Remember Harrold Ballard? NHL wanted... demanded, names on the uniforms which he refused to do. So when forced to, he had the blue lettering stitched onto a blue background as a fuck you. The rule had to be rewritten. We need more like him..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Remember Harrold Ballard? NHL wanted... demanded, names on the uniforms which he refused to do. So when forced to, he had the blue lettering stitched onto a blue background as a fuck you. The rule had to be rewritten. We need more like him..

I didn't, but I did look it up.  Fun story and totally something I'd do.  

But it sounds like he both got fined, and complied with the rule so perhaps not a success story.  

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Chopper Jim said:

The NFL has now made it mandatory for all the players to wear the BLM logo on their helmets.

Won't be watching football, Nascar. What's next? So much more free time.

Chopper Jim

I wonder how many people are caught up in the BLM thing,just because it's the "IN" thing?

Now that they're on a roll,they want to bend over backwards,for anything having to do with Black people.

How about we just treat other fairly?

• Like 3

Black privilege I guess.

1 hour ago, tr8er said:

I didn't, but I did look it up.  Fun story and totally something I'd do.  

But it sounds like he both got fined, and complied with the rule so perhaps not a success story.  

It was inevitable, but go down fighting!!! Remember Korean flight 007, the jet that the Russians shot down near Japan? Well the Moscow Circus was in town at Maple Leaf Gardens. He  cancelled them. Took a hit from breach of contract, but again, 'fuck them'. Meanwhile the gov. was running around with heads up their asses.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-11-14-sp-1747-story.html

In the years since, however, Ballard’s position has not softened and he has reveled in the little things he could do to slight the Soviets. In September of 1983, he canceled an appearance of the Moscow Circus at Maple Leaf Gardens. That was in response to the downing by Soviet fighter jets of Korean Air Lines’ Flight 007, in which 269 people died.

Two years later, when a Soviet team played the Canadian Olympic team in the Gardens, this message flashed on the scoreboard: “Remember Korean Air Lines Flight 007 Shot Down By The Russians. Don’t Cheer. Just Boo.” It was signed, “Harold.”

Ballard has bragged that, upon visiting Lenin’s tomb in Moscow, he urinated on the monument and then put a Maple Leaf sticker on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, angliagt said:

I wonder how many people are caught up in the BLM thing,just because it's the "IN" thing?

Now that they're on a roll,they want to bend over backwards,for anything having to do with Black people.

How about we just treat other fairly?

That's racist

• Haha 1
On 6/10/2020 at 6:05 PM, gene knight said:

well nascar caved in and saying they are removing confederate flags on the racetracks, as a veteran, i am sick and tired of these whiny ass protesting leftists/liberals destroying my america that i and many others served and defended for. we, the american patriots need to stand up to the terrorists take our country back. i say if you don't america get out.

I don't normally cruise this section, but I can't let this go.

There is more than one answer.

There is such a thing as middle ground.

There is such a thing as a democrat who stands for things that matter.

There are democrats that love to hunt and fish, own guns, live rural, have normal hair (no man buns) drive trucks, love Nascar, love the constitution, love diesel power, love less regulations, love being left alone and want the government off their back.

I am one of those democrats and I would venture to bet that you and I have more in common than you would think if we met outside of the automotive community.

Taking down statues and banning the confederate flag is a topic I think of, to myself, a lot. I can see both sides. If I were the man in charge of this matter, I might leave the statues, but maybe move them to a museum, or maybe just leave them where they are and erect more monuments to more of the "other" heroes. Taking down these statues to me is like burning books. We can't deny our history, but we shouldn't celebrate our atrocities either. See what I mean. I just contradicted myself in two seconds, hence,  there's no simple answer.

My 4 times great uncle was U S Grant. And I love the south.

I love America and don't want to get out. Where else can I go that would be any better?

***Disclaimer - use of the word "other" is in no way a disparaging comment to any race, color, creed or type of race car. ***

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here's the thing man, the democratic party of today DOES NOT WANT the type of democrat you are. They don't want the type of democrat Bill Clinton was. 

