70 Datsun 521 newbie

Greaser2

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I built an LZ23, Z22 block bored out to 89mm, stock Z24 pistons, basically 219 head(made my own race head out of W53 closed chamber head) with  stock L20b cam, I was told it worked out to 8.9 to 1 compression ratio, I burn regular pump gas so I re-curved my matchbox distributor to stop the knocking, very strong engine, even in my work truck which weighs 3900lbs it will walk away from a Z24/Weber in a 521.

Best upgrade I have ever made was going from a L16 to an L20b.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So, getting everything broken down, having problems with brake line fittings. Seems I can get the fittings broken loose but the fittings are rusted solid to the brake lines so I can twist them till the lines brake. 3/16 brake lines?  Should I just go ahead and upgrade to something else?

• Like 1

I use heat from a mapp torch to heat the threads. If there is corrosion around the fitting making it hard to turn the fitting on the metal line, try squirting it down and working it back and forth until it spins freely. Caution - this fusing of the fitting to the metal line could be bad enough to cause the metal line to fail, so it's your judgement call to use it or replace it.

• Like 1
On 7/1/2019 at 9:41 AM, banzai510(hainz) said:

try PB Blaster and let soak for a few days

I used WD 40 since I got multiple can but did this for several days. Cautiously twisted back and forth over several days till it finally loosened up. Patience is the key. 

• Like 1

Waiting on a wheel hub seal to finish installing rear end back on so lowered my seat instead. Not sure what this bench came out of but with its brackets it was about 2 inches higher than stock. Removed the brackets and made new ones to get it lower and back.  At 6 foot and 250 need every inch I can get. 

gURJAKO.jpgCd4GFyD.jpg

• Like 7

My guess would be around 3 1/2" blocks plus a shim, close to 4", this may be an issue with 14" rims, either the shock mounts or ends of the U-bolts will drag on the ground if he gets a flat, in the end the shock mounts will drag if the u-bolts are trimmed.

Some folks don't care if stuff drags, I have seen photos of the lower shock mount/shock stud almost completely ground off from dragging on the ground.

• Like 1