Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, pablo said:

in 2006 congress forced USPS to repay 75 years of retiree benefits in 10 years - thats the problem

They are being forced to follow the same rules as private employers.

The company I worked for is also having to put more money into it's retirement funds to come up to the required funding level so the retirement money will be there and the Govt. won't have to bail them out.

I know mechanics at United that had that happen to them and they received about a 4th of what they should have and needed to go back to work after retiring, now that sucks .

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/11/business/united-air-wins-right-to-default-on-its-employee-pension-plans.html

Edited by Ooph!
added link
11 hours ago, BrothersGarage said:

Soooo.....Whats everyone's thoughts on what's going on with USPS? 

I think they'll be fine.I prefer to use them over UPS or Fedex.I buy a lot on Ebay and the USPS seems to have the most accurate delivery dates.I shipped a fishing reel to Hawaii last week.UPS wanted 80 bucks ! That was too much.I go to the post office and it was 22 bucks delivered in 4 days.They'll work something out.With the crap i've seen from UPS and Fedex through the years i don't want to rely on them.

• Like 2

How Three Texas Counties Created Personal Social Security Accounts and Prospered

Across the country, state and local governments are facing huge unfunded liabilities for their employee pension plans.  And then there’s Social Security.

But three neighboring Texas counties, which opted out of Social Security 30 years ago by creating personal retirement accounts, have avoided a fiscal train wreck while providing retirees with even more retirement income.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillmatthews/2011/05/12/how-three-texas-counties-created-personal-social-security-accounts-and-prospered/#7133e6e63283

• Like 2
1 hour ago, a.d._510_n_ok said:

How Three Texas Counties Created Personal Social Security Accounts and Prospered

Across the country, state and local governments are facing huge unfunded liabilities for their employee pension plans.  And then there’s Social Security.

But three neighboring Texas counties, which opted out of Social Security 30 years ago by creating personal retirement accounts, have avoided a fiscal train wreck while providing retirees with even more retirement income.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillmatthews/2011/05/12/how-three-texas-counties-created-personal-social-security-accounts-and-prospered/#7133e6e63283

My mother is on a pension like that.California school teachers union.She was hired in 1971 and worked 35 years as a kindergarten teacher.She never paid into social security but instead something like this.She's got life time health insurance and a pretty decent monthly check.She ain't broke that's for sure.She's also not eligible for SS benefits or Medicare.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, angliagt said:

ATTENTION CALIFORNIANS - Please keep your politicians IN California.

We don't want them.

Thank You!

Some of us don't want them here either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, angliagt said:

ATTENTION CALIFORNIANS - Please keep your politicians IN California.

We don't want them.

Thank You!

I hear one of em is looking at a house in Washington.  

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, john510 said:

I think they'll be fine.I prefer to use them over UPS or Fedex.I buy a lot on Ebay and the USPS seems to have the most accurate delivery dates.I shipped a fishing reel to Hawaii last week.UPS wanted 80 bucks ! That was too much.I go to the post office and it was 22 bucks delivered in 4 days.They'll work something out.With the crap i've seen from UPS and Fedex through the years i don't want to rely on them.

I completely agree and the prices from FexEx and UPS are typically 2 to 5 times higher that USPS.  But I also know that Hawaii is a unique perspective as everything needs to get flown here.  USPS does it for less every single time.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, john510 said:

My mother is on a pension like that.California school teachers union.She was hired in 1971 and worked 35 years as a kindergarten teacher.She never paid into social security but instead something like this.She's got life time health insurance and a pretty decent monthly check.She ain't broke that's for sure.She's also not eligible for SS benefits or Medicare.

Pretty sure CALSTRS is a mess also. My wife was in...we moved the money into an IRA when she quit.

• Like 1

The richest households pay half of what they did in the 80's.  effective rates of 24% vs 48%.  Our deficit has been going up commensurately.  This is a 0.4% tax.  The media has got you guys so riled up about taxing the rich you are actually throwing the country into a death spiral, all to help them get richer.  And the notion that they earned it they should keep it gets washed the fuck away when you compare what they do to earn million dollar salaries compared to what guys earning $50-$100K do to earn their wages.  Earning is a very relative term.  Similar to taxation needs to be relative.  Turn off your TV's and YouTube internet presto reporters.  Listen to economists and people who actually know how taxes work.  

• Like 1