Give them enough time and they will be tearing statues of JFK down. There is no room for middle ground in the democratic party. Those days have passed brother.

Edited by AlexDeLarge
  • Like 6

I agree somewhat....my beef with the repubs is that they are pussies (mainly speaking of Graham, Jordan, McConnel and the like). All words

and no action. Everybody thinks the president is "all powerful"....bullshit. He can only do so much as there are far more powerful forces pulling the strings. 

They ALL can't fucking stand Trump because he is not one of them, a outsider. He fucked up their game, their political theater. Why do you think the dems have been pulling their shit since day one? Russian hoax, collusion, Kavanaugh, Ukraine, Covid pandemic (hmm, seems awful convenient. Is covid real? yes Is the pandemic a hoax? yes, prepping us for submission and wrecking our economy. 1918 Spanish Flu killed 675,000 Americans with a third of today's population. 1969 Hong Flu killed 1 million worldwide and 100,000 in the US.....schools did not close, the economy was not shut down. All of this fear mongering shit is driven by the media to the sheeple) now the dems are going with their new USPS mail in voting bullshit. Now we have looting and riots and black lives matter shoved down our throats thanks to the liberal media and what do the dems have to say about the destruction? Nothing. The republican pussies need to start playing hardball, because the dems are and know how to play the game.

Edited by AlexDeLarge
  • Like 5

You hit the nail on the head - there is no room for the middle in the democratic party. Until they figure that out, they (we) will continue to lose elections. This holier than thou elitist attitude that the democratic party holds on to is pathetic. I still call myself a democrat, but truth is, if John McCain hadn't had that stupid ignoramus as a running mate, I would have voted for him. I guarantee that if McCain had been elected, we wouldn't be here now.

Some say that I am more of a libertarian, but I hate labels. Labels are the reason we are even here debating this topic. Because people think that everyone in "that" party are doing this to me.

Think past the label and past the party affiliation and look at the person.

Edit - this should read "elitist attitude that the democratic party has adopted", not holds on to. They weren't always that way.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 4
35 minutes ago, AlexDeLarge said:

Here's the thing man, the democratic party of today DOES NOT WANT the type of democrat you are. They don't want the type of democrat Bill Clinton was. 

Give them enough time and they will be tearing statues of JFK down. There is no room for middle ground in the democratic party. Those days have passed brother.

As was said above, Redcaps done this to Republicans, as well as the tea party era.  Democrats are a huge group with many leanings.   Narrow thinking that is pushed hard by conservative headlines.   That said, this is a terrible time do defend Democrats...  everyone being hardheaded, selfish, narrow minded politicians.  

• Like 1

All I know is this.....

Stoffgren, Trader, John510, Chopper Jim, Datzunmike, AD510nOK, Datsunguy, I don't know how old you guys are but I am 47.

Seems to me, more and more lately, that most everything I was raised and taught that was right and good is increasingly seen as wrong and

everything I was raised and taught that was bad and wrong is now seen as good. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I don't normally cruise this section, but I can't let this go.

There is more than one answer.

There is such a thing as middle ground.

There is such a thing as a democrat who stands for things that matter.

There are democrats that love to hunt and fish, own guns, live rural, have normal hair (no man buns) drive trucks, love Nascar, love the constitution, love diesel power, love less regulations, love being left alone and want the government off their back.

I am one of those democrats and I would venture to bet that you and I have more in common than you would think if we met outside of the automotive community.

Taking down statues and banning the confederate flag is a topic I think of, to myself, a lot. I can see both sides. If I were the man in charge of this matter, I might leave the statues, but maybe move them to a museum, or maybe just leave them where they are and erect more monuments to more of the "other" heroes. Taking down these statues to me is like burning books. We can't deny our history, but we shouldn't celebrate our atrocities either. See what I mean. I just contradicted myself in two seconds, hence,  there's no simple answer.

My 4 times great uncle was U S Grant. And I love the south.

I love America and don't want to get out. Where else can I go that would be any better?

