonderful edict for horsedrawn cast iron walking plows and stock tanks but some of those folks went on to save literally every Styrofoam food container they ever brought home. My greatest fear is that my kids will have to sort and sell the crap I've bought at garage and estate sales after some sweet old widow told me, "Honey, give me $5 & you can take everything you want! My husband kept this junk for years and never did anything with it. You do something with it, okay?". Yes, I can 100% see how hoarding could lead to homelessness.  It's a failure of judgment i guess where a person just cannot differentiate between literal trash and the important things  in life and that scares the hell out of me for......reasons....

I have worked in downtown Seattle and most major cities for the majority of my life. The shit I see the un-housed keeping as Stoffregen says🤣 is truly mind boggling! There was a guy next to the convention center with a collection of desk lamps and no outlets anywhere around... I think most times it comes down to barter or trying to sell their looted items, the hoarding sickness must come into play as well. It makes sense that if you are destitute and have nothing, having ANYTHING makes you feel better.

Where I moved to way up in the mountains of AZ has LOTS of room and past my street a couple miles down the road people own their plots but just seem to collect shit or never throw anything away! It is a special kind of hoarding that I truly do not understand. Keeping stuff around that is going to be broken down or repaired I understand but this is just insanity. My property is pristine and while I do have a trailer I am living in while building I have vowed never to let this happen to my place: 

hoard.jpg

• Like 3

Burn barrel'sqfrAuuu.jpg are popular here in the winter time...We have no homeless place here,but Columbus does down town...But you can't see them,they are out of site.The law protects the property of people here.Not going to let it get like the West.Like Metallics,song,where I lay my head down is home.My neighbor sells burn barrel's.I bought one from him.They are common here .I've been burning since 93.https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1309926802888034/?ref=product_details&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 2

I used to have a garage full of Ford Fiesta parts,then gave them away when

I sold my last one.Then I had a garage full of Ford Cortina parts,& sold them off &

delivered them to TJ on a trip to Virginia after I sold my last one.

Then I got a '78 B210,& collected a garage full of parts,many NOS.When my

Wife had her job eliminated & we moved to SW Virginia,I decided to sell it,& throw in

all the parts.

That was one of the best things I ever did.Now when I go to a yard sale,etc.,I don't

buy anything unless I really need it. I actually have plenty of room in my garage,& plan

to keep it that way.

• Like 4

I have a neighbor down the street that inherited his parent house a few years back.The house was never kept up and kind of drags down value at that end of the street.The guys such a hoarder he'll pick up anything from anywhere and store it in his front yard.He's got a motorhome that hasn't moved in ten years.A jet boat next to it.An aluminum boat on top of the motorhome.He was storing shit on his roof.Every time the city cites him he cleans up a little bit and within a month he's back to shit scattered everywhere.He parks vehicles all over the neighborhood and moves them every 3 days to avoid a ticket.Every vehicle he owns is a beat up piece of shit that probably won't smog.The fire department finally got him to clean off his roof and the city is tired of dealing with him and us calling them about his shithole.I can only imagine what's inside this house.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Burn barrel'sqfrAuuu.jpg are popular here in the winter time...We have no homeless place here,but Columbus does down town...But you can't see them,they are out of site.The law protects the property of people here.Not going to let it get like the West.Like Metallics,song,where I lay my head down is home.My neighbor sells burn barrel's.I bought one from him.They are common here .I've been burning since 93.https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1309926802888034/?ref=product_details&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

Burning is banned in Boise. A burn barrel will get you arrested.

• Like 2

I am that house at the end of the street and would like to bring property values down, but I’m not doing a very good job. Taxable value went up 149500 last year, up 491200 in the last decade. An overwhelming majority of my neighbors are good people and now that Google maps archives property pictures, there is evidence that my property has changed very little from 2007-2022. It has remained the same longer, but 2007 is the first year we were Google Mapped. My point is they moved to My Neighborhood.

In regards to hoarding, control is a big part. It feels great, when something breaks and I have a replacement on hand. A few years back (recent history) the water heater went out. It lasted many years and (like many things) prices had climbed significantly, but the real shocker was the City wanted a permit = money and inspection = money and there were a bunch of new rules for water heaters =much more money. It took scrambling and a big financial hit to replace (probably a thread on Ratsun about it)

I mention it here, because now the water heater is some years old and holding and I have some real world experience with the brand and the model. If I found a deal on a similar or the same water heater, then a spare will get hoarded and there isn’t room for it. I want one, so I can be in control of when and what to purchase, in event of failure. Did not enjoy the stress and the bite of the last water heater replacement. I do not like being forced to buy on another’s timeline or in compliance to what a group of assholes think I need for MY safety. I don’t like water saving toilets, I don’t like water saving shower heads. The former plugs up more (ask you plumber friends) the latter just sucks. In the near future, hopefully +1 old toilet and +1 showerhead to the pile. Again, so I am not forced—controlled--to play other motherfuckers reindeer games.

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

I see he sells plastic burn barrels too!

• Haha 3

Remember the phrase ,, " all threads eventually turn into ______________s"   <<<  say it out loud like Red in Shawshank redemption sitting at wall.  

Weeeell fuck that shit,, out with the old ,, in with the new. ............   Every thread turns into burn barrels eventually

, and i for one couldn't be happier 

Burn barrels are also banned in This state , but does that stop us???  

oh come on 

FUCK NO!!   is the answer. 

Burning off some sticker bushes a few years ago. Notice the windmills on hill?? Those are south east of my property in Grayland WA . they were Put in 2011 or very near.  

There may or not be plastic pop bottles in pile keeping that going ,, whos to know for sure really. 

jWzp3A7.jpg

You are welcome America 

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 2
47 minutes ago, frankendat said:

Like a battered wife, my first thought was to defend Boise, politics wrecks the mind.

