Homless possessions

4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Attachment is the source of all pain. I think it's a Buddhist saying, but it may as well be mine now. I live by those words. Everything I have is for sale. How would I have room in my life for new adventures if I hung on to old stuff?

Which conveniently brings the conversation to Datsuns. I don't own one, nor do I want to. That page has been turned for me. Next chapter. There are so many vehicles on my hit list and I intend to own and build them all before I die.

3 hours ago, a.d._510_n_ok said:

"The cause of all suffering is desire" and "Your possessions own you" are two i live by and I believe they are Buddhist in origin. I sold a young man my spare set of 1970s Chevy Monte Carlo 15 rally wheels (no caps/no rings) last week. Dude is a huge fearless bear of a guy but couldn't figure out how to approach me about selling so his uncle reached out to me. I told his uncle, "You tell Nick I got $165 in that set and that's what I want for them". His uncle told him and the young man said i was crazy because that's a least a $300 set of wheels. I told him, "They're my wheels. I get to set my price". The young man showed up, paid me two $100 bills and tried to slip away quickly but I had a $20, a $10 and a $5 in my wallet ready for him. I got what I paid for them and in 48 hours they were painted, had new tires mounted on them and were carrying a 1980s S10 all over town. That beats the hell out of me having to work around them as they sit idle and gather rust.

Good advice and much appreciated. Reminds me of Master Yoda's lesson about letting go.

Much like The DIY Force, tools represent the power to create and repair, which is a large part of my identity, so it's a hard one to let go. I've done some amazing things with them, but it's time for me to pass my DIY Force on to the next Jedi. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, thisismatt said:

If only there was a moderator/admin here that could correct the title spelling 🤔

doubtful, most admins here can't spell. 

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Which conveniently brings the conversation to Datsuns. I don't own one, nor do I want to. That page has been turned for me. Next chapter. There are so many vehicles on my hit list and I intend to own and build them all before I die.

Holy crap don't leave us because you don't have a Datsun. Your knowledge has been priceless here. I promise I will start working on my yota axles. Shamelessly  and selfishly asking you not to leave at least until I finish SAS!

• Like 4
13 hours ago, thisismatt said:

If only there was a moderator/admin here that could correct the title spelling 🤔

He’s in a British commonwealth.. I’m just happy he didn’t arbitrarily use an extra U somewhere in the word . 

• Like 2

Your tax money at work. What you're seeing is another example of the forced generosity of the taxpayers. Most taxpayers have no idea of the huge amount of fraud, waste and abuse associated with social services. A lot of the modern homeless lifestyle wouldn't exist as it is now, without funding by the taxpayers. In my opinion, there should be shelters that provide spartan sleeping space, a place to shower with lukewarm water, a very small place to store valuables and is only open for sleeping and showering at night. No hanging out or flopping. The funny part is in a lot of ways criminals and homeless have more rights than tax paying productive members of society. Sacramento, DPRK lost millions in lawsuits for cleaning up homeless camps and throwing their property away, instead of inventorying and storing it and giving notice on how it could be retrieved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, paradime said:

Good advice and much appreciated. Reminds me of Master Yoda's lesson about letting go.

Much like The DIY Force, tools represent the power to create and repair, which is a large part of my identity, so it's a hard one to let go. I've done some amazing things with them, but it's time for me to pass my DIY Force on to the next Jedi. 

17 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Holy crap don't leave us because you don't have a Datsun. Your knowledge has been priceless here. I promise I will start working on my yota axles. Shamelessly  and selfishly asking you not to leave at least until I finish SAS!

Oh, I would never sell tools. They can be used to make things, and making things brings joy and cash, so...

Also, I haven't owned a Datsun for a decade. I used the Datsun subject to bring the conversation back to why we're all here, but also wanted to point out that I was able to cut the cord with Datsun ownership so I could focus on broader horizons.

I'm still here. Don't fret young man. (and thanks)

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Oh, I would never sell tools. They can be used to make things, and making things brings joy and cash, so...

Also, I haven't owned a Datsun for a decade. I used the Datsun subject to bring the conversation back to why we're all here, but also wanted to point out that I was able to cut the cord with Datsun ownership so I could focus on broader horizons.

You just love (some of) us!! 😍🥰

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Thanks, but I think we are around the same age. Pushing 52 here but My datsun makes me feel like I am 17 when I got it. Well maybe not my lower back on longer trips but those are rare anymore anyways.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I stopped by & visited with another MG owner.He was going through

his tools,& asked me (more than once) "Do you want this".I resisted the urge

to take them,except for a hose clamp tool,which I didn't have.

Am I getting smarter in my old age?

• Like 4

I've been homeless living in a camper van before for a while to get out of a bad situation. I've also moved twice taking only what basically fit into my B210 and leaving all the rest. I've had my stuff left with "trustworthy" people be gone through and stolen also. I've also had to pack everything I could into a van and be ready to leave in a moment's notice due to fire risk.  I've found outside of actual vehicles I can condense all of what I own (including family stuff) into one storage shed and live without it all for over a year without too much trouble. I like having a bunch of tools and the ability to do whatever project I want to tinker with at the time. It is not necessary, but I do feel it improves my quality of life. I also worry about what crap I might be leaving behind for my kids when I go and what stuff will get tossed. Part of the reason sometimes I am more likely to sell or give away some cool or rare part if it might go to someone who will use it on their vehicle, my mood completely depending. 

Having said that, I have found it a bit easier as I get older to turn down the "Free stuff" that is to good to "Throw out" as I think hoarding is somewhat of a natural response to not having things/resources at times. I can recognize it as a sort of default "bad habit" and try not to do it too much (I've not been that successful lately though 😄).

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 5

Recently did some traveling on the highway. Those hoses , I think, are the lines between the cab and trailer on a semi. Red and blue? Never thought of this when I saw them but did right away the first semi I passed.

I ordering a scrap metal dumpster to be delivered. I'm clearing out a lot of metal parts. Time to...

tumblr_pey9cpg4fO1xch6xgo2_400.gifv

• Like 2
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Recently did some traveling on the highway. Those hoses , I think, are the lines between the cab and trailer on a semi. Red and blue? Never thought of this when I saw them but did right away the first semi I passed.

I ordering a scrap metal dumpster to be delivered. I'm clearing out a lot of metal parts. Time to...

tumblr_pey9cpg4fO1xch6xgo2_400.gifv

come on old timer ,,, it's now 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47mon4lyxr61b4ukdp2v

• Like 2