***Disclaimer - use of the word "other" is in no way a disparaging comment to any race, color, creed or type of race car. ***

I agree with all of this except for the "celebrating atrocities" part.Those statues weren't there for celebrating.I think they need to be there as a reminder to not repeat those mistakes.It's history that shouldn't be forgotten.

• Like 6
31 minutes ago, AlexDeLarge said:

I agree somewhat....my beef with the repubs is that they are pussies (mainly speaking of Graham, Jordan, McConnel and the like). All words

and no action. Everybody thinks the president is "all powerful"....bullshit. He can only do so much as there are far more powerful forces pulling the strings. 

They ALL can't fucking stand Trump because he is not one of them, a outsider. He fucked up their game, their political theater. Why do you think the dems have been pulling their shit since day one? Russian hoax, collusion, Kavanaugh, Ukraine, Covid pandemic (hmm, seems awful convenient. Is covid real? yes Is the pandemic a hoax? yes, prepping us for submission and wrecking our economy. 1918 Spanish Flu killed 675,000 Americans with a third of today's population. 1969 Hong Flu killed 1 million worldwide and 100,000 in the US.....schools did not close, the economy was not shut down. All of this fear mongering shit is driven by the media to the sheeple) now the dems are going with their new USPS mail in voting bullshit. Now we have looting and riots and black lives matter shoved down our throats thanks to the liberal media and what do the dems have to say about the destruction? Nothing. The republican pussies need to start playing hardball, because the dems are and know how to play the game.

I think Trump is a piece of shit. The one thing that a president needs to do is to unite. This conversation is proof positive. He gets you and I pointing fingers at each other and running off on rants about who is doing what, what's bullshit and what's a hoax. He is masterful at dividing the people. If any one trait is utmost important of a public politician, it is to unite. A united people is a safe people, a productive people.

McCarthy and Trump can be compared directly. Their manner is the same. Their message is the same. History has proven that McCarthy was wrong.

If our country needs change, there are other ways to do it.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, AlexDeLarge said:

All I know is this.....

Stoffgren, Trader, John510, Chopper Jim, Datzunmike, AD510nOK, Datsunguy, I don't know how old you guys are but I am 47.

Seems to me, more and more lately, that most everything I was raised and taught that was right and good is increasingly seen as wrong and

Ain't that the truth.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, john510 said:

I agree with all of this except for the "celebrating atrocities" part.Those statues weren't there for celebrating.I think they need to be there as a reminder to not repeat those mistakes.It's history that shouldn't be forgotten.

Great point. Even a bad example is still a good reminder how not to repeat history.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, AlexDeLarge said:

All I know is this.....

We're the same age. And I see the same thing.

• Like 3

A few months ago, I googled "are Germans proud of their past" and I found an interesting dissection of German populous that were more or less divided. It was largely based on age, the older the person, the less proud they were. I'm speaking of the holocaust of course. The younger Germans found it hard to identify with while the older Germans were embarrassed of their country's behavior during and leading up to WWI and WWII.

I think the same can be applied to the Nascar confederate flag issue. I would bet that most of the opposition comes in the form of young people.

Maybe I'm wrong. Probably actually, but I mention it because I feel we are going through a similar phase in America, and I am curious to see how the historians write it up. I'll be dead by then, but I still wonder.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I think Trump is a piece of shit. The one thing that a president needs to do is to unite. This conversation is proof positive. He gets you and I pointing fingers at each other and running off on rants about who is doing what, what's bullshit and what's a hoax. He is masterful at dividing the people. If any one trait is utmost important of a public politician, it is to unite. A united people is a safe people, a productive people.

McCarthy and Trump can be compared directly. Their manner is the same. Their message is the same. History has proven that McCarthy was wrong.

If our country needs change, there are other ways to do it.

I used to think a similar thing on Trump, but then you got to start to wonder? Is he purposefully divisive, or is he just not like all the other crap eating surrender monkeys and just bowing to the relentless bullishit that now the expected current normal? I cant tell you one way or another, but you got to question.  

• Like 4