I dunno man after reading about your experiences in Idaho I'm kinda glad I'm still in California, for now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
On 4/6/2023 at 6:43 PM, john510 said:

I have a neighbor down the street that inherited his parent house a few years back.The house was never kept up and kind of drags down value at that end of the street.The guys such a hoarder he'll pick up anything from anywhere and store it in his front yard.He's got a motorhome that hasn't moved in ten years.A jet boat next to it.An aluminum boat on top of the motorhome.He was storing shit on his roof.Every time the city cites him he cleans up a little bit and within a month he's back to shit scattered everywhere.He parks vehicles all over the neighborhood and moves them every 3 days to avoid a ticket.Every vehicle he owns is a beat up piece of shit that probably won't smog.The fire department finally got him to clean off his roof and the city is tired of dealing with him and us calling them about his shithole.I can only imagine what's inside this house.

This is my Asshole nieghbor in Florida. My house in right next door and you get a  glimpse during the video. I am on a one lane private dirt road and this shithead opens up a tourist attraction complete with a tour boat that ties up behind his house and unloads tourists to gawk and scream at his art. He blasts theme music and had his customers use my front yard as a parking lot until I fenced it off. Hoarding of creepy arts draws creepy people. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/wvWFJ8jbapuiwwhp6

• Sad 1

I think we view things like homelessness and hoarding through our own logic and experience. After my folks divorced, my mom married an abusive POS alcoholic so I grew up poor as fuck in an upper middle class neighborhood. While living in the shadow of wealth, we ate our share of government cheese so to speak. I did everything I could to distance myself from the disfunction at home. I was delivering papers at 12 because $ was a source of freedom and independence which was very important to my "wellbeing". Shit got so bad, in my early teens, I had built a fort in the back canyon, and I planned to run away and live in it. One night I told my mom I was sleeping at a friends house to give it a test run. In my simple teenage mind I had envisioned it being like extended camping and had prepared as such. When I got there, someone had stolen my sleeping bag and lantern. I couldn't house my stuff safely there and it was a harsh lesson about being a prisoner of my belongings. I felt even more trapped. from then on, I whittled everything down to essentials, and until I met my wife, I could fit everything I owned into two moving boxes, because that was my concept of freedom.

After 2 kids , 11 years as a contractor, and 32 years of marriage our attic and garage are filled to the gills shit that NEVER gets used. Reading this thread I'm struck with the feeling of being trapped by all this stuff again. I have thousands of $ in tools and shop equipment that sits gathering dust. The sick part is that even though I'm blind, I can't bring myself to sell my tools. As if I'm ever going to use them again.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

May want to sell that table saw first! Actually getting rid of a few of those things especially to those that can use them will feel good. I had a small optimist sailing dinghy I would sail a couple of days a year reliving my youth. No interest in selling it. The local youth sailing program lost a bunch of thier boats in the hurricane. I asked if they could use an optimist. They said yes so I cleaned, tuned it up and donated to the sailing program. Felt awsome.

• Like 5

Attachment is the source of all pain. I think it's a Buddhist saying, but it may as well be mine now. I live by those words. Everything I have is for sale. How would I have room in my life for new adventures if I hung on to old stuff?

Which conveniently brings the conversation to Datsuns. I don't own one, nor do I want to. That page has been turned for me. Next chapter. There are so many vehicles on my hit list and I intend to own and build them all before I die.

• Like 5
49 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Attachment is the source of all pain. I think it's a Buddhist saying, but it may as well be mine now. 

"The cause of all suffering is desire" and "Your possessions own you" are two i live by and I believe they are Buddhist in origin. I sold a young man my spare set of 1970s Chevy Monte Carlo 15 rally wheels (no caps/no rings) last week. Dude is a huge fearless bear of a guy but couldn't figure out how to approach me about selling so his uncle reached out to me. I told his uncle, "You tell Nick I got $165 in that set and that's what I want for them". His uncle told him and the young man said i was crazy because that's a least a $300 set of wheels. I told him, "They're my wheels. I get to set my price". The young man showed up, paid me two $100 bills and tried to slip away quickly but I had a $20, a $10 and a $5 in my wallet ready for him. I got what I paid for them and in 48 hours they were painted, had new tires mounted on them and were carrying a 1980s S10 all over town. That beats the hell out of me having to work around them as they sit idle and gather rust.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

This is my Asshole nieghbor in Florida. My house in right next door and you get a  glimpse during the video. I am on a one lane private dirt road and this shithead opens up a tourist attraction complete with a tour boat that ties up behind his house and unloads tourists to gawk and scream at his art. He blasts theme music and had his customers use my front yard as a parking lot until I fenced it off. Hoarding of creepy arts draws creepy people. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/wvWFJ8jbapuiwwhp6

Bottomwatcher for the WIN! Your property tax structure is much better than mine, but that neighbor POWER SUCKS.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Ooph! said:

I dunno man after reading about your experiences in Idaho I'm kinda glad I'm still in California, for now.

If it wasn't for the 500lb property tax gorilla trying to force me from my home. If I'm honest, Idaho is still a better place to live than most, but it is much worse than it was and trending down.

There has been too much change too fast, Idaho has been changing and not for the better, since I was in high school, but in the last decade, gasoline was poured on that fire. 

Everyday events, like a trip across town, must be scheduled; try it during a peak traffic time and a 5 min run across town becomes an hour. When my sister lived in LA, a store run was an hour+ no matter the time.

There used to be access to wilderness, less than a hour away, you could ride your bicycle to places to shoot. Farms and ranches are now suburbs, trying to get away from civilization on a bicycle would be an overnight venture.

• Like 2